Newcastle vs Wigan 15/11/08 - Pre-Match Thread

Guest Darth Toon

Just noticed this on .com.

Previewing this weekend's game, Bramble told the Wigan Observer:

"I'm enjoying playing football at the minute – everybody wants to play first-team football. I enjoyed my time at Newcastle but I had an up-and-down time – in the team one week and out of the team the next – and no player likes that. How are you going to get any form when you're in and out of the team?

"There is a lot more pressure up there because everyone is watching you, and you can do a lot of good things but get no credit for it, because they are waiting for you to make a mistake – and then you get hammered.

"I'm very happy here, though. Whether it's at a so-called big club like Newcastle or a so-called small club like Wigan, you just want to play football.

"I've been very pleased with my form, and the team has also being doing very well, although we haven't got the results we should have.

"This season it has been me and Boycey in the centre but you don't mind who you're playing with as long as you are getting the results. We do a lot of work on team shape and that's where you get your understanding from.

"It's also good to have a manager who has played at the top level, for the best team in the world for nearly 10 years, who has so much experience and knowledge to pass on. He's been fantastic for me.

"It's happened for a while now, and I just try and forget about it (when TV pundits seize on his lapses) You just have to get on with your game. As long the manager keeps picking you and you've got your team-mates and your family behind you, that's all that matters.

"Nobody makes mistakes on purpose, and everybody does make mistakes. Sometimes it is a lapse in concentration, sometimes it is bad technique, but it happens to everyone.

"Strikers miss open goals, but they can get away with it. But if defenders or goalkeepers make a mistake, the ball is in the back of the net. That's the position we play in. That's the way it goes.

"At the time we had just got relegated at Ipswich, and you can't turn a team like Newcastle down. It's a massive club and they are impossible to turn down when they come in. I've got no regrets about going to the club. I had some good times there, and I've still got some friends up there.

"Because they are a former team, you do tend to look at what's going on. It is a mess up there, and it has been for a while. But if they do get it right, it can be a massive club because they have a great fanbase. They need to get it right starting at the top."

"I just want to play week in, week out for Wigan. That's my bread and butter, that's all I'm looking at for the moment.

"I've played for England Under-21s, and it's always nice to play for your country at any level, but I'm concentrating on Wigan. If (England) happens, it happens."

What a line to go out on!

Just noticed this on .com.

Previewing this weekend's game, Bramble told the Wigan Observer:

"I'm enjoying playing football at the minute – everybody wants to play first-team football. I enjoyed my time at Newcastle but I had an up-and-down time – in the team one week and out of the team the next – and no player likes that. How are you going to get any form when you're in and out of the team?

"There is a lot more pressure up there because everyone is watching you, and you can do a lot of good things but get no credit for it, because they are waiting for you to make a mistake – and then you get hammered.

"I'm very happy here, though. Whether it's at a so-called big club like Newcastle or a so-called small club like Wigan, you just want to play football.

"I've been very pleased with my form, and the team has also being doing very well, although we haven't got the results we should have.

"This season it has been me and Boycey in the centre but you don't mind who you're playing with as long as you are getting the results. We do a lot of work on team shape and that's where you get your understanding from.

"It's also good to have a manager who has played at the top level, for the best team in the world for nearly 10 years, who has so much experience and knowledge to pass on. He's been fantastic for me.

"It's happened for a while now, and I just try and forget about it (when TV pundits seize on his lapses) You just have to get on with your game. As long the manager keeps picking you and you've got your team-mates and your family behind you, that's all that matters.

"Nobody makes mistakes on purpose, and everybody does make mistakes. Sometimes it is a lapse in concentration, sometimes it is bad technique, but it happens to everyone.

"Strikers miss open goals, but they can get away with it. But if defenders or goalkeepers make a mistake, the ball is in the back of the net. That's the position we play in. That's the way it goes.

"At the time we had just got relegated at Ipswich, and you can't turn a team like Newcastle down. It's a massive club and they are impossible to turn down when they come in. I've got no regrets about going to the club. I had some good times there, and I've still got some friends up there.

"Because they are a former team, you do tend to look at what's going on. It is a mess up there, and it has been for a while. But if they do get it right, it can be a massive club because they have a great fanbase. They need to get it right starting at the top."

"I just want to play week in, week out for Wigan. That's my bread and butter, that's all I'm looking at for the moment.

"I've played for England Under-21s, and it's always nice to play for your country at any level, but I'm concentrating on Wigan. If (England) happens, it happens."

What a line to go out on!

Good luck with that!  :snod:

I'm sure if:

John Terry

Rio Ferdinand

Joleon Lescott

Matt Upson

Micah Richards

Phil Jagielka

Wes Brown

Jonny Woodgate

Steve Taylor

Anton Ferdinand

Michael Mancienne

Curtis Davies

Sol Campbell

Gary Cahill

David Wheater

Chris Riggott

Michael Ball

Nedum Onuoha

Ryan Shawcross

Anthony Gardner

Michael Turner

...Spontaneously combust and Jamie Carragher remains retired.....

....Then Bramble can vie with Dawson for a place

3-1 to us.

Some combination of Barton, Martins, and Ameobi.

Sibbers can have a goal and be class by not celebrating it.  :snod:

are we playing norwich like?

Wigan's vital football site says he was re-called as he was at Wigan's training ground today - he had been ruled out of Norwich's game tomorrow with a dodgy knee so it's unclear whether he was just getting treatment at Wigan or if they were assessing if they could get a game out of him tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure the team will stay the same apart from Bassong in for Cacapa. Acceptable. I'd have Guthrie in for Butt and Zog in for Duff as well, but neither of those will happen.

edit: We'll cock all over them. Come on!

NUFC team to play Wigan:

Given

Beye Colo Bassong Enrique

Jonas Butt Barton Duff

Martins Ameobi

SUBS: Harper, Cacapa, N'Zogbia, Geremi, Guthrie, Owen, Carroll

Standard.

Stoopid JFK better be using those subs well  :angry: