Given, Beye, Coloccini, Bassong, Enrique...

Dave

Guest optimistic nit

even with woodgate though, we still had players like griffin and obrien playing along side him (and hughes although i quite liked him tbh). he was a brilliant defender, but i feel much more confident about our defence now. as a unit imo its better, whereas in woodgates day it was given and woodgate playing like god's every week and we'd still more than likely concede 1 or 2.

The thing about Woodgate was that he seemed to bring out the best in players who played with him because he could make up for the others mistakes and they seemed more confident, even O'Brien looked good when in the same team as Woodgate.

I think Coloccini has done the same job as Woodgate this season and others have responded, next year should be even better once he's had a season to gain more experience in this league.

They have done well, but they can only get better.

:lol: please dont tempt fate like that.

NEWCASTLE United’s back four have been transformed recently from figures of fun to one of the Premier League’s meanest units but the chief beneficiary, Shay Given, has been at pains to stress the contribution of those in front of them.

The Magpies entertain Tottenham Hotspur tomorrow looking for a fourth clean sheet in five matches. It is form largely unheard of in recent years when United have eschewed caution in favour of a more attacking approach.

Last week’s 3-0 win at Portsmouth was a perfect example of how the whole team is contributing to the new-found solidity. Nicky Butt and Danny Guthrie provided a hard centre, widemen Jonás Gutiérrez and Charles N’Zogbia tucked in to support them and Michael Owen regularly dropped into midfield.

“I can’t remember the last time we kept three clean sheets in three away games,” said Given. “It certainly hasn’t happened very often in my time at the club, but it’s a good record to have.

“It’s a credit to the team. We’re working really hard when we lose the ball, and we’re keeping a really good defensive shape. The defenders will get a lot of the plaudits, and rightly so, but the boys in midfield are giving them a really good hand and even the front two are helping to defend as well.

“It’s a whole team effort and it’s fantastic. The more clean sheets you keep, the better chance you have of winning games.

“If you can have a settled team and a settled back four, it does help everyone. You know each other better and you can build up an understanding. I don’t think it’s any coincidence that for the last three clean sheets we’ve kept, we’ve had the same back four.”

The last time United kept three consecutive clean sheets was either side of the 2006 close season. Those shut-outs came against relegation-bound Birmingham City and European minnows Lillestrøm and Ventspils. Not since the end of the 1996-97 campaign, shortly before Given’s arrival, have they kept their opponents goalless in three straight games in the same season.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/12/20/given-balance-is-right-at-the-back-61634-22517045/

I like Taylor he's much better than some on here make out. He'd have a lot of takers with other Premiership clubs, but i'm glad he's at ours he's Toon through and through which is a bonus. Yes he needs to cut out the mistakes and i don't mind sticking my neck out and saying i think he will and prove a few on here wrong.

Saying that he'll have to wait for his opportunity because the current back 5 are undroppable at the moment.

I like Taylor he's much better than some on here make out. He'd have a lot of takers with other Premiership clubs, but i'm glad he's at ours he's Toon through and through which is a bonus. Yes he needs to cut out the mistakes and i don't mind sticking my neck out and saying i think he will and prove a few on here wrong.

Saying that he'll have to wait for his opportunity because the current back 5 are undroppable at the moment.

good post

He hasn't improved for a while though, and there's a point at which his age can no longer be the excuse for his often unintelligent and brash defending.

Guest Heneage

Taylor is a good centre back but at the minute he's second choice, this sort of test/challenge is what he needed he seems to have slightly slipped due to the fact he was the clubs best centre back last year, hopefully he will rise to it and improve.

Taylor is a good centre back but at the minute he's second choice, this sort of test/challenge is what he needed he seems to have slightly slipped due to the fact he was the clubs best centre back last year, hopefully he will rise to it and improve.

Faye was the clubs best centre back last year.

Good point, people seem to forget just how young Taylor is, i think he'll be class, hopefully now he'll work harder to get his place back in the first team.

It's almost certain that Taylor has been a bit iffy in the last 2 seasons due to the fact he was either first or second choice, and therefore guaranteed a place in the first 11. Competition will improve him, without a doubt.

Guest optimistic nit

Good point, people seem to forget just how young Taylor is, i think he'll be class, hopefully now he'll work harder to get his place back in the first team.

he's older than bassong.

you can use age, settling in, learning the language etc... as an excuse up to a point, but you cant use it indefinately.

taylor has some good aspects as a defender, but he has some real weaknesses in his game that were present during his debut and are still present now. its not impossible that he turns out to be a good defender, he does have ability, but at the moment he is a bottom 3 premiership/top6 championship defender in my opinion. if he doesn't improve he'll stay that way and i've seen little from him so far to suggest he's capable of changing. bramble could have been a really good defender if he'd manage to improve on his attributes at 19 into his mid twenties but he didn't. taylor is the same.

The thing about Taylor is, he will be a good solid defender for us when he is trying to get into the starting 11, once he does and is settled in there then its the same mistakes and bad performances we have seen time and time again. For that reason, id keep him trying to get in, keep Beye, Coloccini, Bassong and Enrique

Guest Heneage

he's older than bassong.

you can use age, settling in, learning the language etc... as an excuse up to a point, but you cant use it indefinately.

taylor has some good aspects as a defender, but he has some real weaknesses in his game that were present during his debut and are still present now. its not impossible that he turns out to be a good defender, he does have ability, but at the moment he is a bottom 3 premiership/top6 championship defender in my opinion. if he doesn't improve he'll stay that way and i've seen little from him so far to suggest he's capable of changing. bramble could have been a really good defender if he'd manage to improve on his attributes at 19 into his mid twenties but he didn't. taylor is the same.

His age was no concern for me he could be 28 for all it matters, but while he's been n the team he's had no competition so has slumped it happens to some familiarity breeds contempt as they say. In theory this will make or break Steven Taylor at Newcastle.

a good centre back who's been at fault for no less than 7 goals this season? madness. He's absolutely diabolical and it's funny how people forget it the second he's benched for a few games

a good centre back who's been at fault for no less than 7 goals this season? madness. He's absolutely diabolical and it's funny how people forget it the second he's benched for a few games

Every time you post in this thread you mention Taylor. :lol:

You need to just shag him & get it over with tbh.

he's older than bassong.

His age was no concern for me he could be 28 for all it matters, but while he's been n the team he's had no competition so has slumped it happens to some familiarity breeds contempt as they say. In theory this will make or break Steven Taylor at Newcastle.

no competition, are you pissed tonight or what mate?

Souness - Bramble and Boumsong first choice

Roeder - Bramble and Moore then Bramble and Onyewu first choice till last month of the season

Allardyce - Faye and Cacapa first choice

Keegan - first choice

Kinnear - now Bassong and Coloccini first choice

since SBR left and Taylor established himself as a first team player, only one of 5 managers has had him as first choice despite the generally woeful options for central defence. He's had s**** competition and still failed to rise to the required level. And still people see him as a good defender  :nope:

the thread is about Taylor  :lol:

Guest palnese

he's older than bassong.

Roeder - Bramble and Moore then Bramble and Onyewu first choice till last month of the season

Keegan - first choice

since SBR left and Taylor established himself as a first team player, only one of 5 managers has had him as first choice despite the generally woeful options for central defence. He's had s**** competition and still failed to rise to the required level. And still people see him as a good defender  :nope:

bollocks, and you know it tbf

he's older than bassong.

Keegan - first choice

Taylor played more games than anyone else in Roeders full season IIRC, but don't let facts stop you talking shite :thup:

the thread is about Taylor  :lol:

You need to re-read the title :thup:

well no, i dont. Taylor's had (going by most opinions) shite competition in the last 4 years yet has only briefly been first choice CB, it's laughable how he's still here.

it's a fact to be honest. The only thing you can argue is the ability of his competition. Or do you consider Moore and Onyewu to be good defenders?

Guest palnese

well no, i dont. Taylor's had (going by most opinions) s**** competition in the last 4 years yet has only briefly been first choice CB, it's laughable how he's still here.

it's a fact to be honest. The only thing you can argue is the ability of his competition. Or do you consider Moore and Onyewu to be good defenders?

fuck me.. u21 captain for englands ffs. youre too harsh imo

he's older than bassong.

Keegan - first choice

Taylor played more games than anyone else in Roeders full season IIRC, but don't let facts stop you talking s**** :thup:

Taylor was constantly bypassed by Roeder for the CB slots. When fit, Moore and Bramble played ahead of him and when Onyewu arrived he and Bramble played together until Alkmaar (Onyewu was cup tied for the Uefa cup also)

please, feel free to argue these facts.

well no, i dont. Taylor's had (going by most opinions) s**** competition in the last 4 years yet has only briefly been first choice CB, it's laughable how he's still here.

f*** me.. u21 captain for englands ffs. youre too harsh imo

There's an arguement involving James Milner somewhere in there