Sunderland appoint Steve 'I bleed black and white' Bruce as new manager

cp40

Shearer would surely never let that happen

What say does Shearer have in the matter?

I'm sure Shearer would do everything in his power to prevent Bassong going to Sunderland. Besides I can't see Bassong deserting us to join a team that was only 2 points better off than us last season. Two years time the rolls will be reversed again.

Shearer isn't employed by the club so has no say whatsoever. And I think you're overestimating Bassong's loyalty.

I don't know him.

Our resident Norwegian film-maker reckons Skejlbred already turned them down.  :shifty:

Spurs wasn't it?

Every team in the world. He loves us you know

Aye, of course.

I'm sure Shearer would do everything in his power to prevent Bassong going to Sunderland. Besides I can't see Bassong deserting us to join a team that was only 2 points better off than us last season. Two years time the rolls will be reversed again.

Shearer isn't employed by the club so has no say whatsoever. And I think you're overestimating Bassong's loyalty.

Not refering to his loyalty but rather the fact that if he was to leave it would be to a better team. With any luck the Shearer thing will be sorted before any deals go through. Although I wouldn't put anything past this ownership, I really don't think they would do anything to compromise Shearers plans as I believe he is integral to the sale of the club.

Not refering to his loyalty but rather the fact that if he was to leave it would be to a better team. With any luck the Shearer thing will be sorted before any deals go through. Although I wouldn't put anything past this ownership, I really don't think they would do anything to compromise Shearers plans as I believe he is integral to the sale of the club.

I read something the other day that makes sense regarding Shearer and a potential takeover.

Ashley might want him appointed to make the club more attractive (popular manager already in place, fans happy etc) - but that relies on this supposed bank agreement in case there's no takeover. Another party though may want Shearer to hold off signing a deal so that they can negotiate the price of the club down, then have an sly agreement in place to appoint him anyway.

It's all speculation but there could be some kind of power struggle going on regarding Shearer's appointment.

I read the other day something that makes sense regarding Shearer and a potential takeover.

Ashley might want him appointed to make the club more attractive (popular manager already in place, fans happy etc) - but that relies on this supposed bank agreement in case there's no takeover. Another party though may want Shearer to hold off signing a deal so that they can negotiate the price of the club down, then have an sly agreement in place to appoint him anyway.

There could be some kind of power struggle going on regarding Shearer's appointment.

I firmly believe Shearer will be appointed no matter what the outcome, what does rely heavily on the outcome though is capital, therefor team building, therefor probability of Premiership status next year. Not something that can be done on a shoestring budget with all the transfers in and out of the club needed.

IF he had a say in the matter, and lets hope he will, very soon

Shearer's ran away on Holiday, so if anything bad happens like selling our best players for fuk all he cannot be blamed.

I expect a big clearout of all the players we'd like to keep for sod all in the next week or so Shearer's on holiday.

Shearer's ran away on Holiday, so if anything bad happens like selling our best players for fuk all he cannot be blamed.

I expect a big clearout of all the players we'd like to keep for sod all in the next week or so Shearer's on holiday.

I think he's supposed to back on Monday, so not enough time to get rid of the bunch of mercenaries we have on our books.

what's your point? Who suggested he could be blamed?

I think he's supposed to back on Monday, so not enough time to get rid or the bunch of mercenaries we have on our books.

I really hope so. I just don't trust anyone with any power at SJP to do the right thing by the club apart from Shearer, with him gone it really does give them free reign.

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the club sold Bassong before we even have a manager.

Yes  - spot-on Dave.

• 7 months later...

Mackems are looking a sorry shower at the minute. Bruce has an eye for a player but I still haven't seen that much evidence that he can put a side together, or manage his players for a sustained period of time.

Mackems are looking a sorry shower at the minute. Bruce has an eye for a player but I still haven't seen that much evidence that he can put a side together, or manage his players for a sustained period of time.

He looked sick as fuck last night.

P   W D L   F   A   GD Pt

13 Sunderland 22 6 5 11 30 40 -10 23

15 Sunderland 22 6 5 11 23 32 -9 23

This year then last year. The only thing they've got going for them is the league seems to be a bit poorer so they're two places higher. Would love to watch the fire sale if they went down.

P   W D L   F   A   GD Pt

13 Sunderland 22 6 5 11 30 40 -10 23

15 Sunderland 22 6 5 11 23 32 -9 23

This year then last year. The only thing they've got going for them is the league seems to be a bit poorer so they're two places higher. Would love to watch the fire sale if they went down.

I know people keep saying it, but an injury to Darren Bent would be perfect.

I know people keep saying it, but an injury to Darren Bent would be perfect.

That or someone like Liverpool robbing him off them.

Certainly at the wrong end of the form table, like

18 - Hull (3 points from 6 games)

19 - Mackems (2 points from 6 games)

20 - Burnley (2 points from 6 games)

Two of the teams below them in Bolton and West Ham have had morale boosting changes recently as well, could start looking rather ominous.

He's spent a boatload to get the same results which is pretty dire tbh.

Problem with Sunderland is that there is no glamour playing for them. Unless you are a product of their youth academy, or a total one off like Quinn then you really only see them as a stepping stone and hope to get out of there ASAP. Half their players live in our city, shop, eat and go out on our doorstep, so really the only thing that actually gets them players to start off with is being so close to us as the likes of Bent simply wouldn't have come up here if he couldn't live in Newcastle.

We of course have had similar problems over the years and why we've thrown mental money at average players, but our draw is miles ahead of them when were in the same division. Same goes for Boro, and why they've relied on youth for so long, unfortunately the youth wasn't quite good enough and the big money signings didn't complement the team.

As for Bruce he's spent quite a bit, well over the odds on average players and is paying them a fortune. Bent the only decent big money signing so far, and like people say, one injury away from seeing Sunderland sucked right in to a relegation battle. I still think their good start will save them, pretty much like Hull last year, but its nice to think if we do get out of this division they won't be that far ahead, and a couple of well thought out signings could see us on par pretty much from the off. This season was vital for them to get ahead as much as they can, they've not taken that chance so far, though anything can happen.