The Newcastle United Transfer Thread: D-Day [Spoiler: Not Much Happens]

LooneyToonArmy

daniel sturridge, michael johnson, maybe even elano worth a look at too, especially sturridge as he is out of contract soon

They'll keep Sturridge and Johnson imo. Elano might be worth a shot, don't reckon we'll spend that sort of money though, as his price will have gone up since arrival.

talks over Sturridge's contract has broken down and the papers seem to think he is on his way. if true and he is available in january we should be right in there.

Good move in the short term imho

Kinnear targets John Arne Riise for Newcastle

Nov 21 2008 by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

John Arne Riise

JOE KINNEAR is ready to give former Liverpool defender John Arne Riise the chance to return to the Premier League.

And the Newcastle United interim boss is hoping to cash in on his friendship with Arsene Wenger to lure Arsenal’s Brazilian Denilson to St James’s Park on loan until the end of the season.

As talks about any takeover of United never seem to make progress, the chances of Mike Ashley keeping the club, at least for the immediate future, are increasing all the time.

And if this turns out to be the case, Kinnear could well be still in his role as interim manager come the January transfer window.

Before leaving for London and tomorrow’s game at Chelsea, Kinnear told me today: “I have already got my shortlist ready and I will be giving it to Mike. We need two players in as soon as possible and I have them in mind.

“One is with Roma and he is not in the team at the moment and the other is a player who has already scored against us this season.

“I know their agents and what they would be is loan deals from January until the end of the season. I already know that the player in Rome would cost us £2m to bring him over here.

“But we need to strengthen the team and the squad and if we can get them they would be a big boost because both are top-class players.”

Kinnear has a good relationship with Wenger but the chances of him getting Denilson, who scored in Arsenal’s 3-1 win over United at The Emirates at the end of August, have actually receded in the past couple of days after Theo Walcott dislocated his shoulder when on England duty.

Blackburn’s towering French Congolese defender Christopher Samba is another player who has scored against United this season.

But Riise is definitely the man Kinnear wants as he has clearly identified left-back as a position that needs strengthening, with Jose Enrique not looking as though he is up to the pace of the Premier League.

The Chronicle revealed on Tuesday that United’s scouting team of Jeff Vetere and Lil Fuccillo ran the rule over Steve Warnock as Blackburn lost to Sunderland last Saturday.

And on Wednesday night Fuccillo was in Berlin to see Wolfsburg £4m-rated left-back Marcel Schafer go on as a 77th-minute substitute for Germany in their defeat at the hands of England.

But the 28-year-old Riise is an experienced – and goalscoring – left-back, with 78 Norwegian caps.

He joined Roma from Anfield for £4m in the summer but has only made five starts in Serie A so far and is third-choice left-back.

Indeed, he admits: “I got some games wrong, but I know what I am worth. I don’t feel like a third choice and I think I am quite a good player.”

Riise not getting a game for Roma then?

Blackburn’s towering French Congolese defender Christopher Samba is another player who has scored against United this season.

:lol: Let's list those who have scored past us...

Darren Fletcher

Clinton Morrison

Scott Dann

Robin Van Persie x2

Denilson

Marlon King

Di Michele

Matthew Etherington

Roman Pavlychenko

Jamie O'Hara

Christopher Samba

Roque Santa Cruz

Feillani

Mikel Arteta

Robinho

Stephen Ireland

Ismael Miller

Kieran Richardson

Djibril Cisse

Andy Johnson

Danny Murphy

Ryan Taylor

Titus Bramble

ZOMG IT COULD BE ANY OF THEM!!!!

Guest elbee909

Darren Fletcher

Clinton Morrison

Scott Dann

Robin Van Persie x2

Denilson

Marlon King

Di Michele

Matthew Etherington

Roman Pavlychenko

Jamie O'Hara

Christopher Samba

Roque Santa Cruz

Feillani

Mikel Arteta

Robinho

Stephen Ireland

Ismael Miller

Kieran Richardson

Djibril Cisse

Andy Johnson

Danny Murphy

Ryan Taylor

Titus Bramble

If there are two Robin Van Persies, we can take the spare one.

Like I said before, loans are the way to go for us in our present state. I found this in an article from 'The Independent' September 2003: -

"Any Premiership club may take a maximum of two players on loan at any one time and up to four over the season with a maximum of two from any one club."

If that's still true then having Gonzalez is a total waste of one of our loans.

I can understand players not wanting to come to us on a permanent transfer while our ownership/manager situation is up in the air but we should be able to get players in on loan. We may even be able to loan players from top teams. We're no threat to them. Having said that, Gonzalez uses up one of our allowed loan players.

Darren Fletcher

Clinton Morrison

Scott Dann

Robin Van Persie x2

Denilson

Marlon King

Di Michele

Matthew Etherington

Roman Pavlychenko

Jamie O'Hara

Christopher Samba

Roque Santa Cruz

Feillani

Mikel Arteta

Robinho

Stephen Ireland

Ismael Miller

Kieran Richardson

Djibril Cisse

Andy Johnson

Danny Murphy

Ryan Taylor

Titus Bramble

If there are two Robin Van Persies, we can take the spare one.

:lol: :lol:

And Riise's been on the bench lately apparently, so it's quite reasonable to believe it's him he's on about.

How on earth does anyone at Newcastle think we could get Denilson? Hasn't he been an ever present (or nigh on) for Arsenal this year.

Fantasy land i'm afraid.

I'd be fine with Riise on a loan deal. Feel sorry for Enrique, his comments the other day* were fairly sad, but i've just accepted that he's not wanted and he's gonna go. Massive, massive waste. :nope:

* "I don't care if they want to get rid of me, i want to play for the rest of my contract..."

I'd be fine with Riise on a loan deal. Feel sorry for Enrique, his comments the other day* were fairly sad, but i've just accepted that he's not wanted and he's gonna go. Massive, massive waste. :nope:

* "I don't care if they want to get rid of me, i want to play for the rest of my contract..."

I dont feel sorry for him one bit. He's paid handsomely and his performances have been generally poor. He's had over a year now to make a positive impression, so this is hardly a knee jerk reaction. I do admit he's had some good games but overall he's not good enough. Any professional footballer who consistently fails to make ten yard passes to a team mate, has no place in the top flight of any league. He's shown very little to prove he's the long term answer to fill the left back slot.

It baffles me, that Enrique turns in performances equally as bad as Taylor or Duff and whilst he gets defended to the hilt, those two get slagged rotten.

Guest icemanblue

Where's this quote from, pal? Not questioning it, just haven't seen the article.

Where's this quote from, pal? Not questioning it, just haven't seen the article.

Think it was on www.skysports.com . Will have a look.

EDIT: Here ya gan: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_4522184,00.html

Guest icemanblue

Think it was on www.skysports.com . Will have a look.

EDIT: Here ya gan: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_4522184,00.html

Ta.  O0