Given, Beye, Coloccini, Bassong, Enrique...

Dave

Guest JamesyJazz

Keep.

Enrique is a decent efficient old style full back,ok his passing is a tad susspect but that can be worked on.He's a stopper and a decent dead ball taker from what I've heard.

Taylor,heart in the right place,still has those Bramblesque moments.Then again with a more robust midfield would the defence be under as much pressure?

I've stated before that if Colcocini was playin for Manure or another top 3 club that the fickle media scum would be masturbating over his every move.Jeeeeez the guy is sheer class,the best since we had a fitish young Woodgate ffs.Credit where credit is due ok.

I didn't think Coloccini played that well today, he was hesitatnt a lot of times and got away with a few bad attempts at tackles when their attackers got past him. bassong was really good, covered for the other players and was solid all the time, really liked him, looks very fast aswell!!

I would keep this back line until they do something wrong, that's the way it should be...

absolutely, Bassong and Enrique must remain in the 1st eleven after this performance..

I'm no fan of Taylor, but I consider him better than Bassong and Cacapa and I think he needs a couple of games on the subs' bench, just to remind him that he ain't Maldini.. yet.

Guest Howaythetoon

This is the same defence that couldn't defend for their lives against Wigan, no?

Anyway I'd play:

Taylor Colo Beye Bassong

Taylor is better going forward than Bye where as Bassong is stronger down the left than Enrique. That back four has height, pace and strength and in Colo and Beye leadership.

Having said all that it doesn't really matter who plays there we'll still concede goals unless our tactics change and we somehow find a good balance in midfield which is the weakest area of our team by far.

absolutely, Bassong and Enrique must remain in the 1st eleven after this performance..

I'm no fan of Taylor, but I consider him better than Bassong and Cacapa and I think he needs a couple of games on the subs' bench, just to remind him that he ain't Maldini.. yet.

how can people say Taylor is better than Bassong? He's had 3 games at CB now and done absolutely nowt wrong. He's younger than Taylor and looks so much more disciplined and capable

This is the same defence that couldn't defend for their lives against Wigan, no?

Anyway I'd play:

Taylor Colo Beye Bassong

Taylor is better going forward than Bye where as Bassong is stronger down the left than Enrique. That back four has height, pace and strength and in Colo and Beye leadership.

Having said all that it doesn't really matter who plays there we'll still concede goals unless our tactics change and we somehow find a good balance in midfield which is the weakest area of our team by far.

Yet another person missing my point. They've shown yesterday that they CAN perform, and against a team bang in form. I don't see why we should be chopping and changing it every week. Stick with them and let them develop an understanding.

If Bassong had a mare at LB then would you want him out of the team again? Ad infinitum.

We ought to pick our best back four - with everyone in their natural positions - and stick with it IMO.

Guest Howaythetoon

Anyway I'd play:

Taylor Colo Beye Bassong

Yet another person missing my point. They've shown yesterday that they CAN perform, and against a team bang in form. I don't see why we should be chopping and changing it every week. Stick with them and let them develop an understanding.

If Bassong had a mare at LB then would you want him out of the team again? Ad infinitum.

We ought to pick our best back four - with everyone in their natural positions - and stick with it IMO.

I agree 100% that the back four should be the same week in week out, I just don't think Enrique at LB and Beye at RB in particular give us great attacking options which for my money is the best way to defend, i.e. from the front. The Chelsea match saw 10-11 men behind the ball whenever they were on it so not surprisingly the defence did well - all that cover and protection would help any under fire defence. We shouldn't use that one match in any way to justify the current back-four though as they were shite against Wigan, especially at RB and LB. Hence my choice of Taylor at RB and Bassong at LB who hase the athleticism and pace to get forward from there while also being a competent defender. Enrique rarely passes the half-way line and that doesn't helpe neither the defence or the attack. On the other flank I think Beye is an excellent defender but going forward isn't the best. He isn't aggressive enough whereas Taylor is. Furthermore from yesterday's evidence a lot of Beye's best work came in the centre of defence covering for Colo or Bassong, he's a cool head in there and reads play well. I'd play him there alongside Colo.

If Taylor walks straight back in then Kinnear is a c**t, fact.

I concur. Back four were excellent yesterday, Coloccini was world class and Bassong was excellent. As someone said Enrique was cracking defensively but distribution continued to be poor and Beye was Beye. We looked very solid, Chelsea struggled to break us down.

Guest Howaythetoon

I concur. Back four were excellent yesterday, Coloccini was world class and Bassong was excellent. As someone said Enrique was cracking defensively but distribution continued to be poor and Beye was Beye. We looked very solid, Chelsea struggled to break us down.

One game!

That same back-four were awful at home to Wigan and do not fill me with any confidence that such performances can be repeated on a consistent basis, mainly due to the tactics, selection and more significantly the midfield admittedly than the defence itself.

By the same token surely the starting 11 who performed so well, should be kept for the next match? Ye I bet if I started a thread in the same vein as this one many would have Duff and Butt in particular nowhere near the bench never mind the starting 11.

One game!

That same back-four were awful at home to Wigan and do not fill me with any confidence that such performances can be repeated on a consistent basis, mainly due to the tactics, selection and more significantly the midfield admittedly than the defence itself.

They weren't though were they? Not defensively at least.

Guest Howaythetoon

One game!

I thought they were. Colo had a mare against Wigan as did Enrique. Beye wasn't his best and Bassong looked shakey although of the 4 he played the best I thought. Shay was also poor that game too. This is my main point however, they were not helped by that god damn awful lineup in midfield that fucks up both ends of the pitch for us and is the one area that needs completely rewritten and changed and sooner rather than later because no matter who plays in defence we'll still leak goals.

Anyway I'd play:

Taylor Colo Beye Bassong

I agree 100% that the back four should be the same week in week out, I just don't think Enrique at LB and Beye at RB in particular give us great attacking options which for my money is the best way to defend, i.e. from the front. The Chelsea match saw 10-11 men behind the ball whenever they were on it so not surprisingly the defence did well - all that cover and protection would help any under fire defence. We shouldn't use that one match in any way to justify the current back-four though as they were shite against Wigan, especially at RB and LB. Hence my choice of Taylor at RB and Bassong at LB who hase the athleticism and pace to get forward from there while also being a competent defender. Enrique rarely passes the half-way line and that doesn't helpe neither the defence or the attack. On the other flank I think Beye is an excellent defender but going forward isn't the best. He isn't aggressive enough whereas Taylor is. Furthermore from yesterday's evidence a lot of Beye's best work came in the centre of defence covering for Colo or Bassong, he's a cool head in there and reads play well. I'd play him there alongside Colo.

So you'd play 3 players out of position, basically? Fantastic.

Guest CaPiTaL cHaP

One game!

I thought they were. Colo had a mare against Wigan as did Enrique. Beye wasn't his best and Bassong looked shakey although of the 4 he played the best I thought. Shay was also poor that game too. This is my main point however, they were not helped by that god damn awful lineup in midfield that f***s up both ends of the pitch for us and is the one area that needs completely rewritten and changed and sooner rather than later because no matter who plays in defence we'll still leak goals.

Don't really get your logic tbh. Beye lacks the power to play in the centre and Taylor lacks the ability on the ball to play RB. I do agree that neither of our FB's are great on the ball but they can both defend, start from there i reckon.

Enrique is the kind of player that needs to be developed, no one should expect him to be really good for another 2/3 years. He's the kind of player smaller clubs buy, develop and then sell on and posters on here would be moaning that we never spot players with potential. I'd just stick with him, i think he's got enough about him to come good.

It's been a pleasant change to read positive views about our defence whatever some people on here might think. To hold out against Chelsea with almost the entire game being played in our half takes courage, organsation and no little skill. Some of the better journos lavished praise on Colo, Bassong and Beye in particular and they earned it. Let's give them some credit for a change, it's not often the defence gets much after all.

One game!

By the same token surely the starting 11 who performed so well, should be kept for the next match? Ye I bet if I started a thread in the same vein as this one many would have Duff and Butt in particular nowhere near the bench never mind the starting 11.

Didn't see the Wigan game, I can only go on what I see, and that back 5 played and defended as a unit yesterday. The second paragraph is completely irrelevant to the debate.

the problem with Taylor is that the idiots who end up picking the team will always drop an easy target like Bassong in favour of the 'local hero'

Shearer wont like, which is on the reasons i'd be happy with him getting the job next month