Newcastle United 2 - 0 Aston Villa - 03/11/08 - Post match joy from page 18

Decky

we looked really solid overall, bit shakey at the back as per but i like that we didnt sit back, which is wot i thought joe would try to get the players to do

JK would be mad to try that again after what we all saw happening against WBA

we looked really solid overall, bit shakey at the back as per but i like that we didnt sit back, which is wot i thought joe would try to get the players to do

JK would be mad to try that again after what we all saw happening against WBA

exactly hoping he's learned from that and man city ... we really have the quality if available and apply it correctly

Guest Chris P

If we somehow pull off 6 points against Fulham and Wigan (which probably won't happen,) we probably won't have to worry about relegation anymore.

silly statement

shola given MoM on century

not entirely unjustified...could be shared between jonas, colo and obaaa

Never for Shola...looked old poor himself once again! Every single time we made something to happen in Villa's defensive zone it was Duff, Jonas or Oba! Shola was just as frustrating as always. Classy first touch ;)

Shola wasn't quite as effective today as he had been against West Brom et al (tough to win everything in the air with Laursen around), but he didn't do anything wrong today, and had this class moment when he literally walked past a bunch of Villa players to put a cross into the box.

So next match does he stick with Oba and shola or start with Owen.

6 months ago he was unemployed without a hope of managing a Championship side.  In the last two matches he's had his first sniff of a good team getting good results and good performances.  If I were him, I wouldn't change a thing. 

Setanta ripping into Barton.

His performance was quality, gives us some real confidence/arrogance in the middle of the park

Apart from the obvious, Enrique and Duff were very good second half

Thought for his overall contribution, Ameobi was MOM

Barton was very good, always looking to get the ball forward. He created the goal, which really turned the game around.

But that little flick in Agbonlohor's face was really stupid. All it needs is for the opponent to clutch his face and no matter how softly you've hit him, you're off. The foot up was also unnecessary.

If a player gets sent off after a last ditch tackle in the cause of the team, you accept that. But that sort of petulance is potentially letting the team down.

Guest Chris P

Thats the biggest result since Bobby Robson was manager

Come on, 7th place under Roeder had some nice results didnt it?

you know what i'am saying though

For what it's worth, he's my opinion

Tonight proved what a simple game football can be. No matter the apparent form 2 teams are in, its 11 v 11 on the pitch, and tonight emphasised the vital importance of the 1st goal in a match. Whilst people may argue that the first goal was slightly undeserved on the balance of play up until Martins' great strike, there was no doubt that Newcastle were by far and away the better team after it.

Jonas and Martins are, I feel, the 2 most important players in the team. By that I mean, when those 2 turn up, Newcastle will play well. And I felt this was the case tonight. Gutierrez's run for the second showed that he has that something different, the ability to easily beat his man through a sudden burst of pace. Martins was a workhorse all night, and deserved his goals.

And at the back, I must say I haven't seen Newcastle defend so well for a long time. Perhaps the mistake by Colo for Agbonlahor's chance aside, it was a near spotless performance from the back, and this was complemented by a hard-working midfield.

Whilst it was disappointing Butt's sensational efforts (!) didn't go in, I felt Barton optimised the team's general performance. Aggressive but fair, tenacious, and always looking for the ball. I couldn't really see a major weak link in the side tonight, and to criticise players using tonight's performances as a basis would be highly pedantic imo.

Overall, great to see Newcastle do what everyone knows they can do - produce a hungry, highly motivated performance and deservedly get the 3 points they so desperately required.

Well done.

Delighted with the second half, couldn't see us getting anything out of the game based on what I saw in the first.

The best thing for me about the game is how we went for the second goal to kill the game off. Last time we had the lead we became too negative and dropped deep far too much and it made things more difficult and nervy than it needed to be. Superb second half, and I'm delighted because that'll give all the players a huge lift and we can go into our next match full of confidence. This was such an important result.

Let's not forget we're getting our important players back from injury and into match fitness now. Duff is looking a lot better nowadays, Enrique was quality, Taylor did his job but should have scored, Jonas was excellent and Martins' second half performance was his best this season and in a long time. The rest were fine too, though Barton has to be more careful.

3 points, 2 goals against a better side and a clean sheet, what more could I ask for at the moment?

So next match does he stick with Oba and shola or start with Owen.

6 months ago he was unemployed without a hope of managing a Championship side.  In the last two matches he's had his first sniff of a good team getting good results and good performances.  If I were him, I wouldn't change a thing. 

Agree 100%. There a was good fluidity to our play. Owen should sign a contract if he wants to be part of the fun.

Guest Chris P

His performance was quality, gives us some real confidence/arrogance in the middle of the park

Barton was very good, always looking to get the ball forward. He created the goal, which really turned the game around.

But that little flick in Agbonlohor's face was really stupid. All it needs is for the opponent to clutch his face and no matter how softly you've hit him, you're off. The foot up was also unnecessary.

If a player gets sent off after a last ditch tackle in the cause of the team, you accept that. But that sort of petulance is potentially letting the team down.

thought the tackle was canny

Aye, that was out of order from Setanta IMO. Didn't say a word about how he bossed the midfield today and got a very important assist.

Can't stop smiling at the moment, not only a massive result but a more than decent performance to go with it. I'll admit I never thought we could win this one, but the lads did us all proud.

Confidence back, players back, winning ways back.

Chuffed I'm going to Fulham now.

On the minus side, how shit were the commentators on Setanta? Couldn't stop mentioning anything negative to do with Newcastle. Don't care now though!

:wav:

All of these media outlets saying Villa were unlucky - :lol:

We dominated them.

Thought both Taylor and Coloccini were fantastic. They defended really well as a partnership for a change.

It's the first time that I've watched us that I was confident that the other team wouldn't score, and it's not like we were playing someone crap.