Canny team !

Benwell Lad

Given/Harper

Beye  Coloccini  Bassong  Enrique

Jonas    Guthrie  Barton      Duff

Owen  Martins

Cover and substitutes from  Given/Harper, Taylor, Cacapa, Zogbia, Butt, Geremi, Gonzalez, Viduka, Xisco, Smith, Carrol, Shola and a few others.

Realise the XI will be up for debate, and injuries and suspensions will always blur things but that side would be top 8 material imo and just shows how depleted and shapeless we've been in the last few weeks.

The depth of the squad isn't as bad as people make out, its the quality of the first team that is our problem. With everyone fit we'd have a pretty strong looking bench, and some "name" players wouldn't even make it.

We have too many players who should be good, but just aren't.

Enrique is the new Luque, he has zero interest in Newcastle United. The sheer lack of bottle, I could see it in his eyes yesterday  :kasper: Hate him.

Enrique is the new Luque, he has zero interest in Newcastle United. The sheer lack of bottle, I could see it in his eyes yesterday  :kasper: Hate him.

Really don't have a clue where you're coming from.

its dead easy to label someone "the new Luque" instead of looking at things on a whole.

i tell you what, Souness was on the tele yesterday saying your only one game away from Disaster at Newcastle. In a way he's right. Of course yesterday it was a good result, however, Enrique, who didnt have a particular bad game, all of a sudden is the new Luque. Classic.

/rant over

Is that the Enrique who plays left back for Newcastle ?

Cos if it is you're seeing a completely different person/player to the one I am.

Cos if it is you're seeing a completely different person/player to the one I am.

plenum's on the wind-up surely!

plenum's on the wind-up surely!

Enrique played a lovely ball through for Zog in first half , he played oryt imo

I'd not call him the Luque, but there's something about Enrique that just seems a bit shit.

He's an intelligent full-back, reads the game well and generally stops his man in one on one situations. He's fairly neat and tidy in possession too for the most part, and his distribution while often a mixed bag can be quite good on occasion.

But everything about him seems to be sort of in slow motion. Doesn't seem to play with any intensity whatsoever. Yakubu's chance early on yesterday he seemed to just stand there waiting for the ball to come to him when he should have been going at it full pelt to stop him getting the shot away.

It's frustrating, because there's the makings of a good player there. Think he might just be a bit of a pansy, unfortunately.

I'd not call him the Luque, but there's something about Enrique that just seems a bit s***.

He's an intelligent full-back, reads the game well and generally stops his man in one on one situations. He's fairly neat and tidy in possession too for the most part, and his distribution while often a mixed bag can be quite good on occasion.

But everything about him seems to be sort of in slow motion. Doesn't seem to play with any intensity whatsoever. Yakubu's chance early on yesterday he seemed to just stand there waiting for the ball to come to him when he should have been going at it full pelt to stop him getting the shot away.

It's frustrating, because there's the makings of a good player there. Think he might just be a bit of a pansy, unfortunately.

He's just a bit rusty , have faith he's only 22

I'd not call him the Luque, but there's something about Enrique that just seems a bit s***.

I remember him clattering one or two opponents last season, so I wouldn't say pansy

I remember him clattering one or two opponents last season, so I wouldn't say pansy

I would go as far to say physical strength is one of his main attributes.

Enrique ain't that bad. Like one guy above said, he's only 22 years old. Despite the fact that some will say this comes down to professionalism, one can hide the fact that playing under (what?) his third manager in just a year might have some effect...

Guest Ice__Mag

I like enrique, I think he should get a long run in the team with the Zog ahead of him so they can build a good understanding. I think with the experience the Zog has picked up playing at LB they could work together very well.

Incredible optimism and almost blind disregard for recent form/circumstances:

1. Coloccini has been ok so far, hardly brilliant.

2. Bassong is a kid and there is no real basis other than a couple of fleeting games to say he is a player that could be relied upon as a 1st team regular for a full season that would get us 8th or better.

3. Enrique - jury very much out - in and out of the team, injuries, form whatever - another player that has yet to prove reliable.

4. Barton - the most incredible out of them all - hasn't played a game for us yet this season, no pre-season fitness and mentally it is highly debatable he will ever get back to where he was with Man City.

5. Duff - well past his best, will perform in fits and starts but physically not at the races.

6. Guthrie - while has been excellent at times, is still very young and should not be relied upon as a 1st team regular at the moment, a full season playing every game would definetely take its toll - before his suspension I thought he was looking jaded already.

Canny? Methink not.

Given/Harper

Beye   Coloccini   Bassong   Enrique

Jonas    Guthrie   Barton      Duff

Owen  Martins

Cover and substitutes from  Given/Harper, Taylor, Cacapa, Zogbia, Butt, Geremi, Gonzalez, Viduka, Xisco, Smith, Carrol, Shola and a few others.

Realise the XI will be up for debate, and injuries and suspensions will always blur things but that side would be top 8 material imo and just shows how depleted and shapeless we've been in the last few weeks.

Not sure about top 8 tbh. One half decent performance isn't going to paper over the cracks. There's a problem with goals there for a start. Too much reliance on the strikers with not enough coming from the midfielders.

Harsh to judge Enrique on yesterday after a long injury lay off. Let's see how he's shaping up after a couple of games in.

Guest TheKingOfNewcastle

There's no way I'd put Duff in the team before N'Zogbia. Also a Guthrie/Barton midfield is not good enough for top 8.

The depth of the squad isn't as bad as people make out, its the quality of the first team that is our problem. With everyone fit we'd have a pretty strong looking bench, and some "name" players wouldn't even make it.

We have too many players who should be good, but just aren't.

I tend to agree about the depth of the squad being better than people make out, although the quality of that will always be open to debate.

The current injury situation has made things appear a lot worse than what they really are and while it would be nice to have a few more good players ready to slot into the team at times like this, it would be incredibly difficult to keep these players happy when other players return fit and they can't even make the bench.