Avram Grant vs Joe Kinnear

Guest sicko2ndbest

From the day Grant got the job onwards, he accumulated more points than a Man U team many rank as the best they've seen in world football for years.

Hell of an achievment tbh

If Grant is the bees knees, dog's bollocks, your chocolate lollipop, the gold pot at the end of the rainbow, and Jah's gift to football management, how comes he's out of a fucking job then?

The Chelsea squad were behind their own near-success. They got to where they did despite of Grant, and not because of him.

From the day Grant got the job onwards, he accumulated more points than a Man U team many rank as the best they've seen in world football for years.

If Grant is the bees knees, dog's bollocks, your chocolate lollipop, the gold pot at the end of the rainbow, and Jah's gift to football management, how comes he's out of a f***ing job then?

The Chelsea squad were behind their own near-success. They got to where they did despite of Grant, and not because of him.

Did I say any of the above?

I said he'd be a great option, considering we have nobody at the club capable of managing a premiership club, and he clearly is

I cant believe people would rather have Kinnear. Exactly what are you basing that on?

His record with Wimbledon, not the best squad and shoe string budgets compared to Grant's one year at Chelsea with a gazillion in his budget and a squad full of already made stars. Neither is good enough for us though, but Kinnear is the lesser of the two evils.

Not to mention I've made a fairly long post going on about what I base it on just two posts above yours  :pow:

f***ing hell, Im not the biggest fan of Grant myself but Im really struggling to see where your coming from. Grant is worthy of an appointment on the basis of alone that he's not Kinnear, its difficult to say he did a brilliant job at Chelsea, Id like to see how kinnear would do at Chelsea in the exact same circumstances, my guess is that CL final, PL runner up and Carling Cup runners up would be nothing but a pipe dream in Jose's little potato head.

You can't compare it that way though, as our situation at the time Keegan left didn't call out for someone who had managed a major club, it called out for someone to come in and stabilize the ship. And when nobody else came in, we got Kinnear. And he was probably quite a long way down on Ashley's "to-call list". On the other hand, he has experience from handling a situation similar to our current financial predicament, and has done well in the past with a s*** side by hammering into their heads a "us against the world" mentality, just what we appeared to be needed, and still seem to need at the moment. Having appointed Avram Grant at the same time would perhaps have been a better choice of manager on paper, but he has never been used to a shoe-string budget, nor a relegation fight or to attempt keeping morale up in a club the entire world seemed to think would blow up due to all the turmoil. He has a name, that's it. We don't know his ability with a club that's not filthy rich and already have a successful squad. I'd not have been willing to take such a chance on a manager just because of his name, hence why I think Kinnear under our current circumstances is the better option of the two. And will remain the better option until we have a bottomless transfer kitty or an already successful squad. Though then again, we'd not be looking at Grant as he'd not be good enough anyways. Kinnear is a manager for teams that have an uphill struggle. Grant is a manager for teams that don't have any struggle because the players are good enough to work without a manager.

I'm amazed people even need to think about who'd they'd rather have of Kinnear and Grant. Just because Kinnear hasn't done all too well with us, does not mean Grant would have done better. I'd gladly put all my money on the contrary.

I still think neither are good enough for us though, as I've said before. I just think Kinnear is the obvious lesser evil here.

its never been a question which of the 2 i prefer! I dont want any of them.....dont believe they can offer what we need! definitely not kinnear...he cant develop  the concept i would like us to have...and Grant i dont see as the man to turn everything around here!

If Grant is the bees knees, dog's bollocks, your chocolate lollipop, the gold pot at the end of the rainbow, and Jah's gift to football management, how comes he's out of a f***ing job then?

I said he'd be a great option, considering we have nobody at the club capable of managing a premiership club, and he clearly is

you said above that both of sicko's points were pure speculation, i think this is tbh...again, won nothing with one of the most expensively assembled squads in football history, i'd have fancied my chances as well having been there prior ro JM leaving and knowing the setup etc...

clearly is? no dude. that's exactly my point. half a season with Chelsea, the reigning champions, is not clear enough indication that he can do it in the long term. remember Roeder had done great as caretaker, and we all know what happened the following season. who is to say Grant wouldn't have gone the same way in his 2nd season?

the fact that he remains unemployed despite the ridiculous claims that his achievement with Chelsea was "fantastic", tells you everything you need to know about what the footballing world thinks of him as a top club manager. a nothing, meh manager.

Anyone who would rather have Kinnear than Grant needs their head read. 

I had mine read last Tuesday. What's your point?

Grant is a better manager than Kinnear - is that clear enough.

Oh I do not disagree, and if you read the thread, you will know that isnt what I'm saying. I just think that despite Grant probably being the superior manager of the two, he's a lifeless no mark jobs for the boys manager all the same, and they are BOTH not what I would want at this club.

Just because Skoda is better than the Lada I currently own doesn't mean I would jump at the chance to get one. I'd rather get a Ford at the right time, and avoid both of them.

Grant is a better manager than Kinnear - is that clear enough.

Oh I do not disagree, and if you read the thread, you will know that isnt what I'm saying. I just think that despite Grant probably being the superior manager of the two, he's a lifeless no mark jobs for the boys manager all the same, and they are BOTH not what I would want at this club.

Just because Skoda is better than the Lada I currently own doesn't mean I would jump at the chance to get one. I'd rather get a Ford at the right time, and avoid both of them.

Actually, I agree with that, fair point.

I thought phrenology had been thouroughly debunked.

apparently not :(

i had my polarity reversed as well.

Before Tuesday I looked like this  :cheesy:

Since Tuesday I've looked like this  :kinnear:

can't knock him in the transfer market either (not that it matters at this time)

Both Ivanovic and Anelka have turned out to be decent enough buys.

At a combined £25m.

Spot the problem.

Point well made.

can't knock him in the transfer market either (not that it matters at this time)

Both Ivanovic and Anelka have turned out to be decent enough buys.

At a combined £25m.

Spot the problem.

Ivanovic!!! You having a laugh.

Point well made.

I can't see any reason to get enthusiastic about Avram Grant. He's hardly set the world on fire.

For me, the key questions with Kinnear are 1) does he have the respect of the players and 2) can he work well with the Board. If the answers to both are yes, then I'd give him the chance. He's done the hard work of getting to know the players and the club, so why start again with some other manager who has to start from scratch.

Given the situation we were in when he took over, we can't expect him to have done any more this season than keep the ship afloat. Next season will be a truer test.

Guest firetotheworks

clearly is? no dude. that's exactly my point. half a season with Chelsea, the reigning champions, is not clear enough indication that he can do it in the long term. remember Roeder had done great as caretaker, and we all know what happened the following season. who is to say Grant wouldn't have gone the same way in his 2nd season?

the fact that he remains unemployed despite the ridiculous claims that his achievement with Chelsea was "fantastic", tells you everything you need to know about what the footballing world thinks of him as a top club manager. a nothing, meh manager.

Again, incorrect. Grant took over on September the 20th, hardly half a season. And they werent reigning champions, they only won the Carling Cup the previous season. Finally, if your point about the footballing world is in fact true, then what does the footballing world think of Kinnear?

Again, incorrect. Grant took over on September the 20th, hardly half a season. And they werent reigning champions, they only won the Carling Cup the previous season. Finally, if your point about the footballing world is in fact true, then what does the footballing world think of Kinnear?

Again, I repeat. I am not saying Kinnear is a better manager. I'm just saying that if the time came to replace him, Grant would blatantly be the wrong choice. Two wrongs don't make a right. Look back at my Lada/Skoda analogy. There is absolutely nothing special about Avraam Grant. To move forward as a club we need to appoint an exceptionally talented if a little inexperienced manager, IF that's the best we could hope for. Naturally we would all prefer managers of the caliber of Hiddink, but we need to rebuild ourselves to get to the level of ambition + performance that would land us a manager like him.

Apologies if I got that piece of info wrong regarding Chelsea being reigning champions. I forget that Grant was in charge as recently as last season. That's the impression (or lack thereof) he's made on me personally.

I'm not convinced by Grant at all but for anyone advocating Kinnear over him:

:lol:

Put it this way, I'd rather stick with Kinnear for the time being than bring in Grant, give him 6 months to get to know the place and the squad before getting fired for it all going tits up. Which it would.

If we gave him a two-year contract and he kept us up, he'd have done an alright job for me - and i think that's more than within his capabilities. :thup:

Give Kinnear a two/three year contract (and let him see it out) and we'll go down.

Grant wouldn't be my first choice, but if the likes of Bruce or Shearer turn us down i'd be content.