Andy Carroll signs new 3.5 year contract

Guest Heneage

i like that he puts a bit of pressure on opposing defenders & keepers he'll chase a bit trying to force an error, and i had to chuckle when he gave the sunderland keeper a bit of cold shoulder.    carroll & lovencrayons for me, if oba ain't back...

I thought the lad had improved considerably since the last time I saw him`; his physical presence does unsettle defenders and that is something we have lacked for a long time.

Also, his laying off of the ball, and bringing other players into the game has improved.

IF he keeps at it, he could be a useful addition to the side because it seems to me that most of his problems have been related to his attitude...

He is probably the type of player Shearer would have been able to develop, being a CF.

At this stage, he could go either way - develop into a good player, or become like Ameobi, hyped up to the gunnells and then failing to reach his potential, but he is better than Ameobi in some ways right now.

Guest Howaythetoon

Jumping for balls 10 minutes before they were knocked forward, what's all that about? Abysmal performance from our strike force, neither of whom are Premier League material. For anyone in any doubt that we need a striker, let yesterday be a stark reminder.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_4913580,00.html

Newcastle starlet Andy Carroll has turned down the club's offer of a new contract, skysports.com understands.

The 20-year-old has made a big impact on Tyneside this term after breaking through into Joe Kinnear's first-team squad.

Premier League goals against Manchester City and West Ham have firmed up the belief at St James' Park that Carroll could become a hugely valuable member of their squad.

However, Newcastle's current offer of a five-year deal has been shunned by England youth international Carroll.

The Gateshead-born front-man has two-years left on his current deal, but Newcastle are keen to extend that.

Guest toonlass

From what I heard it would put him eventually on £10,000 a week. He needs to prove he is a competant striker at premiership level before he can go demanding better wages tbh.

Shame, he's looked good in the games I've seen him. Hopefully he'll change his mind when Owen fucks off and only really have to be better than Shola to get a start (assuming Viduka will be out injured or not given a new contract).

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_4913580,00.html

Newcastle starlet Andy Carroll has turned down the club's offer of a new contract, skysports.com understands.

The 20-year-old has made a big impact on Tyneside this term after breaking through into Joe Kinnear's first-team squad.

Premier League goals against Manchester City and West Ham have firmed up the belief at St James' Park that Carroll could become a hugely valuable member of their squad.

However, Newcastle's current offer of a five-year deal has been shunned by England youth international Carroll.

The Gateshead-born front-man has two-years left on his current deal, but Newcastle are keen to extend that.

Not too fussed ATM. I don't blame him for knocking back a contract on those terms, I'm sure there's room for negotiation. He's a long way from being good enough yet IMO.

But if he does go on to improve and becomes a good Premiership striker - 10k at the age of 25 would be very poor wages so I understand him knocking them back.  Maybe, they just need to do something more incentive based as he lost his way for a while but seems to have got back on track recently.

The fact he has two years left on his current contract means there is nothing to see here yet.

If he has turned down the offer fine, see if he improves over the rest of the season and consider a new contract offer further down the line.

If I was going to offer him anything it would be a one year extension with a higher appearance fee.

Yeah, agree entirely. :undecided: He's done alright in very few appearances... we've made these sort of mistakes countless times before. There's a chance that next season he'll be fifth or sixth choice again.