Derek Llambeezy

Willow

i'd guess the last window has just confirmed that strategy.

It confirmed that they were prepared to spend to stay up, in the Summer they weren't prepared to spend to kick on.

in anita, that dutch forward and debuchy they appeared to be willing to spend more than they did in january.

Not sure they 'learned their lessons' this January at all. More the fact the realised the magnitude of the situation and knew that unless they went out and bought Pardew half a team then there was a fair chance of going down. That Reading (H) result was the moment of clarity.

We'll see in the summer. Hope they don't rest on their laurels again.

i don't think they did last time, just the strategy didn't get what we wanted. it's not like we said "we aren't ineterested in buying anyone" just that the deals didn't come off.

And totally coincidentally they ALL came off this January when we were in relegation trouble. Whatever. :lol:

in anita, that dutch forward and debuchy they appeared to be willing to spend more than they did in january.

That Dutch forward and Debuchy didn't sign in the Summer because we were sticking to a budget, at the same time Ashley had his bank balance improved by £11 million.

Not sure they 'learned their lessons' this January at all. More the fact the realised the magnitude of the situation and knew that unless they went out and bought Pardew half a team then there was a fair chance of going down. That Reading (H) result was the moment of clarity.

Well that does sound like they've learned a lesson or two, certainly compared to the relegation season.

i don't think they did last time, just the strategy didn't get what we wanted. it's not like we said "we aren't ineterested in buying anyone" just that the deals didn't come off.

And totally coincidentally they ALL came off this January when we were in relegation trouble. Whatever. :lol:

well I wouldn't say it was coincidence but if you want to think we could've got sissoko, gouffran and mapou last summer for the prices we did in january then thats up to you.

i'm not denying and never have that we spent a little because we were in trouble but the overall strategy of exploiting clauses/contract endings  (paying under market value) is still there and it's a damn sight easier to spend 1.5 mill on a player worth a lot more (sisssoko,gouffran) than an extra 1.5mill who may not (de jong, debuchy). for what it's worth had sissoko,gouffran and mapou been available at those prices last summer do you think we'd have bought them then ?

That Dutch forward and Debuchy didn't sign in the Summer because we were sticking to a budget, at the same time Ashley had his bank balance improved by £11 million.

maybe also sticking to the idea thast we wont spend more than we think a players worth ? (we have on occasion been known to pay the going rate)

well I wouldn't say it was coincidence but if you want to think we could've got sissoko, gouffran and mapou last summer for the prices we did in january then thats up to you.

i'm not denying and never have that we spent a little because we were in trouble but the overall strategy of exploiting clauses/contract endings  (paying under market value) is still there and it's a damn sight easier to spend 1.5 mill on a player worth a lot more (sisssoko,gouffran) than an extra 1.5mill who may not (de jong, debuchy). for what it's worth had sissoko,gouffran and mapou been available at those prices last summer do you think we'd have bought them then ?

Our procurement strategy is commendable there's no doubt or argument about that but failure to pay the market rate in summer for a fourth centre-back (for example) was inexcusable.

IMO they would have thrown their procurement strategy out the window and paid over the odds in January for the players we bought, had the selling clubs quoted higher prices, because they had to - case in point being Sissoko, who would have been free/virtually free (agent fees etc), but we paid for - the principles of their procurement strategy were correctly overridden in January by necessity, as they ought to have been in the summer.

However, they had rested on their laurels and penny-pinched to a dangerous degree after last season's achievements.

They certainly deserve credit for realising the damage caused by the inactivity of the summer window and being very active in remedying it in the summer, we were like a fucking whirlwind in January I genuinely couldn't keep up :lol: but even from a fiscal perspective, would we have had to spend the alleged £31m in January, had we paid an extra £15m in the summer? Three players who are at a first-team level, I wager, would have allowed us more rotation and prevented many of the injuries which have blighted this season IMO.

As ever with the current board, actions will speak louder than words.

I will not accept that they have 'learned their lesson' until we start the 2013/14 season with the supposed necessary additions they are talking about making....

We  will have a lot of competition for the players we need and I remain unconvinced that they will go the necessary distance to get those players.

Time will tell.....

I don't really get the 'learned from lessons', thing anyway. They'll do good things and have masterstrokes, they'll make poor decisions and do things where we think, 'what the fuck?'.

Overall though I think we're in a good position on and off the pitch, and not a million miles away from getting where we should be.

Guest chicken little

they've been getting better; if i was feeling charitable (which i almost never am) i would understand that dekka & ashley are canny businessmen who've taken an unduly long time to adapt to an industry neither of them have prior experience in.

As ever with the current board, actions will speak louder than words.

I will not accept that they have 'learned their lesson' until we start the 2013/14 season with the supposed necessary additions they are talking about making....

We  will have a lot of competition for the players we need and I remain unconvinced that they will go the necessary distance to get those players.

Time will tell.....

O0

In a nutshell.

Plus our ability/determination to hold onto Cabaye, HBA, Krul et al....

This summer should be interesting and possibly the most important summer for some time, in terms of our intentions and future plans.

Positive noise is good, but wev'e heard it before. Only actions will speak.

We could easily have the best squad wev'e had in donkeys years if it all goes well...........or.....

Now, now, fucking NOW!

I want everything for my football club right away, this summer, next season - Immediately.

I don't give a flying fuck about 5 years time, and you can't even imagine how little I care about10 years time.

Football isn't about fucking spreadsheets, man.

Who gives two shits about the potential of the club in years to come when we're currently in the bottom half of the league and just got beat off wigan.

Sack the board. Wankers. Fuck sensible business plans, long term vision, and holistic approaches , that's not football.

Now, now, fucking NOW!

I want everything for my football club right away, this summer, next season - Immediately.

I don't give a flying fuck about 5 years time, and you can't even imagine how little I care about10 years time.

Football isn't about fucking spreadsheets, man.

Who gives two shits about the potential of the club in years to come when we're currently in the bottom half of the league and just got beat off wigan.

Sack the board. Wankers. Fuck sensible business plans, long term vision, and holistic approaches , that's not football.

Can't believe you typed all that to make such a stupid, childish point :lol:

Now, now, f***ing NOW!

I don't give a flying f*** about 5 years time, and you can't even imagine how little I care about10 years time.

Football isn't about f***ing spreadsheets, man.

Who gives two s***s about the potential of the club in years to come when we're currently in the bottom half of the league and just got beat off wigan.

Sack the board. w*****s. f*** sensible business plans, long term vision, and holistic approaches , that's not football.

Can't believe you typed all that to make such a stupid, childish point :lol:

On my phone too :D

Guest firetotheworks

Hasn't Lambias said that the difference between the summer and January was that in the summer we stuck to the method too stringently?

If that's the case then it's not a matter of the method not working in the summer and then conveniently working in January.