Joe Kinnear

ShearMagic

Read the thread, naturally. Didn't realize how positive you guys were about him :lol:.

Always had a soft spot for Joe, from his stylish Tottenham right back days through to his press room profanities. Real football guy and good sense of humour.

Happy birthday old fella.

Guest bimpy474

While wanting to forget his management here, i admire a manager who fronts up journo's who spout their bullshit unchecked usually.

Happy Fucking Birthday Joe, you cunt.

I can't remember his time here. Remember his press conference when he took the job, and his heart attack plus him talking about how he had an offer from us still on the table. The rest of it has been unfortunately blocked out and forgotten about.

Guest Howaythetoon

Rumour had it...

He came in one day and told Viduka he didn't care about what he did in training, as long as he did the business on the pitch. So... Viduka decided to stop coming into training, along with a few others.

His nickname around the training ground was Joke Kinnear.

Offered several players on in the dressing room.

And from a Rob Lee talk in, when Shearer took over, players came into training when and where they liked, hardly sat or ate together and never did any extra training.  That and a good few were always on the piss a day or two before the match.

Kinnear was a fucking disaster and the main reason outside of Ashley why we were relegated. By the time Shearer come in, the players were already lost, the season was already over. Basically we were going down. The proverbial sinking ship.

Guest bimpy474

To be fair, we looked a far worse outfit under Shearer than anyone else that season. The attacking players in particular looked like they didn't know each other during that awful 2 month period.

Aye, Shearer and his, lets be clever and play 3 at the back nonsense.

To be fair, we looked a far worse outfit under Shearer than anyone else that season. The attacking players in particular looked like they didn't know each other during that awful 2 month period.

Shearer tried to change things and it didn't work, simple as. The damage was done.

Kinnear was an embarrassment , a terrible manager and a prick.

Guest Howaythetoon

Shearer lost the players when he imposed a no drinking rule, forced players to eat together and train together, set time limits and even hand them a code of conduct booklet type thing. He probably tried to change things too much too soon, but regardless, things were so far gone anyway by that time, even if we only went down by one point or whatever, we were going down, it was inevitable. We probably should of just kept Hughton on until the end.

What I thought Shearer did wrong, was downplaying his whole return/legend status thing. At home to Chelsea, the atmosphere was flat as a fart, unlike when KK returned even in the stands against Stoke, and that's because Shearer refused to acknowledge or play on the legend returning thing which the fans were well up for until he basically poured cold water over.

In short he failed to galvanise the fans which could have made that bit difference to keep us up.

Shearer lost the players when he imposed a no drinking rule, forced players to eat together and train together, set time limits and even hand them a code of conduct booklet type thing. He probably tried to change things too much too soon, but regardless, things were so far gone anyway by that time, even if we only went down by one point or whatever, we were going down, it was inevitable. We probably should of just kept Hughton on until the end.

What I thought Shearer did wrong, was downplaying his whole return/legend status thing. At home to Chelsea, the atmosphere was flat as a fart, unlike when KK returned even in the stands against Stoke, and that's because Shearer refused to acknowledge or play on the legend returning thing which the fans were well up for until he basically poured cold water over.

In short he failed to galvanise the fans which could have made that bit difference to keep us up.

I think you make some good points in this post but that last comment is very bizarre. The fans were utterly powerless, especially with powderpuff cunts like Owen and Duff in the side.

The atmosphere against Boro is possibly the best I've ever been at.

Guest Howaythetoon

I think you make some good points in this post but that last comment is very bizarre. The fans were utterly powerless, especially with powderpuff c***s like Owen and Duff in the side.

I'm talking about rallying the fans, creating a whole upbeat atmosphere etc. around the whole club in general which he simply didn't even allow to get going. He even refused to wave to the fans at home to Chelsea when they sang Shearer Shearer give us a wave. I can understand why he didn't want it to be about him but it was, here we had Alan shearer, our hero, our legend, coming back to save us... and after the initial fanfare it just fizzled out.

The atmosphere at home to Boro was amazing but as soon as we started chanting cheerio oh, going down etc. I knew it would come back to haunt us, I think we all thought after that we were safe. HA!

I remember us winning back-to-back just before Christmas where we thumped Pompey away and beat Spurs at home (class goal from Duff from a Viduka backheel) and we went up to a safe mid-table spot at the midway point just about. I honestly thought we'd be fine and stay out of trouble after that Spurs game.

He played it only once and that was away to Stoke in which we got a good point from a tough place. It's not as if there aren't any teams today who are successful with the 3 at the back. :lol:

Rumour had it...

He came in one day and told Viduka he didn't care about what he did in training, as long as he did the business on the pitch. So... Viduka decided to stop coming into training, along with a few others.

Think it was under Colin Wanker in the championship where Taarabt got told not to go into training and just turn up for games.  :lol:

Guest bimpy474

He played it only once and that was away to Stoke in which we got a good point from a tough place. It's not as if there aren't any teams today who are successful with the 3 at the back. :lol:

And we looked a mess, and yes teams do play it ok but we certainly at the time wasn't one of them.

He wasn't good for us, tbf to him he came in when we were a shambles but his tactics were terrible. Smoggies at home was the only time we played ok, in the rest of the games we were shit.

And I was so convinced we were okay. :(

I was practically in tears when Oba's goal went in, thought we'd done it and were safe. Fuck me what a rush of emotions that was.

And I was so convinced we were okay. :(

I was fucking furious at the next game against Fulham. Both the players and the fans were so not up for it. I know  it's up to players to a certain extent to get the fans going, but that last home game was massive to us and and it just didn't seem to register, I felt fans let us down there too. It shouldn't have been despair or apathy either as it was straight after boro.