Drogba throwing a coin in to the crowd

Mowen

Not for a second excusing the actions of the crowd member but celebrating in front of the away fans in such a way is only going to wind them up in the first place.

Throwing an object at a player is out of order though, and so is throwing it back, whether it was in the heat of the moment or not.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,13866_4498318,00.html

Chelsea striker Didier Drogba has been charged with violent conduct by the Football Association.

The charge follows Drogba's actions after scoring the opening goal in Wednesday's Carling Cup tie with Burnley when he made an offensive gesture and threw a coin back at the visiting fans after being struck by objects hurled from the crowd.

The Ivory Coast international issued an apology immediately after the match which Burnley went on to win 5-4 on penalties.

Drogba has until 6pm on Monday to respond to the charge and a regulatory commission will hear the case on Tuesday.

Referee Keith Stroud informed the FA that he booked Drogba for celebrating in front of the away supporters, but did not see the coin-throwing incident.

Missiles

The FA have requested further information from both Chelsea and Burnley and are liaising with the Metropolitan Police, who have launched their own investigation into the incident.

The game's governing body have condemned the actions of the visiting supporters who threw coins at Drogba and have warned the culprits they face a possible life ban from attending football matches.

An FA spokesman said: "Players should be able to play football without fearing for their personal safety. It is totally unacceptable for players to be put in danger by supporters throwing missiles onto the pitch.

"The priority now is to work with the clubs and the police to identify the individuals involved. The FA wants anyone found guilty of throwing missiles to face the strongest possible action.

"That includes life bans from attending football matches."

If someone came to watch me at work and started throwing coins at me I'd be a bit annoyed like, and a bit richer. Can see why Drogba would throw it back but he has responsibilities not to rise to the crowd - even Barton had the sense to just pick them up and hand them to the 4th official

Haven't seen it but since it was Burnley fans I take it he was celebrating in front of them - did he step over the line doing that?

The comparison with Barton is that if he'd done the same with the stuff the mackems were throwing at him, he'd have been banned for the rest of the season.

Haven't seen it but since it was Burnley fans I take it he was celebrating in front of them - did he step over the line doing that?

The comparison with Barton is that if he'd done the same with the stuff the mackems were throwing at him, he'd have been banned for the rest of the season.

did he bollocks

Looks like he's only going to get a 3 match ban...

The FA are an absolute joke.  They have yet to charge Sunderland for their inability to control the crowd in the Derby, Even the fucking SFA & UEFA managed to fine Celtic for one dickhead on their pitch.  And then are set to only ban a player for 3 games, to which (i dont condone any of this mindless shit) a fan would be banned for life. 

Barton gets a 12 match suspended sentance for something that happened in a private training ground (im not sticking up for him here either) and yet a profane gesture and what can be deemed as intent to assault live on fucking TV gets 3 matches?

Talk about inability to maintain consistancy...

Looks like he's only going to get a 3 match ban...

The FA are an absolute joke.  They have yet to charge Sunderland for their inability to control the crowd in the Derby, Even the fucking SFA & UEFA managed to fine Celtic for one dickhead on their pitch.  And then are set to only ban a player for 3 games, to which (i dont condone any of this mindless shit) a fan would be banned for life. 

Barton gets a 12 match suspended sentance for something that happened in a private training ground (im not sticking up for him here either) and yet a profane gesture and what can be deemed as intent to assault live on fucking TV gets 3 matches?

Talk about inability to maintain consistancy...

What punishment do you think he should get?

Personally speaking I think he should get a 5 game minimum, and a nice ticking off by the coppers. 

All I'm merely trying to prove is that the consistancy of the FA is a joke.  I cant be arsed to think of other examples.  The Hartson incident springs to mind for one.

Personally speaking I think he should get a 5 game minimum, and a nice ticking off by the coppers. 

All I'm merely trying to prove is that the consistancy of the FA is a joke.  I cant be arsed to think of other examples.  The Hartson incident springs to mind for one.

He apologised after the game.

He's not going to contest the charge tomorrow - showing signs of remorse/regret.

There must have been an element of provocation to it too?

I think 3 matches and a caution from the Met Pol is about right.

If he does it again, I'd throw the book at him however.

Carragher?