The Newcastle United Transfer Thread: D-Day [Spoiler: Not Much Happens]

LooneyToonArmy

Guest icemanblue

At this point I'm just really hopeful we are keeping things very quiet just like this regime seems to have done from the outset.

We weren't linked with Finnan once, neither was he mentioned by Joe once, but we apparently were all set to sign him but unfortunately he was injured.

Hoping we get some surprises really soon.

Not injured though, just been called up for Ireland.

Well for some reason the deal broke down, but we were certainly in for him.

Were we? honest question, i didn't know.

I don't remember it being confirmed. Just speculation as far as I know.

Probably already mentioned but Fred is available on a free transfer, would be worth a gamble.

i may be a bit slow, but did lyon just release him, and why?

Lyon mulling over Faubert swoop

French champions Lyon have hinted they could be interested in signing West Ham's wantaway midfielder Julien Faubert.

The former Bordeaux man has recently suggested he is keen to return to French football to boost his national team prospects.

He has been linked with Nantes and Paris Saint-Germain, while Faubert has claimed he would relish the chance to join Lyon.

The Ligue 1 leaders are looking to strengthen their right-hand side and special advisor Bernard Lacombe concedes Faubert is one option being considered.

"Faubert is a player that is capable of getting our attention," Lacombe told Le 10 Sport.

"But we have several trails. The right full-back position is our priority."

Lacombe also confirmed there has yet to be any movement regarding the situation of Fred, who claimed last week he was wanted by Stoke.

The Brazilian striker has been linked with a move to Palmeiras and Lyon are waiting for any offers to take Fred on a free transfer.

"The Fred situation doesn't improve," added Lacombe. "We haven't had any offer from Palmeiras. They can't invest money on a free transfer.

"Fred is free! Fred just has to find a club."

How could it backfire? Johnson was getting comparisons to Colin Bell as recently as about 12 months ago.

He is an excellent box to box midfielder who scores quite a few as well.

As long as we don't pay obscene money he'd be a brilliant signing.

How could it backfire? Johnson was getting comparisons to Colin Bell as recently as about 12 months ago.

He is an excellent box to box midfielder who scores quite a few as well.

As long as we don't pay obscene money he'd be a brilliant signing.

He has off-field problems, that could be the risk.

c. poulsen and bendtner would be quality signings! bendtner and martins i believe would be good together!

poulsen and bendtner are the best danes there is....together with agger....but thats never gonna happen!

poulsen and bendtner for 10-15 mill would be good business....if  they would come here?

Guest Alan Shearer 9

A guy I used to go to school with (absolute knob), allegedly saw Johnson out in a cub ages ago (over 12 months) and started giving him abuse and Johnson lamped him. The only relevance this has is that it would seem he likes going out to clubs and generally living a lifestyle he should stay away from if he wants to be a successful athelete.

I think we've proved in the recent past that we're hardly apt at dealing with/re-invigorating troubled players. Normally i'd be up for it but i've had enough of that sorta stuff tbh. Kinnear's hardly the motivational expert and sensible head on broad shoulders that the likes of Johnson appear to need. Newcastle's a good party town aswell, from what i've heard.

Also, pelvic injury? Sounds potentially very bad. Obviously, i don't know the ins and outs of it but a serious pelvic injury could write you off permanently if it were bad enough. Alright, i guess you can say that for any injury, but risking your pelvis isn't really worth doing...

All in all, we might not even be in for him but the idea stinks for me.

A guy I used to go to school with (absolute knob), allegedly saw Johnson out in a cub ages ago (over 12 months) and started giving him abuse and Johnson lamped him. The only relevance this has is that it would seem he likes going out to clubs and generally living a lifestyle he should stay away from if he wants to be a successful athelete.

Child abuse 

Guest elbee909

Kind of goes for almost all pro footballers, it seems.

I think we've proved in the recent past that we're hardly apt at dealing with/re-invigorating troubled players. Normally i'd be up for it but i've had enough of that sorta stuff tbh. Kinnear's hardly the motivational expert and sensible head on broad shoulders that the likes of Johnson appear to need. Newcastle's a good party town aswell, from what i've heard.

Also, pelvic injury? Sounds potentially very bad. Obviously, i don't know the ins and outs of it but a serious pelvic injury could write you off permanently if it were bad enough. Alright, i guess you can say that for any injury, but risking your pelvis isn't really worth doing...

All in all, we might not even be in for him but the idea stinks for me.

The kid is only 20 though. It's well worth the risk I reckon, but I wouldn't want it to mean he is the only midfielder we brought in. It would mean a young and talented future midfield of Guthrie and Johnson. If we could then still get M'bia then we could have both M'Bia nad Barton as the first teamers right now. Butt can just do whatever ...

If we can get cash, Johnson and Onuoha that would be brilliant business imo. Onuoha is good enough to feature right now as well as having a long future ahead of him still. Can play at right back and centre back too.

If we pull this off I'll certainly be impressed.

Exactly the kind of player that would fail miserably here then.

No thanks.

Struggling to think of the type of player who will break that mould tbh. Other than unheralded signings like Sibierski name me a player in recent years who has fulfilled their potential with us.