Sébastien Bassong (now retired)

Crumpy Gunt

I'd go as far as to say he's the best centre half of his age in the league, unless i have missed someone obvious. Personally, i think Coloccini has had a decent first season but Bassong has eclipsed him.

I worry that Bassong will have second season syndrome next year, which young players sometimes do.

Doubt he will to be honest - second season is usually an attackers thing as defenders get wise to your tricks, its arguably harder to reproduce ever week being an attacker.

he's been better than Woodgate tbh

Wrong.

On a side note didn't we only ever lose one game in which Woodgate appeared for us? Shame we don't have him to play alongside Seba

well what has Woodgate 6-5 years ago got to do with how well he's played this season? He's been good but not as good as Seb

i expect Bassong to be sold in the summer for £5m  and after that Lambias to say that we made a huge profit on this deal and that the money will be spend wisely but of course they will end up in Ashley's pocket,like it happened in January.

Dear me..   :lol:

Oh and drop Coloccini for Taylor Gallowgate?  Why because Taylor's distribution is so great? :nope:  Coloccini and Bassong are our two best central defenders, Coloccini has been out of form recently but he's still been solid, which is more then I can say for Taylor at centre back (he's been quite good at right back though IMO).

Taylor would be a solid RB on one condition:  he stopped playing up front.  I brought my mate (Spurs fan) to the game today, and his comment was "Your right back doesn't seem to understand the 'back' part of his job description."

I'm all for the RB making runs up front, but unlike Beye, he's too reluctant to go back.   Too busy trying to be that Geordie hero.  He needs to mature and realise it's a team game and he is not Kaka 2.0.

Don't think he understands RB at all. When he's in a defensive role he keeps getting dragged into the centre when he doesn't need to be there at all he needs to stop at right back. To be honest I'd prefer he was dropped and Raylor be put in at right back leaving the wingers as Jonas and Duff. Bassong was good again though, worthy of his MOTM I thought.

Another thing i'll say about Seb, one of the weaknesses he seemed to have earlier on the season was his touch, but even that is looking absolute quality now. Countless times he controlled dangeous balls into the box with ease and passed them away to safety with either foot. He's a fucking colussus

Another thing i'll say about Seb, one of the weaknesses he seemed to have earlier on the season was his touch, but even that is looking absolute quality now. Countless times he controlled dangeous balls into the box with ease and passed them away to safety with either foot. He's a f***ing colussus

Got to stop grabbing opponents though cause plenty will go down and he'll give away a penalty. He's given away a few dangerous free kicks this season and he keeps on doing it.

Wrong.

On a side note didn't we only ever lose one game in which Woodgate appeared for us? Shame we don't have him to play alongside Seba

well what has Woodgate 6-5 years ago got to do with how well he's played this season? He's been good but not as good as Seb

Do you shite mean the Woodgate of now though.

solid as a rock yet again, our best player today and going on this season alone, our best defender since Albert

Wrong.

Do you s**** mean the Woodgate of now though.

solid as a rock yet again, our best player today and going on this season alone, our best defender since Albert

Tbh, I dont think Woodgate of then was any better than Bassong now.

Woodgate played in a far better team tbh. Hughes and especially Bernard were solid, Bramble generally looked quality alongside him, Given was in his prime, one of the best CDM in the business was in the midfield, and we did most of our defending from the front. Not to mention we had one of the best managers tactically that the game will ever see.

Cant really compare Woodgate's situation with Bassong's. TBF it's an absolute miracle that a 22 yr old newcomer to the premiership has thrived in that defence, but he has. He probably isn't as big a fucking arsehole as Woody either.

Woodgate made Hughes,Bramble and Bernard look solid. The contrast between our defence when he played to when O'Brien played was massive. Best defender I've seen at NUFC by a long stretch.

01-02  71 points  (without Woodgate)

02-03  69 points  (with woodgate from Jan)

03-04  56 points  (with woodgate)

aye, that's a fucking incredible difference

Guest neesy111

Woodgate made Hughes,Bramble and Bernard look solid. The contrast between our defence when he played to when O'Brien played was massive. Best defender I've seen at NUFC by a long stretch.

aye, that's a fucking incredible difference

we did concede less goals with woodgate in the team, but we also scored less in the 2 seasons he was here

aye, that's a f***ing incredible difference

we did concede less goals with woodgate in the team, but we also scored less in the 2 seasons he was here

In one and a half seasons Woodgate only played about 30 games for us iirc.

That's not true because i remember a defeat at spurs where woody played and he played in the 6-2. We were infinitely better with him than without though, but the same can be said about bassong tbh. If he gets injured we might as well turn the lights off.

Bassong and Enrique are my favourite players atm..I've always liked young players. Hope that we will keep both of them as they will probably get better and better. Just hope that we strengthen the team in other areas..

That's not true because i remember a defeat at spurs where woody played and he played in the 6-2. We were infinitely better with him than without though, but the same can be said about bassong tbh. If he gets injured we might as well turn the lights off.

We lost at Everton when he conceded the penalty as well.

Bassong and Enrique are my favourite players atm..I've always liked young players. Hope that we will keep both of them as they will probably get better and better. Just hope that we strengthen the team in other areas..

Agreed, Enrique is showing his true qualities now he's got a bit of confidence. I'd love to see both those players playing for a decent, successful side. But then that goes for most of our good players.

Woodgate is the best defender I've seen play for Newcastle, although he doesn't look as good now for Spurs. Bit daft to start comparing Bassong with him already, he needs that like a hole in the head. It just goes to show what a difference a class player at the back makes though.

Seemed to get caught out a few times yesterday because he wanted too much time on the ball around the penalty box, apart from that I thought the whole back four was solid and it was nice to see both Enrique and Taylor trying to get up field.