Fulham 2 - 1 Newcastle United - 09/11/08 - post match reaction from page 24

Dave

was the jonas subbing a tactical move or injury ?

(didn't see the game and only heard bits of it)

Tactical, he had a pretty poor game today tbh, gave the ball away far too often.

He had a poor game by his standards but he was still better than Duff.

Duff wasn't exactly on fire but he was no worse than Jonas.

Duff wasn't exactly on fire but he was no worse than Jonas.

I find Duff about as inspirational as a corpse, Jonas had a dodgy spell when he couldn't hold on to the ball or make the pass but he seemed to get over it.

This result will prove to be more significant than the home win over Villa.

I said after that, that I wouldn't get involved in any OTT celebrations about the performance because its getting results away from home, esp against relegation rivals, that will count - and so it has proved.

Leaving aside Cacapa's awful, school-boy style defensive error which put the team in a chasing position, the basic problem with the side is one which will, unless it is able to be addressed in January, will get the club relegated ; this is the fact that we have NO central MF player who can pick up the ball from the back 4 and start a dangerous attack with a decent defence-splitting pass, OR who can carry the ball forward himself and beat players - this causes the opposition defence to backpedal....

The number of times that the ball was passed around the back4, or from Butt & Co BACK to the back 4 meant that by the time it went forward, Fulham had their defence back in numbers and they crowded out players like Jonas , Martins & Duff.

There is no doubt that Hodgson will have sussed this out from scouting reports or by watching the team himself .

Failure to dominate a midfield results in defeat 8 times out of 10, and I shudder to think what Chelsea would do to us.....

Team not good enough because of too many weaknesses in key positions - will NOT be good enough until these are addressed and people have to stop kidding themselves ... relegation is becoming a probability, not a possibility - remember, the Mackems should have beaten Fulham at Craven Cottage - we never looked like doing it for most of the game.....

What worries me is that Cacapa struggled ALL FUCKING GAME and Kinnear took no action to change things. He had options on the bench, there was no excuse for sitting and watching him fuck up time and time again.

One of the most bizarre managerial performances at NUFC for many a year, up against some pretty fucking stiff competition there obviously.

2-1 down, Jonas off and Guthrie, N'Zogbia and Geremi are all sat on the bench, not even warming up. Absolutely fucking unbelievable. Doesn't have to be tactical genius, even if it's just a Robson-esque triple sub, CHANGE SOMETHING.

What worries me is that Cacapa struggled ALL FUCKING GAME and Kinnear took no action to change things. He had options on the bench, there was no excuse for sitting and watching him fuck up time and time again.

One of the most bizarre managerial performances at NUFC for many a year, up against some pretty fucking stiff competition there obviously.

2-1 down, Jonas off and Guthrie, N'Zogbia and Geremi are all sat on the bench, not even warming up. Absolutely fucking unbelievable. Doesn't have to be tactical genius, even if it's just a Robson-esque triple sub, CHANGE SOMETHING.

It's one of the main reasons why I can't wait to see the guy (Kinnear) leave. Not just for the fact that it doesn't help us at all on the pitch - also because not giving the likes of the aforementioned any minutes isn't going to help them at all in terms of confidence, or in Zoggy's case, wanting to remain here.

Thought Gutierrez and Enrique linked up very well at the start of the second half and I genuinely believed that we were going to romp to a win after Shola equalised. Shola's goal was coming and after that, we just piled on shot after shot.

Was there not a foul that lead-up to the Colo trip? From far away it looked as if one of theirs pushed one of ours, stole the ball and the next thing I remember is Johnson being through then tripped.

Martins was very poor and just not involved, but how can you when the midfield is bypassed again and again? Shola flick-ons are unpredictable, and that's an understatement and even though he scored, our general teamplay suffers with him on the pitch.

lets looks at the extended periods in the last 4 games where we've played the ball to Oba's feet

West Brom (first half)

Aston Villa (second half)

pattern emerging? Martins will be dropped next game for Owen, no doubt about it, it's fucking disgraceful. The lad hasn't got a chance

They did to us what we did to Villa, they did there homework.

They doubled up on Jonas so making him ineffective.

Better team (not better players, well not all of them anyway) won.

A bit of drive and pace in midfield would make a hell of a difference to us, someone else mentioned this but Fulham had ages to get back and form up before we got near their box.

Guest DarkSchneider

The way we play now, I think Owen would be better choice than Martins and Geremi would be better choice than Duff. At least his long balls find some targets. I hoped for this changes to happen yesterday, and maybe Zog for Enrique when we were down. Kinnear is maybe good at motivating and in Man management but he should be able to make changes when needed.

I think to a certain extent we were unlucky not to get something from this game. We conceded a penalty during our best period, and we were putting Fulham under some sustained pressure at that point.

The Cacapa error was silly, and the performance overall was probably below average... but I don't think it's as bad as some people are saying. The subs were weird though, really wanted to see NZogbia, Geremi and Owen earlier.

We were a bit unlucky, we hit the post, had a couple of decent shots saved and Owen missed the sitter. We did enough to get a point out of the game but the mistakes at the back cost us that point.

I thought Jonas looked tired and fading from the game so wasnt surprised to see him come off. Barton had another good game.

Was Bassong not fit?

I think Cacapa takes most of the blame and should never play for us again. but looking at the match as a whole I genuinely dont believe they players fancied it, the conditions put them all off including owen when he came on. Martins had his usual bad game after scoring, jonas was poor, butt was consistently bad, ameobi was, is and will always be a championship standard player, enrique was lost and duff was non-existent. Apart from that a good performance.

Fulham are a very very npoor side, we could have easily drummed  them 5-0, but as usal we were lazy and complacent. One final point for Joe, every team in the premier league has already worked out your long ball game you stupid twat, so why persist with it? Zog and gutherie any day for butt and duff.  :angry: :rant:

Leaving aside Cacapa's awful, school-boy style defensive error which put the team in a chasing position, the basic problem with the side is one which will, unless it is able to be addressed in January, will get the club relegated ;

We're not going to get relegated..  As for who we have to be beating, Fulham have lost one game at home this season, they're not as bad as you're making out.

Leaving aside Cacapa's awful, school-boy style defensive error which put the team in a chasing position, the basic problem with the side is one which will, unless it is able to be addressed in January, will get the club relegated ;

We're not going to get relegated..  As for who we have to be beating, Fulham have lost one game at home this season, they're not as bad as you're making out.

I'd be surprised if we did go down this season, but with all the teams from 9-20th so close, its not beyond the realms of possibility this year.

Kinnear was right about the pen and how poor the ref was, but our goal was offside, and while the baldy git dived, the ref was at fault.

Still - we were garbage and it was thanks to him playing Cacapa.

Guest Heneage

lets looks at the extended periods in the last 4 games where we've played the ball to Oba's feet

West Brom (first half)

Aston Villa (second half)

pattern emerging? Martins will be dropped next game for Owen, no doubt about it, it's f***ing disgraceful. The lad hasn't got a chance

As much as I like Oba yesterday he could have scored had he not tried the spectacular from 30 yards.

Guest Brazilianbob

I have no doubt whatsoever that we are in with a very good shout of going down this season.

If the club isn't sold, I honestly believe Ashley will not sanction any new players in January so we will have to make do with what we have, and  I don't think that what we have is consistently good enough to keep us up.

I have no doubt whatsoever that we are in with a very good shout of going down this season.

If the club isn't sold, I honestly believe Ashley will not sanction any new players in January so we will have to make do with what we have, and  I don't think that what we have is consistently good enough to keep us up.

That's embarrasingly inaccurate. Sure we are not "too good", but to say that we are a "good shout" is equally stupid.

We have a better squad than most of the bottom half. I think even under Kinnear we will pick up enough points at home.

That's embarrasingly inaccurate. Sure we are not "too good", but to say that we are a "good shout" is equally stupid.

We have a better squad than most of the bottom half. I think even under Kinnear we will pick up enough points at home.

The results don't back up your opinion of the squad - that is a fact.

The table doesn't lie ; we are in the position we deserve to be in - look how so many on here reckon our squad is as good or better than Spurs' ; then look at how they have done with a new(permanent) manager....

We are basically a bottom 6 side.