West Brom (H) pre match thread

STM

Its hard to try and 2nd guess JK, no idea what he will do really, we are at home and must win would he try a 4-3-3?

-----------Given

Beye--Tayls--Colo--Bass

---jonas--Guth---Bart

----Oba--Shola---Duff

i think probably the team but the formation more like:

-----------Given

Beye--Tayls--Colo--Bass

-jonas--Guth---Bart---Duff

--------Oba--Shola---

Don't really understand where the Duff critics are coming from.

He's probably been our best player so far this year.

If only he had a flaming right foot!

Had a poor game yesterday but only becuase of the way we played we took him out of the game, long ball shite upto Shola instead of spreading play and trying to get inbehind then.

Don't really understand where the Duff critics are coming from.

He's probably been our best player so far this year.

If only he had a flaming right foot!

Do you know what I agree with you there.I went to see him in Dublin and he was man of the match there as well.Not only do we just hoof the ball up the field when we do give it to our wide man,we dont do it quick enough the oppositon defense  have regrouped.If we give him good quick balls out to him on the wing he would do damage

The one time Duff really looked like a class player was when the game was opened up and he was allowed to run in space. He was by no means poor yesterday but i still prefer N'Zogbia because of his raw pace and ability to run at people.

I hope he rings the changes on tuesday but i have a feeling it will be all the wrong players who are left out and all the usual culprits will remain.

If we don't beat West Brom then i'm going to really start to worry.

My team would be

Given,Beye,Colocinni,Bassong,Zog,Duff,Guthrie,Barton,Jonas,Martins,Ameobi

Team that i expect to see,

Given,Beye,Colocinni,Taylor,Bassong,Geremi,Butt,Guthrie,Duff,Martins,Ameobi.

It will be a fucking disgrace if he starts Butt but I fully expect him to,when he should attack these fuckers!

My team would be

It will be a f***ing disgrace if he starts Butt but I fully expect him to,when he should attack these fuckers!

If Zoggy is behind Duff then it has to be as a wing back not a full back..

-------------Given

----Tayls----Colo-----Bass

Beye-----------------------Zoggy

--------Guth------Barton

Jonas-----------------------Duff

--------------Martins

My team would be

It will be a f***ing disgrace if he starts Butt but I fully expect him to,when he should attack these fuckers!

If Zoggy is behind Duff then it has to be as a wing back not a full back..

-------------Given

----Tayls----Colo-----Bass

Beye-----------------------Zoggy

--------Guth------Barton

Jonas-----------------------Duff

--------------Martins

Thing is with that 3-5-2/5-3-2 formation, there's a danger the wingers and the full backs will clash, essentially having 2 people in the same area when only one is needed, and thus leaving a hell of a lot of space. Alternatively I suppose it could work if the wing backs are adept. It just seems that in that case Duff and Jonas would have to come inside more, when surely their greatest attributes are best performed in wider positions?

Guest WashyGeordie

Just like Pompey a couple of seasons ago, this is a must win game.

And i think we will.

Either a tough 1-0 win or a 3-0/1 win to prove a point/backlash.

Given

Beye Bassong Colo Enrique

Jonas Guthrie Barton Zoggy

Martins Xisco

If we dont win this, we are in fuckin serious bother.

Tactics: Keep the ball on the deck as often as possible. 2 weeks fine for anyone repeatedly lumping it long.

That'd do me.

Given

Beye Colo Taylor Enrique

Jonas Guthrie Barton Duff

Ameobi Martins

Subs: Harper, Geremi, Butt, N'Zogbia, Cacapa, Xisco, Bassong

Butt and Bassong were terrible against Sunderland and need to be dropped. Barton and Jonas need to start for us to win. I reckon we'll turn them over 2-0.

Given

Beye Bassong Colo Enrique

Jonas Guthrie Barton Zoggy

Martins Xisco

If we dont win this, we are in fuckin serious bother.

Tactics: Keep the ball on the deck as often as possible. 2 weeks fine for anyone repeatedly lumping it long.

That'd do me.

ding ding ding ding ding!!

Will someone give this guy a fucking medal?

the team I posted won't start in a million years.  Xisco definitely won't start, and I'd be surprised if Taylor, Butt and Duff lost their places.  And it makes me f***ing fed up to think that.

Agreed, what's interesting though is that the majority of people on this thread agree on a similar line up, with the exception of Taylor/Bassong & Xisco/Shola.  there's plenty of room on the bench for the other. (whatever happened to tactics?)

I have only ever once truly feared relegation in my time supporting this club. That was against Blackburn last season, when Derbyshire scored in the last minute. We were 'only' shite under Roeder and Souness, but we still had the strokes of luck and the last gasps of ability to sneak some home wins, which kept us away from the relegation zone. But last season, around that Blackburn game, we were getting nowt - looking like typical relegationees. Ie, not getting the results or the luck and it really did look ominous.

If we lose on Tuesday night then i'll feel that way again.

We've got to win, it's as simple as that really. We've got some genuine quality back to choose from now, and there is no need to play negatively. Play our best players, play football, and fucking win.

I'd go:

Given

Beye Taylor Coloccini Enrique

Jonas Guthrie Barton N'Zogbia

Martins Ameobi

Subs: Harper, Caçapa, Bassong, Geremi, Duff, Xisco

ZOMG!!!1 Ameobi and Taylor. I know, controversial. With the ball at his feet though, Shola's looked good. I don't think, in those two past games, i've seen him beat his man as many times as he has done. He's looked relatively dangerous tbh - he'll be confident n'all. I wouldn't play long-ball, simple as that really.

As for Taylor, well, continuity really. Coloccini's been class and Taylor's been stop-start. I'd rather put my faith in Taylor, rather than change the personnel again and potentially hinder Colo's obvious progress, too. Enrique's got to start though. I like Bassong but he is inept at left-back.

Nicky Butt should be rotting in the reserves.

Its a must win game. Looking on the bright side it is amazing that considering how rotten our results have been this season we are only 7 points off 7th in the table. We are very lucky that there are a lot of teams that are still very close together.

I'd go with: -

Given

Beye Taylor Coloccini Enrique

Duff Guthrie Barton Jonas

Martins Ameobi

Subs: Harper, Caçapa, Bassong, Geremi, N'Zogbia, Xisco

I'm no fan of Duff but he's had two out of three good games in his last three games.