Jose Enrique out for at least three weeks with hamstring injury

Guest BooBoo

If we were uncomfortable about playing Kadar at CB in a league game would it be an acceptable option to use Jose in the middle? He's not the best in the air, but he's f***ing strong, pretty big and quick. He also reads the game well. Kadar would be less exposed at full back, and it might be a better way to introduce him.

Aces in their places, Enrique is a quality left back and that's where he should stay. Wouldn't even want to consider unsettlin the lad further by putting him somewhere he's not comfortable with or where he's not going to show his best ability (for potential buyers)

If we were uncomfortable about playing Kadar at CB in a league game would it be an acceptable option to use Jose in the middle? He's not the best in the air, but he's f***ing strong, pretty big and quick. He also reads the game well. Kadar would be less exposed at full back, and it might be a better way to introduce him.

Aces in their places, Enrique is a quality left back and that's where he should stay. Wouldn't even want to consider unsettlin the lad further by putting him somewhere he's not comfortable with or where he's not going to show his best ability (for potential buyers)

I agree generally, but it might be beneficial to the team in the long run. It's a massive jump to go into a first team at centre back aged only 19.

If we were uncomfortable about playing Kadar at CB in a league game would it be an acceptable option to use Jose in the middle? He's not the best in the air, but he's fucking strong, pretty big and quick. He also reads the game well. Kadar would be less exposed at full back, and it might be a better way to introduce him.

The same thought crossed my mind whether he could be used as an emergency CB, you would have thought he'd have the attribtes ahead of Danny Simpson. I suppose the question mark would be in the air. For all Simpson is small, he's got a good leap and he's game.

Enrique is our best player by a country mile imo. Has all the attributes to take Capdevila's place in the international side. Yes, his crossing is woeful, but he is 23. Isn't even near his peak yet.

WTF... he probably started playing football at 7 or 8 years old so he's had 15 years at it. What makes you think he can learn to cross a ball after the age of 23 ? Everyone has strengths and weaknesses, and I don't expect much if any improvement. Beckham did alright and he couldn't tackle, head a ball or dribble it round a corner flag never mind an opposing player.

You think a player reaches his peak at 23? After about 2 years of playing first team football?

Errr.. this is Newcastle. I can't think of any player that has improved by being here. Yes, they've got more experience, but better players ?  We're renowned for ending careers. Surely if they were better players we'd get more money ( in real terms) than we paid for them, or relative to their peers in the transfer market.

I don't hear of  Enrique spending hours after training working on his crossing . Of course he'll be a better player in a few years, but  I bet his crossing is still shit.

I don't recall Miloners crossing being any better after his time here.

Enrique is our best player by a country mile imo. Has all the attributes to take Capdevila's place in the international side. Yes, his crossing is woeful, but he is 23. Isn't even near his peak yet.

WTF... he probably started playing football at 7 or 8 years old so he's had 15 years at it. What makes you think he can learn to cross a ball after the age of 23 ? Everyone has strengths and weaknesses, and I don't expect much if any improvement. Beckham did alright and he couldn't tackle, head a ball or dribble it round a corner flag never mind an opposing player.

You think a player reaches his peak at 23? After about 2 years of playing first team football?

Errr.. this is Newcastle. I can't think of any player that has improved by being here. Yes, they've got more experience, but better players ?  We're renowned for ending careers. Surely if they were better players we'd get more money ( in real terms) than we paid for them, or relative to their peers in the transfer market.

I don't hear of  Enrique spending hours after training working on his crossing . Of course he'll be a better player in a few years, but  I bet his crossing is still shit.

I don't recall Miloners crossing being any better after his time here.

I think Enrique's main quality is actually being a very good defender. The Leceicester winger N'Guiessen was a handful, but Enrique pretty much tamed him as the game went on. Also, while his crossing is hit and miss, his general work down the left flank is pretty much our main source of getting the ball into the opposition half. We don't usually have anybody on the other side providing much by comparison.

I find it quite interesting that people are criticising Enrique's crossing, as I've always thought that some of his crosses are pretty lethal, and mostly of a decent standard. His passing and crossing was poor against Leicester mind.

I find it quite interesting that people are criticising Enrique's crossing, as I've always thought that some of his crosses are pretty lethal, and mostly of a decent standard. His passing and crossing was poor against Leicester mind.

Agreed, I think Jose is a huge threat getting forward, he is certainly better at crossing the ball than Jonas.

Guest optimistic nit

his crossing is a bit hit and miss (big miss) but we've scored from more than one of his crosses while he's been there, if he gets his pass right it results in a goal or clear cut oppertunity a significant percent of the time.

Don't know why people are talking about him moving to the centre. There are plenty of centre backs around and plenty of people who can play right back- but left back is a different ball game.  We, of all people should recognise that, we haven't had a proper left back for about 5 years and until Fat Sam bought Enrique no one addressed that problem (ok he didn't play the guy but at least he recognised the problem). Anyone remember people like Huntington, Ramage even Carr trying to do the left back job and getting raped?

Don't know why people are talking about him moving to the centre. There are plenty of centre backs around and plenty of people who can play right back- but left back is a different ball game.  We, of all people should recognise that, we haven't had a proper left back for about 5 years and until Fat Sam bought Enrique no one addressed that problem (ok he didn't play the guy but at least he recognised the problem). Anyone remember people like Huntington, Ramage even Carr trying to do the left back job and getting raped?

It's because we only have two centre backs. I wouldn't want Enrique there in the long run, he's a very good full back, but it potentially could be beneficial for the team to have him in the middle with Kadar being blooded less in the firing line on the left. Might not work but it's worth considering.

Guest firetotheworks

Personally, and yes I know I have him as my avatar, but I think his crossing when deep is pretty hit and miss, but when he's a bit further forward its usually mint. He has a knack of putting it into that area between the defenders and the keeper. He did it fairly regularly last season when he got the chance to get forward.

No exaggeration... that ball he whipped in for Shola's first against Reading was the best cross i've seen from one of our players in a long time. It was literally perfect. The fact that Shola's header was absolutely gash, and still went in, proved what a brilliant cross it was. I'm thinking maybe Milner against Palermo (Luque header), or possibly Nobby at home to Reading in the same season (Sibi header), are the only rivals to that cross in recent years.

Taylor's later in the game was pretty damn good n'all mind.

Geremi put some pearlers onto Owen's forehead under Keegan.

Aye fair point there. Owen's goal vs Sunderland was probably the pick of them. But that goal was probably better for the movement of the striker... i'd still put Enrique's ahead of that one.

Both brilliant crosses mind.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Aye fair point there. Owen's goal vs Sunderland was probably the pick of them. But that goal was probably better for the movement of the striker... i'd still put Enrique's ahead of that one.

Every point you make has gaping holes of logic. Better for the movement of the striker? Then you have to spot the run and place it ahead of the player, which is harder than just plonking a cross on someone's head in a shit division with shit players.

'The fact that Shola's header was absolutely gash, and still went in, proved what a brilliant cross it was.'

That is absolute nonsense. You're going out of your way to heap praise on a player who is a good player for us, but then you will rant on incessantly like an inconceivable cretin about Parker's limitations, a player who had a harder role in a harder division in the midst of our club being ripped apart by various off the field and managerial problems.

That is absolute nonsense. You're going out of your way to heap praise on a player who is a good player for us, but then you will rant on incessantly like an inconceivable cretin about Parker's limitations, a player who had a harder role in a harder division in the midst of our club being ripped apart by various off the field and managerial problems.

The problems in Parker's time were miniscule compared to last year when Enrique and Bassong looked our best players.

t

Agreed, I think Jose is a huge threat getting forward, he is certainly better at crossing the ball than Jonas.

to be fair though Heather Mills could cross a ball better than Jonas!

I think the key point that comes across from that interview is that him, Coloccini and Jonas obviously have a lot in common and it makes for a happier and more settled trio if they are all still here. All of them are pretty crucial this season in such a small squad.

I think the key point that comes across from that interview is that him, Coloccini and Jonas obviously have a lot in common and it makes for a happier and more settled trio if they are all still here. All of them are pretty crucial this season in such a small squad.

I'm amazed, and delighted, that we managed to hold onto all three. Like you say, they all seem to get on and Enrique & Jonas combine really well down the left.