Andy Carroll signs new 3.5 year contract

Guest Heneage

Guest iliketoonarmy

Have to admit he was a bag of w*** when he came on.

Was shouting at him before their Equaliser to get a tackle in and all he did was watch the dumb t***.

Couldn't hold the ball up for toffee and looked like he couldn't be arsed to track back and help his fellow teamates that had been busting a gut all evening.

Where were Xisco and Ranger????

Down to 10 men and not long to go, we needed a big player, a target man that could hold the ball up, well I think that was the thinking behind putting him on, he was poor but 11 ins to go did not give him long to settle.

If you watch the game again and again you wouldn't say that.

Guest Heneage

Andy Carroll chasing Newcastle recall

Fit-again striker Andy Carroll hopes to make a Newcastle United comeback for tomorrow's derby at Sunderland.

Carroll – who is back from a foot injury – told the Evening Chronicle: “For anybody from Newcastle, this is the game they want to play in.

“That is the same for me, hopefully I will play in it. I just have to see what Joe Kinnear says, but the confidence in the camp is high.

“You saw that when we had 10 men against Manchester City.

“We worked hard for each other, and everybody will be coming together to do the same again at Sunderland.”

I hate him even more now.

Andy Carroll chasing Newcastle recall

Fit-again striker Andy Carroll hopes to make a Newcastle United comeback for tomorrow's derby at Sunderland.

Carroll – who is back from a foot injury – told the Evening Chronicle: “For anybody from Newcastle, this is the game they want to play in.

“That is the same for me, hopefully I will play in it. I just have to see what Joe Kinnear says, but the confidence in the camp is high.

“You saw that when we had 10 men against Manchester City.

“We worked hard for each other, and everybody will be coming together to do the same again at Sunderland.”

I hate him even more now.

Apart from himself that is.

• 2 weeks later...

Andy Carroll targets NUFC first-team place

Nov 5 2008 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

GEORDIE boy Andy Carroll has vowed to keep trying to catch the eye of Joe Kinnear after another sparkling display for Newcastle United’s second string.

The 19-year old England youth international is also attracting interest from Cardiff City, who are desperate for firepower following key injuries to their forward line.

Cardiff boss Dave Jones tried to sign Carroll on loan last term, but the Gateshead-born player opted to switch to Preston North End and spent the first half of last season at Deepdale.

Now, though, with injuries at St James’s Park clearing up, there is a possibility Carroll could be farmed out on loan to a Championship side to gain vital first-team experience – and Cardiff are thought to be interested as they go into Saturday’s visit to QPR low on numbers.

Even a penalty miss from the academy product failed to take the gloss off his display in last night’s 1-1 reserve draw with Hull City, as he took his tally to two goals in two games for Richard Money’s side since returning from a foot injury.

Carroll said: “I just need to keep going. I have missed penalties before and always continued to score goals.

“You cannot just give up if you miss a penalty.

“Once I had hit it I thought ‘this is bottom corner all day,’ but the goalkeeper guessed the right way.

“That is what penalties are all about – you pick your direction and hit it, but if the goalkeeper guesses right that is the way it goes and you get on with it.

“Overall, I am happy, although my fitness has not been as high as I would like.

“I have been doing extra work in training and that has made a difference.

“Now I am up there in terms of fitness – I have just played 90 minutes for the first time this season.

“I kept on running strong until the end, so hopefully the manager will see something and give me the chance.”

Carroll has already impressed Kinnear in training, but the former Wimbledon boss knows Oba Martins, Michael Owen and an in-form Shola Ameobi are ahead of him in the pecking order.

Carroll made 11 appearances at Preston last year and grabbed one goal – and he would not shirk at another stint on loan.

He added: “Newcastle United come first. If I am needed here as cover for injuries then so be it – but I would love to go on loan.

“We are a bit short at the moment, so we will see what happens.

“I will just keep going and try to get into the first team.

“If a loan comes along, though, it would be good for experience.”

Carroll’s headed goal cancelled out Stelios’ opener for Hull and, despite the penalty miss, he still had several chances to wrap up the win for United’s second string.

He added: “I thought we played well in the second half.

“I had a few chances, but I thought their goalkeeper played very well and pulled off some great saves.

He needs a loan spell badly now, and just to be given 4 or 5 starts in a row at the very least to prove he's up to scratch. If he isn't let him carry on in our reserves and keep farming the bastard out, if he makes the grade, keep giving him sub appearances and the odd start.

Guest Heneage

Are they referring to last nights game against Hull when they say sparkling? I heard he could have hid a bakers dozen. And missed a penalty.

Are they referring to last nights game against Hull when they say sparkling? I heard he could have hid a bakers dozen. And missed a penalty.

What's this mean out of interest? I'm probably reading it wrong.. just curious.

He should've scored 3 could've had 4.  Scored a brilliant header from about 10 yards,  headed straight at the keeper in the 1st half,  missed a pen with a rather weak effort, bit too casual, kind of pen that looks good when the keeper goes the wrong way but if he guesses right you look silly.  They should all have been converted and in the first half he had a excellent volley from just inside the box which just went narrowly over.

• 2 months later...

Ok he isn't amazing but he is looking a lot better and I would have kept him on instead of Shola today. Has a weird running style. Does seem to win quite a few balls in the air and nearly scored 2 really good goals.

Guest firetotheworks

Ive been converted to giving him an extended chance I must admit. Decent in the air and gets stuck in, he could make the cut in this league if he gets a few more goals between now and the end of the season.

Guest LucaAltieri

He's been given an opportunity through our injury situation and fair play to him he's starting to make the step up. He's good in the air, just needs to learn to direct his flick-ons a little better (would also help if he had someone to direct them towards, but anyway...).

Still needs to improve. Needs to sharpen up and add more to his game but so far he's playing above what I expected.

Was impressed with him again.

We dont have much of a choice right now, he needs to be taking these chances and using them. He hasnt let us down yet, think we will sell him or loan him out in the summer though (if we stay up).

Would be nice to be in a position to do so but I don't think we will.

I think Carroll's the type of player who will get better as each game goes on. He has potential and if he's given his chance then hopefully he'll bang in a few more between now and the end of the season.

He looked good today and was unlucky with that effort that hit the bar. But it would be unfair to judge him playing alongside Shola. Its not that Shola is really bad, its that those two just cant possibly play together. Their too similar (no offence Andy).

I'm still trying to work out why Carroll was taken off while Shola stayed on the pitch.

He landed badly on his ankle at one point I think.

He was blatantly crocked around the 60th minute.

Knowing our luck, we should be getting word shortly that he's out for the season.

He had a decent game today IMO, alot better than the useless donkey who was upfront with him.

I'd have liked to have seen Carroll stay on and taken Shola off although it just depends on whether the injury was ran off or is going to cause problems for the next match.

Oba and Carroll upfront for West Brom?