Given, Beye, Coloccini, Bassong, Enrique...

Dave

If anything, the likes of Bassong and Gutierrez proves that you don't need to just sign trophy players. Sure, one or two to go into a team might work, but there's better deals to be had when you look a bit further - your money goes much further and you get a better long term investment.

To think Boumsong cost £8m... this bloke who is much younger, not even a full international (yet) and cost less than a quarter of that (and thats not even going into his most likely lower wage packet) is far better.

It's definatley good that were now signing players and not names.

And before anyone says "we're in a relegation scrap", I'm purely talking about the performances of Bassong and Gutierrez here, it isn't really their fault we're in this predicament. If anything, they've been two of our most consistent performers. Apart from Duff, who is consistently shit.

I feel relaxed about our defence now, I haven't felt like that since Woodgate left.

Same.

People seem to forget that we've had a poor season with all the things that have gone on. Confidence isn't high and so when the players make mistakes, its affects them even more. Imagine how they'd be playing without the threat of relegation hanging over them, with a run of wins, with a larger squad - then you can see the potential.

with another 5 players in various positions in our team we'd be a lot better off for it.

Our defence is one of the positives we have I feel, its never going to be perfect (and you can't say that about any team in the league) but we're a lot better off than we've been in the past!

I feel relaxed about our defence now, I haven't felt like that since Woodgate left.

Same.

People seem to forget that we've had a poor season with all the things that have gone on. Confidence isn't high and so when the players make mistakes, its affects them even more. Imagine how they'd be playing without the threat of relegation hanging over them, with a run of wins, with a larger squad - then you can see the potential.

with another 5 players in various positions in our team we'd be a lot better off for it.

Our defence is one of the positives we have I feel, its never going to be perfect (and you can't say that about any team in the league) but we're a lot better off than we've been in the past!

All of which is what worries me about Kinnear going for Upson and a replacement for Enrique. Competition for places is all well and good, but Upson and the likes of Riise would be coming here as starters.

Why change it? :undecided:

Same.

All of which is what worries me about Kinnear going for Upson and a replacement for Enrique. Competition for places is all well and good, but Upson and the likes of Riise would be coming here as starters.

I wouldn't. But in all honesty I never want to see Taylor in the team again, especially not with Colo and Upson certainly knocks him down the pecking order.

Upson has played LB before hasn't he?

Same.

Well quite. But now Jiminez has gone and Ashley has been forced to drop that system and hand control back to the manager, then that is what we are going to get. I had more faith in the system than any manager considering our past record. If a manager had somone he specifically demanded for a role, fair enough go all out to get him, otherwise specify a position that needs strengthening and let the scouts and wise etc sort it out as that is their full time job. The blame for wasted money would fall at their door ultimately as well unless it was clear the manager was not playing players out of spite.

Same.

If we keep Owen and Martins up front and sort out our central midfield then we have a good first 11, I'm not sure Kinnear is the bloke to get the best out of our team but we'll find out if the midfield is sorted.

Guthrie and Barton? Sorted.

I don't think Barton has proven anything while he's been here, that could change if he gets a good run of games.

He'll come back from injury and straight away do something wrong and get that ban imposed. Best to get it out of the way I imagine, if we're doing better at the time.

Guthrie and Barton? Sorted.

I don't think Barton has proven anything while he's been here, that could change if he gets a good run of games.

He'll come back from injury and straight away do something wrong and get that ban imposed. Best to get it out of the way I imagine, if we're doing better at the time.

He should have started the following game with the sole intention of getting sent off. Two birds, one stone. :laugh:

Guest optimistic nit

even with woodgate though, we still had players like griffin and obrien playing along side him (and hughes although i quite liked him tbh). he was a brilliant defender, but i feel much more confident about our defence now. as a unit imo its better, whereas in woodgates day it was given and woodgate playing like god's every week and we'd still more than likely concede 1 or 2.

Guest Heneage

In the two games Joey Barton played our midfield was ten fold better both in passing and creation.

He's played more than twice, what two games are you referring to?

WBA in which he scored the penalty and Aston Villa.

even with woodgate though, we still had players like griffin and obrien playing along side him (and hughes although i quite liked him tbh). he was a brilliant defender, but i feel much more confident about our defence now. as a unit imo its better, whereas in woodgates day it was given and woodgate playing like god's every week and we'd still more than likely concede 1 or 2.

The thing about Woodgate was that he seemed to bring out the best in players who played with him because he could make up for the others mistakes and they seemed more confident, even O'Brien looked good when in the same team as Woodgate.

I think Coloccini has done the same job as Woodgate this season and others have responded, next year should be even better once he's had a season to gain more experience in this league.

WBA in which he scored the penalty and Aston Villa.

I don't think we've played any better in midfield at all this season than we did in the first half against Stoke and I think last week was also a good game for the midfield, especially the second half, I could also add Man U away.

The thing about Woodgate was that he seemed to bring out the best in players who played with him because he could make up for the others mistakes and they seemed more confident, even O'Brien looked good when in the same team as Woodgate.

I think Coloccini has done the same job as Woodgate this season and others have responded, next year should be even better once he's had a season to gain more experience in this league.

Exactly. Woodgate covered up for others mistakes which made them look less shit than they actually were. At the moment we have a back four still adapting to Premier football but defensively each one is competent on the deck and in the air. They have done well, but they can only get better. That is the good news and we need to give them the chance to develop on a very promising start.

I think that's a good point that last sentence. Would be interesting to see how good Bassong & Taylor are together, but it does remind me of Woodgate, Bramble & O'Brien all over again in that either one of the other two looked good with Woodgate, but shaky together.