FA rescind Beye red card

Dave

Poll is a knobhead we all know that, the man is an utter tit and was a pure shite ref, he will always abck the ref I hope Seetanta get shot of him after all this crap.

I di still have my doubts though that Styles will overturn it, he is going tio use the footage to try and vindicate himself first.

Guest Darth Toon

Aye, it's looking good - Styles dropped from the coming weekend's Premier matches:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/3235955/Referee-Rob-Styles-dropped-from-Premier-League-programme-Football.html

Rob Styles is walking a tightrope as a Premier League referee after being sidelined following a second contentious penalty decision in three weeks.

By Alan Biggs

Last Updated: 12:29AM BST 22 Oct 2008

Styles and his bosses are understood to have concluded last night that he was wrong to award Manchester City's 12th-minute penalty opener in Monday's 2-2 draw at Newcastle.

His withdrawal to a fourth official role for the game between Chelsea and Liverpool on Sunday has raised Newcastle's hopes of prevailing with their appeal over Habib Beye's sending off over the penalty incident. The hearing, scheduled for Wednesday, will be guided by Styles' review of the incident and the referee is now likely to recommend that the red card is rescinded. Beyes should then be cleared to face Sunderland on Saturday.

Aye, it's looking good - Styles dropped from the coming weekend's Premier matches:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/3235955/Referee-Rob-Styles-dropped-from-Premier-League-programme-Football.html

Rob Styles is walking a tightrope as a Premier League referee after being sidelined following a second contentious penalty decision in three weeks.

By Alan Biggs

Last Updated: 12:29AM BST 22 Oct 2008

Styles and his bosses are understood to have concluded last night that he was wrong to award Manchester City's 12th-minute penalty opener in Monday's 2-2 draw at Newcastle.

His withdrawal to a fourth official role for the game between Chelsea and Liverpool on Sunday has raised Newcastle's hopes of prevailing with their appeal over Habib Beye's sending off over the penalty incident. The hearing, scheduled for Wednesday, will be guided by Styles' review of the incident and the referee is now likely to recommend that the red card is rescinded. Beyes should then be cleared to face Sunderland on Saturday.

Oh good!

Can we have 3 points then instead of one please?

As soon as we get technology into the game the better! Then teams like the Man u, Liverpool , Chelsea won't get half the decisions they usually do.

Not so sure about Styles being dropped though...I would be more in favour of a system where Refs last in the prem for a whole season and then they're reviewed at the end of it.

The current system of suspension/demotion only serves to:

1) Encourage a very short-term view of decisions, so one controversial error can overrule a number of good performances.

2) Undermine the referee's authority, as players no they will be there next week and he might be moved down.

Penalties and sendings off should only be given when the referee, or one of his assistants, is absolutely certain that they have made the right decision. Whenever there's any doubt, as was the case on Monday night because of Styles' poor positioning, the benefit of the doubt should go in the defender's favour.

It's not difficult, and if all referees stuck to this principle the game would be a lot better for it.

Penalties and sendings off should only be given when the referee, or one of his assistants, is absolutely certain that they have made the right decision. Whenever there's any doubt, as was the case on Monday night because of Styles' poor positioning, the benefit of the doubt should go in the defender's favour.

It's not difficult, and if all referees stuck to this principle the game would be a lot better for it.

i don't even think style's positioning was that bad considering the way the move broke but you are right about needing to be 100%certain on decisions like that.

Thing is for Poll, if this card gets rescinded, and he's still stuck to his guns and went on about how it was a pen, he's going to look like a pillock.

he already is a pillock so he has little to lose.

Graham Poll is going to look an even bigger pillock (if that's possible) after backing him if it's true Styles is going to admit he made a blunder.

Guest guinness_fiend

Not so sure about Styles being dropped though...I would be more in favour of a system where Refs last in the prem for a whole season and then they're reviewed at the end of it.

The current system of suspension/demotion only serves to:

1) Encourage a very short-term view of decisions, so one controversial error can overrule a number of good performances.

2) Undermine the referee's authority, as players no they will be there next week and he might be moved down.

3)

If a referee is shown to have acted negligently in his duty (i.e. making a decision that a "reasonable" (a legally accepted objective standard) referee would not have made), any club that suffers a loss due to such a decision (i.e. financial) should be able to seek remuneration from the referee (via a professional body that provides indemnities for such incidents) or from the Premier League itself, as employer. 

If I make a negligent decision at work, I face being sued (albeit any payment will be made out of my firm's professional indemnity policy).  Given the financial implications alone in potential being relegated or missing out on a UEFA/Champions' League cup spot due to a dodgy decision, I would wager that anyone brave enough to try would have a case. 

By way of analogy, just look at the Tevez decision - it was based on the hypothetical "what if he had not played" argument (i.e. would Sheffield have stayed up).

Guest palnese

if styles is to be handed a suspension of the fa because he made that mistake against us, and bolton, liverpool and so on, then surely the fa will rescind the red card as well?

Makes no sense if not?!?

Not sure if it's been posted, but from .com

Ahead of Thursday's FA hearing to consider Newcastle's appeal over the wrongful dismissal of Habib Beye, it's claimed referee Rob Styles has been demoted from his scheduled fixture this weekend to a 4th official role.

That follows press reports that the referee has agreed to rescind the red card following discussions with his bosses at the Professional Game Match Officials Board.

Hopefully that's the prelude to a successful appeal against the dismissal on Monday night, which would allow the Senegal international defender to feature in this Saturday's Tyne-wear bunfight.

Only the Chronic, but they reckon Styles WON'T rescind the red card, and its down to the FA tomorrow...

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/10/22/rob-styles-refuses-to-overturn-beye-red-card-72703-22091512/

:angry:

that w as in a couple of todays papers with the idea that styles was trying to wriggle out of it by using the argument that beye may have got the ball but his momentum made him foul the player.....................should someone at the FA sit him down with  DVD of the same match and ask him why he missed all the other tackles which he deemed as fair when a player hit the deck AFTER being beaten to the ball.

that w as in a couple of todays papers with the idea that styles was trying to wriggle out of it by using the argument that beye may have got the ball but his momentum made him foul the player.....................should someone at the FA sit him down with  DVD of the same match and ask him why he missed all the other tackles which he deemed as fair when a player hit the deck AFTER being beaten to the ball.

I think Styles is bluffing and would have changed his mind if it wasn't for the Man U cock up, he probably knows this one will be the balls up which drops him out of the top flight and is trying to stop that from happening.

I think Styles is bluffing and would have changed his mind if it wasn't for the Man U cock up, he probably knows this one will be the balls up which drops him out of the top flight and is trying to stop that from happening.

leaves th FA in the position of possibly having to admit that one of their refs doesn't know the rules he is supposed to be applying......or if styles is right, all the others have been getting it wrong.

i don't even think style's positioning was that bad considering the way the move broke but you are right about needing to be 100%certain on decisions like that.

it's a catch 22 if you ask me. the ref's wrong decision galvanized our team and the fans, and we may not have put in the blood and thunder performance had we not been wronged. it's part of the beauty and addictiveness of football, and I feel the system works well the way it is (in terms of reviewing incidents and rescinding cards etc.). the players make human errors during the game, so why shouldn't refs be given that right as long as they admit their mistakes, and are punished accordingly.

If Styles doesn't hold his hands up he'll end up looking even dafter than he already does.

I can understand refs making mistakes sometimes. They're human beings and have to call it as they see it......but if he STILL thinks he was right after having seen it from loads of angles then he's going to get pelters from fans up and down the country. Far better to hold his hands up and admit his mistake but we'll see I suppose.  :undecided:

leaves th FA in the position of possibly having to admit that one of their refs doesn't know the rules he is supposed to be applying......or if styles is right, all the others have been getting it wrong.

I have the feeling that both the ref and the FA will take the coward's way out. Styles will stick with his desperate legal loophole argument, and the FA will just keep quiet and hope it all goes away.

it's a catch 22 if you ask me. the ref's wrong decision galvanized our team and the fans, and we may not have put in the blood and thunder performance had we not been wronged. it's part of the beauty and addictiveness of football, and I feel the system works well the way it is (in terms of reviewing incidents and rescinding cards etc.). the players make human errors during the game, so why shouldn't refs be given that right as long as they admit their mistakes, and are punished accordingly.

that should never excuse rank bad decision making.