The Newcastle United Transfer Thread: D-Day [Spoiler: Not Much Happens]

LooneyToonArmy

Bassong, I like him but Upson's a better player and Bassong has plenty of time on his side to become a top player for us in the future (that's not to say he shouldn't have the chance to play ahead of Colo or Upson if he deserves it of course).  At the end of the day I don't think we should be going for backup to Colo or Bassong, its much better to buy someone as good or better and have three very good central defenders and Taylor at the club.

Where's Jon to tell us how injury prone Upson is!? :razz:

He's missed 73 minutes of football all season and has played 90 minutes for Engerland as well.

Cue a horrendous injury at the weekend for him, then.

Quality defender, would hope that there would be some truth to this and I'd like to see him here. Experienced and English, something we've been crying out for a long time now. Him, Coloccini, Taylor and Bassong would be a quality pool of central defenders, quite possibly the best we've had since Keegan's first stint.

Still a couple of fullbacks short at the back, mind!

I remember watching Upson against us in the FA Cup a few years ago for Birmingham when he first came back from injury, and he was awful in the game at St Andrews. Remember thinking then he'd lost it, but to be fair, he's been playing well this season. Not having the liability called Anton Ferdinand beside him must help as well.

Guest Heneage

Makes you wonder would we consider doing a deal similar to the one Pompey did a while back where they bought 3 Spuds reserves for around 10-12 million .

Something along the lines of Upson for 7m, Behrami for 5m, and then maybe I dunno, Faubert for 3m? or Noble for 4m? Who knows maybe even dare we say it shock Scotty Parker return.

Its good to see us looking at those around us picking up from them, I think too many times in the past we've sat there and just let players go. I mean Pompey are looking to sell too as they have 65m in wages or staff costs and only bring in 60m per annum, so there's really another route you can go down. If Owen goes, steal Defoe and Crouch, maybe Krancjar and Diarra, or even Diop to replace Butt.

I know we get lambasted in the papers and what have you but really we are quite healthy in the sense our owner has money and is safe, I mean there's really potential that this situation could sort itself out.

***Warning - everything in the following post is the result of jumping to conclusions, and assuming the Upson news is 100% legit***

We don't need Matthew Upson.

That said, he's exactly the sort of player i'd expect Kinnear to go after. It's almost stereotypical. British, hard-nut, centre-back, no attacking nouse whatsoever. Bound to be Kinnear's priority.

In fairness though, i wouldn't be devastated because Upson's a good player. He'd (marginally) improve our team for ten games a season or so. :rolleyes:

I really don't see the point. What's the need in hindering Bassong's progress when he is clearly more than capable of playing in the Premier Leauge week-in, week-out? Cos that's exactly what it'll do. What, just because he's a young lad and new to English footy, he shouldn't be in the team? It's bollocks man. Bassong is good enough therefore he merits being in the side. Charlie Zog all over again.

Cripes... i know i need to get over it, and all that sorta shizz, but just about everything Kinnear does makes me miss Keegan even more. I'd be gobsmacked if KK spent half of the money attained from the Milner sale on a centre-back. He just wouldn't do it. Especially when we've already commited £10m to another on in Colo. Wing-back, fair enough. But we don't need a centre-back.

If we don't sign a central mid - a good one at that - then I reckon there's a big chance of us going down.

Saying that though, if we do get Upson, does that mean that Kinnear doesn't rate Taylor or Upson? Assuming Taylor is fit I think that may just be answered on Sunday. Clearly Bassong is the brighter prospect but let us not forget that our beloved club is being run by a cretin.

If we don't sign a central mid - a good one at that - then I reckon there's a big chance of us going down.

Saying that though, if we do get Upson, does that mean that Kinnear doesn't rate Taylor or Upson? Assuming Taylor is fit I think that may just be answered on Sunday. Clearly Bassong is the brighter prospect but let us not forget that our beloved club is being run by a cretin.

Centre-midfield is the weakest part of the first team, without a shadow of a doubt imo. But if Barton stays fit we'll generally get by in that area. It's not a centre-midfield that's 100% worthy of the drop. Guthrie and Geremi are fair players. Butt - meh. Barton's good imo. Generally all down to the manager again tbh; who he picks, how he plays em.

"I'm now pretty confident I'll be in a position to buy two new players and, with loans, we might get five in. And I won't be selling any of my best players."

Don't forget he's a clueless cunt so his best players are Butt, Shola and Cacapa.

"I'm now pretty confident I'll be in a position to buy two new players and, with loans, we might get five in. And I won't be selling any of my best players."

So then... now that every club out there knows we've got money to spend, they add another million or two any of their players we sniff around.

Why, why can't he just shut up? :undecided:

thats what Keegan said.

Every day though? I think i can remember him saying a couple of things prior to us bringing Coloccini in, but on the whole (again, just from what i can remember), everone generally kept their cards pretty close to their chest.

Very good defender, I'd be impressed if we bought him in given our current situation.  He's 29 like and £7.5 million isn't peanuts but I think he'd be worth it.

To play ahead of Colo or Bassong?

Alongside Bassong with Colo in midfield. :razz:

Makes you wonder would we consider doing a deal similar to the one Pompey did a while back where they bought 3 Spuds reserves for around 10-12 million .

Something along the lines of Upson for 7m, Behrami for 5m, and then maybe I dunno, Faubert for 3m? or Noble for 4m? Who knows maybe even dare we say it shock Scotty Parker return.

Its good to see us looking at those around us picking up from them, I think too many times in the past we've sat there and just let players go. I mean Pompey are looking to sell too as they have 65m in wages or staff costs and only bring in 60m per annum, so there's really another route you can go down. If Owen goes, steal Defoe and Crouch, maybe Krancjar and Diarra, or even Diop to replace Butt.

I know we get lambasted in the papers and what have you but really we are quite healthy in the sense our owner has money and is safe, I mean there's really potential that this situation could sort itself out.

I think we really should target West Ham and Pompey in the January window, two clubs who apparently need to sell. Plenty of players I'd have here without much hesitation. Kranjcar would be one I'd love to see here, brilliant player.

So then... now that every club out there knows we've got money to spend, they add another million or two any of their players we sniff around.

Why, why can't he just shut up? :undecided:

if he kept his gob shut, and said completely nothing... people (probably you) would be moaning about us not going to sign anyone and how he is doing a shit job because he aint looking to sign anyone

My general distaste for Kinnear means i'm going to nitpick and scrutinise everything he does. I'm not even gonna deny that, i'd call it human.

But that's just a load of bollocks Lowndsy man. For one thing, i'd probably prefer it if Joe Kinnear didn't buy anyone. I don't trust his judgement and i don't like the idea of him spending our money. I concede that that's slightly off the point, but i - without doubt - would prefer it if our management team said zilch about our targets, rather than loads about our targets. He must have named four+ individual targets in public. You just don't do it as far as i'm concerned; it hinders your chances of getting them/getting them for the 'right' price.