Andy Carroll signs new 3.5 year contract

Guest Heneage

I'm resigned to the fact that this is the standard of players we'll have to get used to in the brave new world - local trier/extremely average at best. What joy.

Shicking decision, sort of player wouldn't even get a contract at West brom to be honest. Poor managment of the higher level ................. for a change!

First Shola, now Carroll, someone get me a gun!  :tickedoff:

We'll get a decent fee if we sell him now, and he's squad filler if we don't. Nothing really to whinge about if you ask me, the problem will be Kinnear picking him ahead of the likes of Xisco because he needs a big hard lad to scrap for the long punts up field.

I've always liked Carroll.. He has the physical and mental attributes to play the heavy CF role.. I don't care if he's a dickhead off the field.

Hopefully he'll continue to progress, because players of his type aren't easy to find nowadays

Keep him, give Shola away to anyone who will take him of our hands, give Xisco a serious chance or replace him if we have no faith in him, blood some of the youngsters when conditions on the pitch are such that we can and we will have done well in the squad filling business. Now for the first team strengthening..

If he can learn how to direct headers, rather than counting any contact on the ball with his head as success, he may well be an asset to the team. I'm talking in terms of balls played up to him rather than trying to score with his head btw.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest LucaAltieri

Didn't really have much time to make an impact today but I would like to see him get a few more opportunities. We're very good at getting the ball into wide positions... ok, our delivery is often very poor, but even when it isn't we still don't have anyone to get on the end of anything.

With Shearer there to guide him I think Carroll could be a big player for us. He's tall, he puts himself about up front, and as we've seen he's capable of getting on the end of things and testing the goal keeper.

Guest Heneage

Didn't really have much time to make an impact today but I would like to see him get a few more opportunities. We're very good at getting the ball into wide positions... ok, our delivery is often very poor, but even when it isn't we still don't have anyone to get on the end of anything.

With Shearer there to guide him I think Carroll could be a big player for us. He's tall, he puts himself about up front, and as we've seen he's capable of getting on the end of things and testing the goal keeper.

This.

Guest LucaAltieri

This.

Looks like we're alone on this one.

I could understand people's objection to it. He isn't the most gifted striker we have... but, at national level England have been shit for many a year because managers have simply picked the best 11 players as opposed to the best team. We are at risk of doing the same thing. For the style we're able to play I think we have more use for a gangly grafter than a couple of talented midgets.

There'd be no questioning Carroll's commitment to the cause, either.

Guest Heneage

This.

I could understand people's objection to it. He isn't the most gifted striker we have... but, at national level England have been s*** for many a year because managers have simply picked the best 11 players as opposed to the best team. We are at risk of doing the same thing. For the style we're able to play I think we have more use for a gangly grafter than a couple of talented midgets.

We need  differing options up top, two little guys just isn't working. He offers us something in the air.

Shearer's going to stick by Owen, and Owen-Carroll will probably work better than Owen-Martins.

And rightly so. He may be a want-away who gets crocked every third match, but he's still the only one who can create a goal out of nowhere on a regular basis once he gets going. Not counting Martins in this as he doesn't create something out of nothing regularily.

Shearer's going to stick by Owen, and Owen-Carroll will probably work better than Owen-Martins.

I don't believe it will. Martins has really started to annoy me as of late, but just having his presence on the pitch adds a whole new dimension to the team. Owen and Carroll up front to me just makes us so one dimensional.

I don't believe it will. Martins has really started to annoy me as of late, but just having his presence on the pitch adds a whole new dimension to the team. Owen and Carroll up front to me just makes us so one dimensional.

Play all 3. Even though Carroll appears to be an arsehole of the highest magnitude and his half-time soirees on the pitch are, quite frankly, a fucking embarrassment for a professional footballer. (Has anyone ever watched the lad during these inspirational times?)

Play all 3. Even though Carroll appears to be an arsehole of the highest magnitude and his half-time soirees on the pitch are, quite frankly, a fucking embarrassment for a professional footballer. (Has anyone ever watched the lad during these inspirational times?)

:lol: I wouldn't mind seeing Xisco in that role actually.

Guest LucaAltieri

This.

I could understand people's objection to it. He isn't the most gifted striker we have... but, at national level England have been s*** for many a year because managers have simply picked the best 11 players as opposed to the best team. We are at risk of doing the same thing. For the style we're able to play I think we have more use for a gangly grafter than a couple of talented midgets.

We need  differing options up top, two little guys just isn't working. He offers us something in the air.

Point proven against Stoke. He needs to be playing next time out. Starting Shola over Carroll is unjustifiable.

Guest Heneage

This.

I could understand people's objection to it. He isn't the most gifted striker we have... but, at national level England have been s*** for many a year because managers have simply picked the best 11 players as opposed to the best team. We are a:t risk of doing the same thing. For the style we're able to play I think we have more use for a gangly grafter than a couple of talented midgets.

Point proven against Stoke. He needs to be playing next time out. Starting Shola over Carroll is unjustifiable.

Exactly, it was common sense mate. :)