Sébastien Bassong (now retired)

Crumpy Gunt

Goals were flowing past man, it is only recently him & the rest of the back four have picked up.

Goals were flowing past because Coloccini wasn't defending properly? The point is, Coloccini, even in his worse games, has been the best central defender this club has had since Albert & Howey. If not better.

Should not forget Woodgate, even though he wasnt here for too long and also got him self injured, but he for sure was one great defender!

I have not forgotten Woodgate at all. But he was here one and a half seasons, and barely played for us (28 games or so?). Coloccini is well on his way to going past that in his first season alone, and he does not look injury prone to me, having played every game for Depor last season. Fingers crossed, knock on wood and all that, long may it continue.

I agree btw on fitness terms, but on pure ability Woodgate despite hardly playing for us is more than likely the best centre half we've ever had.

woodgate was the best centre half i've seen play for us in my time.

agree, after cannavaro he was the best i've seen in the flesh full stop

who else have you seen?

Goals were flowing past man, it is only recently him & the rest of the back four have picked up.

Goals were flowing past because Coloccini wasn't defending properly? The point is, Coloccini, even in his worse games, has been the best central defender this club has had since Albert & Howey. If not better.

Should not forget Woodgate, even though he wasnt here for too long and also got him self injured, but he for sure was one great defender!

I have not forgotten Woodgate at all. But he was here one and a half seasons, and barely played for us (28 games or so?). Coloccini is well on his way to going past that in his first season alone, and he does not look injury prone to me, having played every game for Depor last season. Fingers crossed, knock on wood and all that, long may it continue.

I agree btw on fitness terms, but on pure ability Woodgate despite hardly playing for us is more than likely the best centre half we've ever had.

who else have you seen?

good question now you ask it, pretty much anyone playing for an english prem team from our 2nd season up under keegan onwards to 2005, at least one leg of all the european games we played until 2005 when i pissed off out the country

fucked if i'm gonna try and name 'em all though!! ;)

cannavaro & woodgate stand out, to me, for their intelligence and reading of the game - they snuff(ed) out problems before most defenders would even know one was coming

When Woodgate played you had the confidence that our team wouldn't conceed no matter who the opposition were. The games against Chelsea and Marseille at home were just breath taking performances.

I still don't have that confidence in the current defence but they're keeping clean sheets!

When Woodgate played you had the confidence that our team wouldn't conceed no matter who the opposition were. The games against Chelsea and Marseille at home were just breath taking performances.

I still don't have that confidence in the current defence but they're keeping clean sheets!

i always felt he was THAT good, to be able to cover some of the average to shite players he was alongside to the extent we'd be ok

i did wonder sometimes though, if the heights to which he impressed me weren't a little bit influenced by how bad the defenders before had been!!

concluded probably not, he was an amazing defender for us, if we ever see anyone in his class again i'll be delighted

who else have you seen?

do you want a list ?

i've missed fewer than a dozen home games all comps,since the days of jim smith and about 75% of all home games since 1974 so i've seen quite a few in the flesh.

Woodgate was quality but the hype he gets on this board is in no small measure due to the fact he was our player, for a small period of time

He really was immense for us though. Rare to get a defender who can win a ball so slickly and consistently without having to use sheer strength or aggressive/rough tackling.

IMO if he didn't have the injury problems, he'd be up there with the Baresi's and Cannavarro's in terms of being a legendary defender at all levels in the game. At the same time though, if he wasn't injury prone we'd never have signed him in the first place as he'd have gone straight to a CL elite team for silly money ala Rio Ferdinand.

Guest Heneage

Woodgate was quality but the hype he gets on this board is in no small measure due to the fact he was our player, for a small period of time

True, a very good calm defender. But then what good player doesn't gain hype from his own fans.

The style is similar with him and Colocinni, both are quite assured, comfortable on the ball and can pass and keep a back line calm. What I like about Colocinni is his ability to do the continental side as well as the tough tackling, he's far from perfect and sometimes doesn't quite read situations perfectly, but I wouldn't swap him for £10m I think we nabbed quite the bargain when you consider Rio cost £30m.

He really was immense for us though. Rare to get a defender who can win a ball so slickly and consistently without having to use sheer strength or aggressive/rough tackling.

IMO if he didn't have the injury problems, he'd be up there with the Baresi's and Cannavarro's in terms of being a legendary defender at all levels in the game. At the same time though, if he wasn't injury prone we'd never have signed him in the first place as he'd have gone straight to a CL elite team for silly money ala Rio Ferdinand.

We were looking like becoming an elite CL team in a way, it just didn't work out for him or us. I remember genuinely thinking 'if Woodgate and Bellamy can stay fit, if Shearer keeps on scoring... who knows' when Woodgate signed. We were definitely in with a shout and maybe it's a different season but we were top with 12 games to go and Sir Bobby said 'well, if we win 12 games, we're champs, it's as simple as that'.

I agree with you though, that Woodgate was a top class defender and imo as good as Ferdinand and better than Terry.

Of course it is man. Still doesn't alter the fact he was brilliant when he played here.

Of course it is man. Still doesn't alter the fact he was brilliant when he played here.

He was. But people go on like he's Maldini man. He's England's forth choice at best yet you'd thing he'd get into a world Xl judging by some of the comments on here. I even remember arguing about 18 months back with more than one on here that though he was leagues ahead of Rio Ferdinand  :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

He was. But people go on like he's Maldini man. He's England's forth choice at best yet you'd thing he'd get into a world Xl judging by some of the comments on here. I even remember arguing about 18 months back with more than one on here that though he was leagues ahead of Rio Ferdinand  :lol:

Fuckin hell, some people. Colos almost better than Woodgate for me. Not in terms of quality, just because he's well on his way to playing more games than him before the seasons even half done.

We were looking like becoming an elite CL team in a way, it just didn't work out for him or us. I remember genuinely thinking 'if Woodgate and Bellamy can stay fit, if Shearer keeps on scoring... who knows' when Woodgate signed. We were definitely in with a shout and maybe it's a different season but we were top with 12 games to go and Sir Bobby said 'well, if we win 12 games, we're champs, it's as simple as that'.

I agree with you though, that Woodgate was a top class defender and imo as good as Ferdinand and better than Terry.

Agreed. If we had of bought in another CB in and around Woody's quality, and 1 or 2 other additions to the squad, then I really do think we would've won the league. Especially with the magic and experience Sir Bobby gave us.

We were a quality side. The experience and sturdieness of Shearer, Speed and Woodgate accompanied by the flair and pace of the like of Dyer, Jenas, Bellamy, Robert and Viana (Hugo wasnt quick with his legs but he was such a quality footballer). Great times which are sadly a long time away from us now.

To be fair, his injuries robbed him of a steady england place and a reputation worthy of his talent. He'd easily be considered on of the best defender in the world had he not been injured at Madrid, he'd of got that rep from playing for such a big club.

We certainly need him

Not happy with the abuse Stevie Taylor is getting though.

Tries too hard I think is the problem.

I reckon the problem is that he doesn't defend well enough. Not saying he was the only one today btw.