The Newcastle United Transfer Thread: D-Day [Spoiler: Not Much Happens]

LooneyToonArmy

I think everyone should take note, the last time we made signings of any substance in January was when we brought in the Boumsong-Faye-Babayaro trifecta in 2005.

Even disregarding the instability at the club and our insane manager, I wouldn't be holding my breath for any signings.

I think everyone should take note, the last time we made signings of any substance in January was when we brought in the Boumsong-Faye-Babayaro trifecta in 2005.

Even disregarding the instability at the club and our insane manager, I wouldn't be holding my breath for any signings.

Aye, agree with this; it seems to have been forgotten. No one really makes any major progress in the January transfer window. You could probably count on two hands the number of genuinely significant signings made in all the January transfer windows.

Faye and Babayaro were what they were - shit wasters from the dregs. I'll bet anything that Kinnear's after the same calibre of player. They're attainable.

I cannot imagine we will get any quality players in January with the state the club are in - players would be mad to commit to the club at this point and Ashley will not spend that kind of cash.  There may be some decent loan signings available but other than that I would be amazed if we signed anyone worth getting excited about.

If we do sign anyone, I wonder if they will add a relegation clause to the contract!

Currant Bun:

Juan for the Toon

By STEVE BRENNER

NEWCASTLE are set to make a transfer window swoop in January for Fiorentina’s Peruvian midfielder Juan Vargas.

The 25-year-old ace is rated at around £8million but has failed to settle in Serie A.

And he would be available on loan with a view to a permanent switch in the summer.

Director of football Dennis Wise jetted to Italy last weekend only to find Vargas was crocked.

But Toon gaffer Joe Kinnear has already seen and heard enough to want to bring him over to St James’ Park.

Vargas can play at left-back, left wing or in central midfield — and would instill some much needed creativity into the struggling Toon.

Currant Bun:

Juan for the Toon

By STEVE BRENNER

NEWCASTLE are set to make a transfer window swoop in January for Fiorentina’s Peruvian midfielder Juan Vargas.

The 25-year-old ace is rated at around £8million but has failed to settle in Serie A.

And he would be available on loan with a view to a permanent switch in the summer.

Director of football Dennis Wise jetted to Italy last weekend only to find Vargas was crocked.

But Toon gaffer Joe Kinnear has already seen and heard enough to want to bring him over to St James’ Park.

Vargas can play at left-back, left wing or in central midfield — and would instill some much needed creativity into the struggling Toon.

He's hardly failed to settle. Played in Serie A for two years before moving to a bigger club for a nice fee.

Juan for the Toon

By STEVE BRENNER

Good work Dennis!

Bolton Wanderers hope to further undermine Kinnear’s midfield resources by competing with Wigan Athletic for Butt’s signature.

The Trotters were interested in Butt when he left Manchester United in 2004.

United do not want to sell, but with the former England international’s contract due to run out in the summer, the North West clubs will aim to persuade them to let him go for a cut price in January.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/12/11/joe-hoping-for-luck-in-january-sale-61634-22453415/

Newcastle manager Joe Kinnear is ready to make Real Betis captain and Spain international Juanito one of the three players he is hoping to recruit in the January transfer window.

juanito

Juanito's failure to agree a new deal has alerted Newcastle

Kinnear is keen to strengthen the centre of his defence and Juanito is an outstanding candidate and in great form at the age of 32..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1093794/Kinnear-sets-sights-veteran-Spain-defender-Juanito.html

F

ormer Newcastle reserve team boss Adam Sadler was today poised to join Norwich City's management team after the exit of assistant manager Lee Clark.

With Clark taking over as manager of Huddersfield Town - a prospect angrily ruled out by manager Glenn Roeder only last week - 28-year-old Sadler was already in the dug-out for the Canaries' 2-1 Championship defeat at Watford last night.

It is unclear whether Sadler is in line to become the new number two, with first team coach Paul Stephenson and goalkeeping coach Tommy Wright, who has managed in Northern Ireland, also plausible candidates to move up.

http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/content/Sport/story.aspx?brand=ENOnline&category=Sport&tBrand=ENOnline&tCategory=Sport&itemid=NOED11%20Dec%202008%2008%3A53%3A06%3A350

We were linked witht his guy in the summer weren't we?

He was one of the sort of not so obvious types we were linked with throughout the summer and it was hard to tell if we were really after them or not.

Should be interesting to see if we bring a number of these types of players in January. It would probably be a clear indication that Wise and his team were really after these sorts, which Keegan wasn't as comfortable with.

He was one of the sort of not so obvious types we were linked with throughout the summer and it was hard to tell if we were really after them or not.

Should be interesting to see if we bring a number of these types of players in January. It would probably be a clear indication that Wise and his team were really after these sorts, which Keegan wasn't as comfortable with.

That's what I reckon, I think we would have seen many more signings but Keegan wouldn't approve these and Ashley would only back Keegan if Wise said Keegan's targets were worth signing, then on the last day Ashley, Wise et al got sick and bought Xisco and loaned Nachoman.

Who knows who we would have signed had Keegan approved them.

That's what I reckon, I think we would have seen many more signings but Keegan wouldn't approve these and Ashley would only back Keegan if Wise said Keegan's targets were worth signing, then on the last day Ashley, Wise et al got sick and bought Xisco and loaned Nachoman.

Likewise who knows who we would of signed if KK had been left do the bidding for the first team.

There was this fellow from Valencia available on loan by the name of Nacho Gonzalez....

There was this fellow from Valencia available on loan by the name of Nacho Gonzalez....

Hmm?  I explained that in the line above Wise et al probably got sick and just bought/loaned them anyway as Keegan had been rejecting alot of players. 

I don't know if this is true but it would explain the whole crazy saga as to why they were signed at the last minute and why Keegan walked as previously he had been able to reject players even if not neccesarily able to go for his own targets.  Guthrie would be the only one I could feasibly see as a keegan signing

Which so called hidden gems did KK stop the club signing? As we signed: Jak Alnwick a England U16 goalkeeper, Aaron Spear the so called next Wayne Rooney & Nile was singed.

Every player singed (not loaned) for the first team level had played in the Europe's best leagues last year & all were either internationals or U internationals, hardly unknowns plucked from South America or some shanty town in Africa..

Which so called hidden gems did KK stop the club signing? As we signed: Jak Alnwick a England U16 goalkeeper, Aaron Spear the so called next Wayne Rooney & Nile was singed.

Every player singed (not loaned) for the first team level had played in the Europe's best leagues last year & all were either internationals or U internationals, hardly unknowns plucked from South America or some shanty town in Africa..

I don't think KK would have any say on youth players tbh.  I'm not sure if he did prevent us from sisgning someone, I just think it would make sense if he did.  He certainly wasn't allowed to go for his own targets or we would have had at least one from the scottish leagues as Keegan kept on goin on about it.

I don't think KK would have any say on youth players tbh.  I'm not sure if he did prevent us from sisgning someone, I just think it would make sense if he did.  He certainly wasn't allowed to go for his own targets or we would have had at least one from the scottish leagues as Keegan kept on goin on about it.

Know that for a fact do you?

That will do for me :thup:

I know that Keegan said it about 15 times.

And that proves that we would have bought players from there then? I also remember him saying he wouldn't be buying South American players.

Was that not the great English press thinking KK has lived in Scotland for a bit so he will want to sign jocks.

Was that not the great English press thinking KK has lived in Scotland for a bit so he will want to sign jocks.

You may be right, I'll see if there were any direct quotes from him later, I do think it's pretty safe to say though that Keegan was not allowed to sign all of his transfer targets, maybe Guthrie excepted.