The Newcastle United Transfer Thread: D-Day [Spoiler: Not Much Happens]

LooneyToonArmy

You wouldn't expect to find this thread close to dropping from the front page in the transfer window, hence bump..

Not a very good sign though..

See the other thread.

We're waiting on Shay leaving now. :(

You wouldn't expect to find this thread close to dropping from the front page in the transfer window, hence bump..

Not a very good sign though..

See the other thread.

We're waiting on Shay leaving now. :(

ashley paid off our debts man, we should all be thankful  :razz:

on a more serious point, i reckon the middle eastern leagues have been under utilised as a source for players. lot of money going around in some of those leagues, hence players like Zarate or even people like Mpenza who can fill a gap. and some of the national teams like egypt, where many play in the domestic league, are quite strong.

Newcastle told strike targets are not for sale

Jan 22 2009 by Stuart Rayner, The Journal

NEWCASTLE United face further disappointment in the transfer market after two of their forward targets were declared not for sale – at least for now.

And French champions Lyon are considering exploiting Tuesday’s training ground fight between Charles N’Zogbia and striker Andy Carroll with a cut-price offer for the unsettled French midfielder.

Reports have suggested the Magpies are preparing a bid for Atalanta striker Sergio Floccari, with Nice striker Loïc Rémy an alternative. Neither club, though, is prepared to sell. However, both might be open to offers in the summer, when Newcastle’s need is likely to be far greater.

Reports in Italy suggest a £15m bid is imminent for Floccari. This seems unlikely given the budget constraints Joe Kinnear is working under, but even were it to happen, Atalanta are likely to resist. “He will stay until the end of the season,” the club’s president, Carlo Osti has said. “It’s a decision we took a year ago. He’s not for sale and no one has knocked on our door yet for him.”

Palermo and Roma have also been linked with the late developer, who started in Serie C2. Neither would be able to match a £15m offer. The 27-year-old, compared in some quarters to Spain’s David Villa, has hit 10 goals this season and been touted for a call-up to the Italian national side.

Newcastle’s scouts are also said to have been impressed by France B international Rémy, who they were linked with in the summer of 2007 after his impressive performances at the Toulon Tournament.

The 22-year-old’s agent has poured cold water on talk of a January transfer, however.

“For now it is impossible,” said Federic Guerra. “He has a contract with Nice for another three years.

“I don’t know if Nice want to sell him in the summer but if they did, the price would be big.”

Nice are said to value Rémy, who they bought from Lyon in the summer, at £5m.

Newcastle are currently well stocked with forwards. The problem has been

keeping them fit in the short term, and keeping them full-stop in the longer term.

Obafemi Martins only returned to training after a hernia operation this week and is aiming to be fit to face Sunderland on February 1. Mark Viduka has not featured since injuring his groin in his only start of the campaign, on Boxing Day, and Shola Ameobi’s ankle is taking longer than expected to heal. Viduka and captain Michael Owen are both out of contract this summer. Kinnear is thought to only have a budget of around £10m this month and supplementing it with sales is proving difficult. Geremi’s move to Besiktas already seemed to be dying on its feet before the hamstring injury to Danny Guthrie, which is likely to see him pressed into action against Manchester City on January 28. Charles N’Zogbia’s asking price will have fallen after Tuesday’s training ground shenanigans. The club has unsurprisingly played down the incident, with Kinnear insisting neither player will be punished for fighting in front of Carlisle United players warming up for a behind-closed-doors friendly.

But the N’Zogbia saga refuses to go away, with a constant stream of quotes attributed to him and his agent suggesting he wants to leave. Tuesday’s behaviour only furthers the impression.

Lyon appeared to offer a possible escape route, but this week’s news has weakened United’s hand and the French champions may now try to sign the 23-year-old at a reduced price. Selling Shay Given would yield further funds, but Kinnear is understandably reluctant to part with his best player and City’s bargaining tactics suggest negotiations would be drawn out.

The Eastlands club have come back with a second bid this week. But the world’s richest club are anxious not to be taken for a ride and are therefore offering way below Given’s true value. The eight-figure fees paid for Craig Bellamy and Nigel de Jong suggest a realistic bid could eventually be forthcoming, but perhaps not in time for Kinnear to reinvest.

Yet another fucking blind link.  Lovenkrands and this 2nd rate defender is about all we'll get.

With our hands tied in terms of transfer monies!

I wouldn't mind seeing us offloading Alan Smith to West Brom in a swap deal with Ishmael Miller.

Always been impressed with that lad each time i've seen him and only 21.

I wouldn't mind seeing us offloading Alan Smith to West Brom in a swap deal with Ishmael Miller.

He's out injured for the rest of the season, so would be an ideal replacement for Smith

He's out injured for the rest of the season, so would be an ideal replacement for Smith

Bollocks! Shoud really wiki my targets first

NUFC trial for ex-Borussia Dortmund defender

Jan 21 2009 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

NEWCASTLE United were today looking at former Borussia Dortmund defender Ahmed-Reda Madouni.

The player, who has a Bundesliga title in his medal collection, has started a trial with United at the clubs Benton HQ, and joined another player from the German League in Peter Lovenkrands, who is also trying to win a permanent place in the Toon squad.

The 28-year-old defender has also starred for Bayer Leverkusen, but started his career at Montpellier.

However, he has played for the last two seasons on a lucrative deal with Al-Gharafa, where he won a Qatari League winner.

Speaking on the situation regarding Lovenkrands, Kinnear told the Chronicle: Ive passed it to Derek Llambias, who is talking to Peters agent.

Hes thrashing out some sort of deal to the end of the season.

I thought he was excellent yesterday, and hell be an extra player for us. Hes done very well.

The Chronicle understands Manchester City have lodged a second bid for Shay Given in the region of £5m.

That offer will be considered as derisory by the Magpies, who are desperate to keep Given.

However, if the player expresses a wish to leave they may not be able to stand in his way following 11 years of loyal service on Tyneside.

And it is believed that Newcastle feel such a low bid for Given is somewhat of an insult, especially given that City have already paid £12m for Chelseas reserve-team left-back Wayne Bridge and £14m for Craig Bellamy from West Ham.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/01/21/nufc-trial-for-ex-borussia-dortmund-defender-72703-22744127/

Bundesliga title? 7 subsitute appearences with one being longer then 10 minutes...

"Starring" for Leverkusen? Not even 20 appearences in two seasons.

Mate who is a Dortmund fan said he was an adequte replacement for them but isn't good enough for the Prem

22 days gone and no fucking sign of a first team player coming, add to those days between the end of the summer window and the begining of this window.  Plenty of time to make arrangements or possible arrangements.

Fucking useless.

22 days gone and no fucking sign of a first team player coming, add to those days between the end of the summer window and the begining of this window.  Plenty of time to make arrangements or possible arrangements.

Fucking useless.

No intention to do so I think.

Ashley's quite happy to let us take a gamble to the end of the season, he just needs to be ready for the huge backlash heading his way.

22 days gone and no f***ing sign of a first team player coming, add to those days between the end of the summer window and the begining of this window.  Plenty of time to make arrangements or possible arrangements.

f***ing useless.

No intention to do so I think.

Ashley's quite happy to let us take a gamble to the end of the season, he just needs to be ready for the huge backlash heading his way.

I agree mate, i had my doubts before this window opened.  I'm just pissed off my feelings are bing confirmed each passing day.

Might as well wait till the window is shut for good then everyone can unleash their anger and frustration in unison.

I still think they'll pull something off. The rate at which we have been signing youngsters suggest work is being done. It's just a lot more difficult and complex making sure you get the right first team players in.

Still having a hard time agreeing this is all a gamble/on purpose.

Just think it's far more likely that the players who would

a) improve us

b) come to us (geographically and career wise)

c) be sold by their clubs mid season for anything approaching a reasonable fee

are simply not as plentiful as people imagine. 

Ah but then there's the old chestnut "well they've had since the summer" ... well, so what?  Scouting teams all over Europe have had since the summer so where's this gigantic flurry of activity?  Are they all failures?  90% of teams out there need strengthening in some area or another.  The fact that this one month mid season period is nowhere near as active as the offseason bears out the difficulty of it. 

If it was everyone but us making moves I'd agree in a heartbeat.

But oh well.  Ashley, Wise and co are clearly in league with/may possibly be Satan.

a) improve us

Ah but then there's the old chestnut "well they've had since the summer" ... well, so what?  Scouting teams all over Europe have had since the summer so where's this gigantic flurry of activity?  Are they all failures?  90% of teams out there need strengthening in some area or another.  The fact that this one month mid season period is nowhere near as active as the offseason bears out the difficulty of it. 

But oh well.  Ashley, Wise and co are clearly in league with/may possibly be Satan.

You're right. And we also have to remember how the league table has panned out so far. There are technically 10 or 12 teams who aren't exactly safe. A team lying in 9th at the moment could go on a bad run and easily find themselves in the mire. Another reason why quality players from the clubs around us will not be leaving, as their clubs cannot afford to slip up. It's been a deadlock. A mass clear-out from West Ham & Man City could have helped matters along, but so far it's only been Bellamy outgoing, so not much has given way.

a) improve us

You're right. And we also have to remember how the league table has panned out so far. There are technically 10 or 12 teams who aren't exactly safe. A team lying in 9th at the moment could go on a bad run and easily find themselves in the mire. Another reason why quality players from the clubs around us will not be leaving, as their clubs cannot afford to slip up. It's been a deadlock. A mass clear-out from West Ham & Man City could have helped matters along, but so far it's only been Bellamy outgoing, so not much has given way.

The two most important areas we need to strengthen are full back on both sides. At he moment we have David Edgar at right back and we are living on a prayer of Enrique being fit otherwise we have no cover if Zog goes (he isn't a left back anyway).

It shouldn't be too difficult to find a couple of defenders who can provide half decent cover, another Bassong/Guthrie sort of signing would be fine. We aren't trying to sign Ashley Cole so it shouldn't be that difficult.

Guest Gazmatron

I think we should try to sign Nicolas Burdisso from Inter, i read we were linked with him a few weeks ago and hes avialible.

Hes pretty decent and can get in our team at left back, right back or centre back.

I think we should try to sign Nicolas Burdisso from Inter, i read we were linked with him a few weeks ago and hes avialible.

Hes pretty decent and can get in our team at left back, right back or centre back.

I think we should get our skates on

Newcastle told strike targets are not for sale

ic Newcastle.co.uk, UK - 28 minutes ago

by Stuart Rayner, The Journal NEWCASTLE United face further disappointment in the transfer market after two of their forward targets were declared not fo

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/01/22/newcastle-told-strike-targets-are-not-for-sale-61634-22749940/

Guest Brazilianbob

Knowing Ashley likes a gamble I reckon he is running down the club to increase the odds at the bookies of us staying up.  He will then wack a couple of mill on at odds 25 to 1.  If we stay up he makes a killing of £50m plus his stake back.