The Newcastle United Transfer Thread: D-Day [Spoiler: Not Much Happens]

LooneyToonArmy

Wait a second, this Mareque person has never been capped on any level for Argentina. How's he getting a work permit?

Normally I'd assume he'd have a European passport or something, but Kinnear's just about idiotic enough to screw something up like this.

Wait a second, this Mareque person has never been capped on any level for Argentina. How's he getting a work permit?

Normally I'd assume he'd have a European passport or something, but Kinnear's just about idiotic enough to screw something up like this.

99 percent of Argentine footballers magically have Italian passports. Just how all Ivorian footballers seem to have French passports. We need the English to give passports to our players.

Guest Heneage

Always found it ridiculous that clubs speak to their current players about potential signings. So Jonas and Colo have given him 'glowing reports', how much value does that have?

It may have some but they won't be recommending Chaff.

Always found it ridiculous that clubs speak to their current players about potential signings. So Jonas and Colo have given him 'glowing reports', how much value does that have?

Just out of interest why do you find it ridiculous that clubs speak to their players about potential signings?

Surely if you have avenues to finding out what a player is like you should take them. I can understand you saying it may not have any great value, but I wouldn't say its ridiculous.

I think it could be very valuable actually, especially regarding the likelihood of them settling in the country and adjusting to the premier league as he would be coming directly from Argentina.

OK, well maybe not 'ridiculous', but I know if I was asked whether a mate of mine would fancy a money-spinning move to the premiership I would say, 'yes, he'd be perfect'. Also, I would naturally want my friends and countrymen to come and help me out.

I suppose it would reflect badly on them if the signings flopped, so they might be more careful than that.

Wonder if Reo-Coker might be available this January.

It seems Sidwell has moved ahead of him and recently he's being played at right-back if at all.

If so I think he would be a good option that would improve our midfiled. Not the best passer in the world, but an absolute workhorse. Strong and mobile.

Not sure another midfield workhorse is what we need right now. We've got Butt, Barton, Guthrie, Geremi, Smith all competing for that role. I'd much rather we spent our money on someone with a bit of creativity to play in the centre of midfield.

Guest Heneage

Martin O'Neil talking about how our situation affected Milner deciding to leave, what gives managers rights to talk about things like this that in no way concern them?

Newcastle, Aston Villa and Everton are all chasing Inter Milan striker David Suazo, who has been on loan at Benfica. (The Sun)

Wigan boss Steve Bruce is considering making a January move for Newcastle midfielder Nicky Butt, who is out of contract in the summer. (The Sun)

Bolton are also keen on Butt, and will offer the 34-year-old a two-year deal. (Daily Star)

Bruce out to prise Butt from United

NEWCASTLE United may struggle to hold on to Nicky Butt in the January transfer window with Wigan Athletic manager Steve Bruce keen to sign him in the New Year.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/12/10/bruce-out-to-prise-butt-from-united-61634-22443313/

Wonder if Reo-Coker might be available this January.

It seems Sidwell has moved ahead of him and recently he's being played at right-back if at all.

If so I think he would be a good option that would improve our midfiled. Not the best passer in the world, but an absolute workhorse. Strong and mobile.

Absolutely no chance.

MON loves him. He missed a couple of games through illness hence Sidwell getting in.

In fact, bit of a sore point amongst our lot, MON will go to ridiculous lengths to avoid ever having to take NRC off. He'll move him to RB, Luke Young to LB and take Shorey off, for example.