Given linked with Spurs

Syrette

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/spurs-may-bid-for-given-991537.html

Tottenham are ready to take advantage of the crisis at Newcastle by launching a bid for Shay Given.

The Newcastle goalkeeper is unhappy at the constant turmoil on Tyneside and is ready to make a move when the transfer window opens.

Toon owner Mike Ashley wants to cash in on his top stars before he sells the club and knows Given is one of the club's most highly prized assets.

And new Spurs boss Redknapp has confirmed he would be interested in the Republic of Ireland goalkeeper if he becomes available.

Redknapp said: "Shay Given is a great goalkeeper who I admire. Any manager would have to be interested in him if he became available." Sources close to Given - who would command a £7 million fee - insist he is ready to leave Tyneside in the New Year in an attempt to join a successful club.

A close friend of Given said: "Shay is widely regarded as one, if not the best, goalkeeper in the Premier League.

"Yet he has nothing to show for his ability as he has not won a major trophy in his entire career.

"He has always stated he is happy at Newcastle but the simple fact of the matter is he wants to win things. Although it will hurt him to do so, he is ready to leave Newcastle to achieve that.

"And he would be more than happy to go to a club like Tottenham where the club's potential under Harry is clearly enormous." Redknapp knows he needs to find a replacement for error prone Heurelho Gomes if he is to bring the sort of success he wants to White Hart Lane.

Given up on Gomes already?

I thought Given wasn't just settled down up north but well and truly cemented.  Reckon he might reluctantly leave for a "big four" (man u the likeliest target due to both VdS showing his age and geographically) but tottenham? ahahaha.

Guest Mucky01

Gomes is the worst ’keeper in the Prem by a long way, so not really unexpected

Mate told me Given is out of contract in the summer, is that true?

Tottenham are ready to take advantage of the crisis at Newcastle by launching a bid for Shay Given.

The Newcastle goalkeeper is unhappy at the constant turmoil on Tyneside and is ready to make a move when the transfer window opens.

Toon owner Mike Ashley wants to cash in on his top stars before he sells the club and knows Given is one of the club's most highly prized assets.

And new Spurs boss Redknapp has confirmed he would be interested in the Republic of Ireland goalkeeper if he becomes available.

Redknapp said: "Shay Given is a great goalkeeper who I admire. Any manager would have to be interested in him if he became available." Sources close to Given - who would command a £7 million fee - insist he is ready to leave Tyneside in the New Year in an attempt to join a successful club.

A close friend of Given said: "Shay is widely regarded as one, if not the best, goalkeeper in the Premier League.

"Yet he has nothing to show for his ability as he has not won a major trophy in his entire career.

"He has always stated he is happy at Newcastle but the simple fact of the matter is he wants to win things. Although it will hurt him to do so, he is ready to leave Newcastle to achieve that.

"And he would be more than happy to go to a club like Tottenham where the club's potential under Harry is clearly enormous." Redknapp knows he needs to find a replacement for error prone Heurelho Gomes if he is to bring the sort of success he wants to White Hart Lane.

:colo:

Redknapp's an utter fucking wanker. His "yeah I might take Defoe and the rest of Pompey's good players with me if I fancy it" utterings last week were disgusting.

Get fucked, you droopy faced twat.

As for "I'm sick of the constant turmoil of Newcastle, I'm off to play for the team at the bottom who've had twice as many managers", righto.

Guest Stephen927

Gomes is the worst ’keeper in the Prem by a long way, so not really unexpected

Still has another 3 years to run. Ends in 2011.

If by Given he meant Harper then, yes he's out of contract in the Summer. They do look alike so it's an easy mistake to make.

Given's contract runs until June 2011 according to http://www.nufc.com/2008-09html/squad.html

Looks like I was right with my prediction a few days ago on how we'll know if Redknapp is after our players, my example being Owen: -

We'll know if Redknapp is interested because a rash of "I admire Michael Owen and would love him in my team where he would do a great job but I don't like to talk about other club's players" stories will soon appear.

I don't know where to begin with this toilet paper of an article.  Given wants to move to get away from a club who are in crisis and join a successful club so he's going to the Spuds? :lol:  The team currently bottom of the table who have more false dawns then anyone else in Football..  You couldn't make this shit up, well no one with at least 50 brain cells could anyway.

The claim that Ashley wants to sell all the star players before the sale goes through is equally moronic..  I'm sure he'd like too, but there's no way in hell any new owner will be prepared to agree to Ashley selling their future assets while they're in the process of paying £300 million for them..

The "club insider" quotes that every paper uses when they're making an article up just tops it off.  Obviously the recent run of form we've shown has scared the press into action again, "better try to disrupt Newcastle quick!"

Redknapp nonchalantly taps players up in the media on a regular basis and nothing is ever done about it.

It's ridiculous.

Probably gets away with it because none of his hack mates at the papers will kick up a fuss like they would if other managers did this. Saggy faced cunt.

Given up on Gomes already?

Desperate to join Spurs then mackems.gif