Given, Beye, Coloccini, Bassong, Enrique...

Dave

Guest palnese

well no, i dont. Taylor's had (going by most opinions) s**** competition in the last 4 years yet has only briefly been first choice CB, it's laughable how he's still here.

it's a fact to be honest. The only thing you can argue is the ability of his competition. Or do you consider Moore and Onyewu to be good defenders?

f*** me.. u21 captain for englands ffs. youre too harsh imo

There's an arguement involving James Milner somewhere in there

nope mate

well no, i dont. Taylor's had (going by most opinions) shite competition in the last 4 years yet has only briefly been first choice CB, it's laughable how he's still here.

it's a fact to be honest. The only thing you can argue is the ability of his competition. Or do you consider Moore and Onyewu to be good defenders?

Explain to me again how Moore and Onyewu are relevant to the back five in the thread title :dontknow:

Guest Heneage

Taylor is a good centre back but at the minute he's second choice, this sort of test/challenge is what he needed he seems to have slightly slipped due to the fact he was the clubs best centre back last year, hopefully he will rise to it and improve.

Good point, people seem to forget just how young Taylor is, i think he'll be class, hopefully now he'll work harder to get his place back in the first team.

he's older than bassong.

you can use age, settling in, learning the language etc... as an excuse up to a point, but you cant use it indefinately.

taylor has some good aspects as a defender, but he has some real weaknesses in his game that were present during his debut and are still present now. its not impossible that he turns out to be a good defender, he does have ability, but at the moment he is a bottom 3 premiership/top6 championship defender in my opinion. if he doesn't improve he'll stay that way and i've seen little from him so far to suggest he's capable of changing. bramble could have been a really good defender if he'd manage to improve on his attributes at 19 into his mid twenties but he didn't. taylor is the same.

His age was no concern for me he could be 28 for all it matters, but while he's been n the team he's had no competition so has slumped it happens to some familiarity breeds contempt as they say. In theory this will make or break Steven Taylor at Newcastle.

no competition, are you pissed tonight or what mate?

Souness - Bramble and Boumsong first choice

Roeder - Bramble and Moore then Bramble and Onyewu first choice till last month of the season

Allardyce - Faye and Cacapa first choice

Keegan - first choice

Kinnear - now Bassong and Coloccini first choice

since SBR left and Taylor established himself as a first team player, only one of 5 managers has had him as first choice despite the generally woeful options for central defence. He's had s**** competition and still failed to rise to the required level. And still people see him as a good defender  :nope:

Sorry but I think thats bollocks mate.

Guest Jawesome

Ok then, using that reasoning about the 5 manager thing - Is Steve Harper one of the best keepers in the Premier League?  Well the last 95 Newcastle managers all seem to think so.  I fucking don't.

well no, i dont. Taylor's had (going by most opinions) s**** competition in the last 4 years yet has only briefly been first choice CB, it's laughable how he's still here.

Explain to me again how Moore and Onyewu are relevant to the back five in the thread title :dontknow:

petty as fuck, sometimes like arguing with a 16 year old. TBF I was arguing Nixon's point that he's not had adequate compeition in the past.

No more arguing about Taylor, it's a waste of time when so many blinkard fuckers still think he's a future captain.

It speaks volumes that even Kinnear, picks an unknown non-english speaking young lad with no premiership experience ahead of the local hero.

Ok then, using that reasoning about the 5 manager thing - Is Steve Harper one of the best keepers in the Premier League?  Well the last 95 Newcastle managers all seem to think so.  I fucking don't.

Eh?

Ok then, using that reasoning about the 5 manager thing - Is Steve Harper one of the best keepers in the Premier League?  Well the last 95 Newcastle managers all seem to think so.  I f***ing don't.

aye, so they said. None we're particularly keen to play him ahead of Given, even when he was out of form

Taylor is a good centre back but at the minute he's second choice, this sort of test/challenge is what he needed he seems to have slightly slipped due to the fact he was the clubs best centre back last year, hopefully he will rise to it and improve.

Good point, people seem to forget just how young Taylor is, i think he'll be class, hopefully now he'll work harder to get his place back in the first team.

he's older than bassong.

you can use age, settling in, learning the language etc... as an excuse up to a point, but you cant use it indefinately.

taylor has some good aspects as a defender, but he has some real weaknesses in his game that were present during his debut and are still present now. its not impossible that he turns out to be a good defender, he does have ability, but at the moment he is a bottom 3 premiership/top6 championship defender in my opinion. if he doesn't improve he'll stay that way and i've seen little from him so far to suggest he's capable of changing. bramble could have been a really good defender if he'd manage to improve on his attributes at 19 into his mid twenties but he didn't. taylor is the same.

His age was no concern for me he could be 28 for all it matters, but while he's been n the team he's had no competition so has slumped it happens to some familiarity breeds contempt as they say. In theory this will make or break Steven Taylor at Newcastle.

Roeder - Bramble and Moore then Bramble and Onyewu first choice till last month of the season

Keegan - first choice

since SBR left and Taylor established himself as a first team player, only one of 5 managers has had him as first choice despite the generally woeful options for central defence. He's had s**** competition and still failed to rise to the required level. And still people see him as a good defender  :nope:

Taylor played more games than anyone else in Roeders full season IIRC, but don't let facts stop you talking s**** :thup:

Taylor was constantly bypassed by Roeder for the CB slots. When fit, Moore and Bramble played ahead of him and when Onyewu arrived he and Bramble played together until Alkmaar (Onyewu was cup tied for the Uefa cup also)

please, feel free to argue these facts.

Taylor played more games in 06/7 than Bramble, Moore and Onyewu did. Your move O0

Guest Jawesome

Eh?

Jesus wept, for you simpletons...

Managers see more of the players and ultimately know how good / shit they are over any of us.

Eh?

Managers see more of the players and ultimately know how good / shit they are over any of us.

Why did you say that the Newcastle managers tended to think he was then?

And that latter comment's bollocks anyway.

Guest Jawesome

Eh?

1. Because a lot of people on here think he's fucking diabolical / wouldn't get a game for Gateshead / should die of aids etc

2. Whatever, not going to argue with you if you're going to disregard my opinion in such a way.

he's older than bassong.

Keegan - first choice

Taylor played more games than anyone else in Roeders full season IIRC, but don't let facts stop you talking s**** :thup:

Taylor was constantly bypassed by Roeder for the CB slots. When fit, Moore and Bramble played ahead of him and when Onyewu arrived he and Bramble played together until Alkmaar (Onyewu was cup tied for the Uefa cup also)

Taylor played more games in 06/7 than Bramble, Moore and Onyewu did. Your move O0

Why bother. When the others we're fit and available he didn't though, that's the main consideration. He was either benched or played at full-back.

Why you still defending him man? even the imcompetents like Allardyce and Kinnear have his number  :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

The people who think he's a good defender need to realise that this discussion wouldn't be happening with so many different users if he was a good defender. He's not. He can be very good and make some good last ditch tackles, like he did against Stoke. BUT, why was he making a last ditch tackle? Its not very often you see Colo or Bassong ever having to make those kinds of tackles, because they can read the game better than Taylor. On top of this he can be very bad, and being very bad in this league is usually punishable by conceding a goal and then the player in question conceding their place. Both of these have happened, and unless Bassong ends up making daft mistakes then Taylor cant get in the team.

he's older than bassong.

Keegan - first choice

Why bother. When the others we're fit and available he didn't though, that's the main consideration. He was either benched or played at full-back.

Why you still defending him man? even the imcompetents like Allardyce and Kinnear have his number  :lol:

I'm not defending him at all, I'm just trying to keep you right.  When those two were fit & available Taylor played ahead of them.  When Carr wasn't fit, he played at right back & one of them came in. :dontknow:

We had three clean sheets away from home in a row sooner than 96/97 - Birmingham (a) 2005/06 0-0, Lillestrom (a) 2006/07 0-3, Ventspils (a) 2006/07 0-1.

Although those were across 2 seasons. Otherwise it is correct about 96/97 being the last time.

Guest optimistic nit

Eh?

i've made a complete tit of myself and am now desperately trying to save face by acting like a complete cock.

captain subtext. ;)

Guest Jawesome

Eh?

i've made a complete tit of myself and am now desperately trying to save face by acting like a complete cock.

captain subtext. ;)

wtf :lol: