Given, Beye, Coloccini, Bassong, Enrique...

Dave

Guest Howaythetoon

I take everything back, that back 5 have to stay that way although I'd be looking at replacing the two full-backs long-term and adding a centre-back for the squad.

Guest Howaythetoon

Enrique is f***ing class, kept Lennon in his pocket today, the rest were pretty good aswell.

Did he fuck, Lennon raced away from him time and time again, it was the excellent cover from N'Zogbia, Bassong and Jonas who kept Lennon in check. Twice he went past Enrique into the penalty box and sending in good crosses. Lennon impressed me today, excellent running and good decision making, although lazy in his tracking back. In Enrique's defence I think the none yellow card he received early on didn't help his game vs Lennon's.

Enrique is f***ing class, kept Lennon in his pocket today, the rest were pretty good aswell.

Did he f***, Lennon raced away from him time and time again, it was the excellent cover from N'Zogbia, Bassong and Jonas who kept Lennon in check. Twice he went past Enrique into the penalty box and sending in good crosses. Lennon impressed me today, excellent running and good decision making, although lazy in his tracking back. In Enrique's defence I think the none yellow card he received early on didn't help his game vs Lennon's.

thought Enrique got to grips with him very well after the booking

Guest firetotheworks

Did he f***, Lennon raced away from him time and time again, it was the excellent cover from N'Zogbia, Bassong and Jonas who kept Lennon in check. Twice he went past Enrique into the penalty box and sending in good crosses. Lennon impressed me today, excellent running and good decision making, although lazy in his tracking back. In Enrique's defence I think the none yellow card he received early on didn't help his game vs Lennon's.

Quote from a Spurs fan:

'I dont understand why he didnt switch lennon in that match. The left back had him in his pocket the whole game, why keep him there?'

I agree with him, I saw Lennon get past him once.

I thought that Enrique handled Lennon well. Some poor passing at times, but that will get better with time hopefully, because he has a decent left foot imo. Central midfield must be priority in january i think. And perhaps getting some cover in for Beye and Enrique..

Guest Howaythetoon

Quote from a Spurs fan:

'I dont understand why he didnt switch lennon in that match. The left back had him in his pocket the whole game, why keep him there?'

I counted 4 times, twice he went into the box and fizzed in dangerous crosses, once he won a free-kick after another of our players bumped him off the ball and another time when Lennon cut back on himself allowing Enrique to get back into position. Don't get me wrong he never tore him a new arse hole but he gave him a tough time of it and Enrique didn't have him in any pocket from where I sat. I will say this, in the latter stages of the second half Enrique was more solid and Lennon become less of a threat. I can't remember if he was switched by then or not but I did notice an improvement from Enrique before going off. I don't get all this he was superb, one of his best games etc. though.

If we don't sell any of the back four and concentrate only on adding quality to the squad I think we might have found a defence which will rank alongside any we have had in the last 15 years. There are going to be a few tricky spells because some of them are new to English football, but if we can show confidence and stick with these players they will come through.

Quote from a Spurs fan:

I counted 4 times, twice he went into the box and fizzed in dangerous crosses, once he won a free-kick after another of our players bumped him off the ball and another time when Lennon cut back on himself allowing Enrique to get back into position. Don't get me wrong he never tore him a new arse hole but he gave him a tough time of it and Enrique didn't have him in any pocket from where I sat. I will say this, in the latter stages of the second half Enrique was more solid and Lennon become less of a threat. I can't remember if he was switched by then or not but I did notice an improvement from Enrique before going off. I don't get all this he was superb, one of his best games etc. though.

that was exactly my take on lennon vs enrique, 100% bang on...if lennon had produced anything one he DID beat him them people would be slating enrique imo

Anyone know when was the last time we kept 3 clean sheets in a row away from home?

Back end of the 96-97 season.

of course, the run that started with the 1-0 win at Highbury thanks to a Robbie Elliott header  :lol:

Quote from a Spurs fan:

Agreed. Was only Lennons poor final ball that let him down. Enrique struggled at times but so will most full backs as Lennon is fast as fuck. Thought Enrique did very well in not getting himself sent off though.

Lennon was too fast for him, that simple. Wasn't one of his better days but he was consistent at least...

Do think we could do with a good left back for cover and also for competition.

Bullard had another great game, Cheap at around 6 million...just what we need?

Fan 1 "Enrique was brilliant and had Lennon in his pocket all day"

Fan 2 "Enrique is a waster and was skinned countless times by Lennon"

Personally, i think he had a decent game. He was beaten by Lennon on a couple of occasions but mostly gave him very little down that side. Although, i'm not a drama queen.

JFK need to be praised for his work here, I read him somewhere saying that he works on defence 4 days a week because that can be coached, he went on to say about scoring goals you either can or you cant. All of that is IIRC!!!

“When I came, the defenders were lacking in confidence and direction,” said Kinnear. “They probably didn’t work as hard as I do at coaching on defensive situations.

“We normally have four days a week working on the defence because I believe it’s the most important part of football. It’s always difficult to teach strikers to score goals – they either have it or they haven’t – whereas defensively you can work on things and improve as a unit day in, day out.”

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/3977380.Kinnear_makes_his_case_for_Magpies____resilient_defence/

Lennon put in 3 dangerous balls i reckon, once when he cut in and played Huddlestone through. That wasn't Rickys fault because on the Butt/Guthrie should have come across to help him out. I thought he did pretty wll against Lennon. Lennon's accelaration is incredible but after 10 yards Ricky's closing in on him or at least keeping pace.  I reckon if Lennon would've switched to the left Beye would have had a harder time.

Didn't understand why Butt/Guthrie didn't double up, Lennon was their most dangerous player. When Zoggy had the ball Spurs doubled up on him often.

When a player is as quick as Lennon you're always going to lose him now and again.

Enrique did well, the booking was harsh imo, so he couldn't dive in later on as he would of been off. Lennon got past him 3 or 4 times, now obviously you don't want them getting past at all, but I don't even think the likes of Evra/cole will stop the wide man every single time.