Derek Llambeezy

Willow

Interesting. Very interesting. Shame the man is a proven liar though, or I might have believed more of that crap.

Like fuck does Mike still call it St James. He went to all the trouble and backlash for naming it after his shitty sports chain, a bloke like him will be revelling in it, if anything.

As far as I'm concerned, they would be more then happy to sell anybody in that first XI if the price is right. Lashing them on long contracts only adds to their potential value, thus more money for Ashley. Using Arsenal as an example to make this OK is frankly stupid. Cesc wanted to return to his roots (and, of course, probably the best team in Europe), Nasri was (and still is) a greedy little shit and followed the money trail, as did Adebayor and Clichy. When you look at how much Arsenal spend on wages its not hard to see why. I would hardly say leaving Arsenal for Man City is going to a bigger club if I'm honest.

The whole De Rossi situation over the last year at Roma is an example of how to keep your best players. Spurs did it with Modric. Porto with Hulk. Its not uncommon, and whilst these are only a few examples from relatively big clubs too, I would say that unless any of our players were good enough for champions league regulars or wanted a big pay day they would be better off sticking with us.

The whole thing smacks of the pair of them trying to cover themselves in the glory of the team doing well whilst absolving them of any blame in selling players in the future.

We all know that we'll sell anybody if the price is mad enough. Llambias basically said that himself, so I don't see how you can use that against him.

Thing is, I don't think its strictly 'if the price is mad enough'. How much would you value Tiote at?

I just don't like the fact that it seems they wont even fight to keep our best players and keep pushing on season after season.

We all know that we'll sell anybody if the price is mad enough. Llambias basically said that himself, so I don't see how you can use that against him.

Thing is, I don't think its strictly 'if the price is mad enough'. How much would you value Tiote at?

I just don't like the fact that it seems they wont even fight to keep our best players and keep pushing on season after season.

I don't like it either really, but it's how we're going to make our finances sustainable. I hate the idea of losing Tiote as much as anyone.

I don't think we'll be selling anyone for anything less than a hefty fee though, it wouldn't make sense to do that and it hasn't happened since Enrique, who was going to be out of contract anyway. 

Good open positive stuff.

Regarding Tiote, while I hope we keep him but not sure we will, to talk about him like he's irreplacable baffles me.

He has played one outstanding game for us this season and has a total of one goal for us since he arrived. Decent player but not sure the reality matches the hype.

Has anybody said that Tiote is irreplacable?  A Tiote replacement could easily turn out to struggle like Obertan has, the more you buy and sell, the more likely you are to make mistakes.

If not expressly stated there are certainly implications along those lines.

I'll make it quite clear, I hope he stays, partly because of the point you quite correctly make. However in a risk and reward business if he does go, my feeling is it would be for more than his real value.

Truth is we haven't really missed him that much when he hasn't played this season and that was before any "replacement" was in place.

The whole De Rossi situation over the last year at Roma is an example of how to keep your best players. Spurs did it with Modric. Porto with Hulk. Its not uncommon, and whilst these are only a few examples from relatively big clubs too, I would say that unless any of our players were good enough for champions league regulars or wanted a big pay day they would be better off sticking with us.

Spurs aren't really a great example. It took years of flogging their star players before they could put together a side capable of challenging for the Champions League and turn down massive bids.

DL and Pards are stuck between a rock and a hard place - if they categorically deny that any of our players will be sold then when they are they'll get strips torn off of them much like they did after the Carroll deal, acknowledge we'd struggle to keep hold of our better players if a Man City came in for them and everyone throws a hissy because it's proof we're trying to move them on and make a fast buck. I would love to think that we'd slam the phone down when one of the cash rich clubs come knocking but in reality we'll listen to them.

I don't like it either really, but it's how we're going to make our finances sustainable. I hate the idea of losing Tiote as much as anyone.

I don't think we'll be selling anyone for anything less than a hefty fee though, it wouldn't make sense to do that and it hasn't happened since Enrique, who was going to be out of contract anyway. 

We could have kept Enrique and I think we would have a better chance of keeping him because I have little doubt that we would have done better this season with him than we have without.

Good open positive stuff.

Regarding Tiote, while I hope we keep him but not sure we will, to talk about him like he's irreplacable baffles me.

He has played one outstanding game for us this season and has a total of one goal for us since he arrived. Decent player but not sure the reality matches the hype.

Has anybody said that Tiote is irreplacable?  A Tiote replacement could easily turn out to struggle like Obertan has, the more you buy and sell, the more likely you are to make mistakes.

Bit of an odd thing to say, equally the more you buy and sell, the more likely you are to unearth a gem.

Besides, the more you do something the better you get, right? ;)

As for keeping Enrique. Nah, I don't think there was a cat in hells chance of persuading him to stay.

We could have kept Enrique and I think we would have a better chance of keeping him because I have little doubt that we would have done better this season with him than we have without.

http://static.igossip.com/photos_2012/53/You_Dont_Say

Well we could have forced him to stay in the hope that we would do well enough to persuade him not to leave for nothing, but you know as well as I do that football clubs aren't run like that.

Bit of an odd thing to say, equally the more you buy and sell, the more likely you are to unearth a gem.

Besides, the more you do something the better you get, right? ;)

As for keeping Enrique. Nah, I don't think there was a cat in hells chance of persuading him to stay.

We've unearthed 1 gem so far and as for Enrique, he wanted to play in Europe and we have a good chance of doing that and would have had a better chance of doing so with him.

Well we could have forced him to stay in the hope that we would do well enough to persuade him not to leave for nothing, but you know as well as I do that football clubs aren't run like that.

I don't, I do know ours isn't though.

Some of it could be sponsorship, the northern rock deal wasn't the biggest.

Yeah - just seems such a large difference. 

Derek then talks about using SJP in the summer as a great source of revenue, but I am not aware of Spurs making WHL into a concert venue or such like in the summer.  I suppose it must be down to their sponsorship far exceeding ours.

I don't think many, if any, are run like that.  Certainly not on a regular basis - there might be the odd individual exception.

Spurs aren't really a great example. It took years of flogging their star players before they could put together a side capable of challenging for the Champions League and turn down massive bids.

DL and Pards are stuck between a rock and a hard place - if they categorically deny that any of our players will be sold then when they are they'll get strips torn off of them much like they did after the Carroll deal, acknowledge we'd struggle to keep hold of our better players if a Man City came in for them and everyone throws a hissy because it's proof we're trying to move them on and make a fast buck. I would love to think that we'd slam the phone down when one of the cash rich clubs come knocking but in reality we'll listen to them.

Sadly, I have to conceed and agree with that :( What I don't agree with is their willingness to tout our players around in various sources across the press (This latest one from Dekka is a prime example) and the numerous times that they have stated that people are for sale. I think it's this more then anything that gets my back up, even if he was using Tiote as an example, it's still unacceptable in my eyes  :tickedoff:

Come on man, how many clubs intentionally let their players contracts run out and just hope that they can persuade the player to stay? It almost never happens.

f***ing hell, people were convinced Tiote was gone in January, now they are going to waste the next few months crying over the possibility that he may go this summer.

We have 11 games of THIS season left ffs, lets see where we can finish before we complain about who may or may not leave. Theres still a slim chance of Champions League football, who knows what happens then but like s**** am going to bleat over a few words from Llambias that have been said before anyway.

He was supposed to be sold last summer, then January (when instead we BOUGHT a player), and now it's summer again! :lol:

Until be can regularly challenge for/play CL football we are always going to loose our better players to better teams....

Also since when do people believe what DL says in the media....i thought it was all lies. And since when do chairmen use the media as their primary means for touting players....it's fucking ridiculous.

Personally I fucking ignore 95% of the media, it's bulshit! What managers say, chairmen...most of it is bullshit! It's used to appease fans, coerce the masses  ;)

Orwell, man!  :D

But seriously, the club looks in excellent health both on and off the pitch.... why people see the need to blow up this shite and turnit into more conspiracy theories, I don't know :lol:

I look forward to seeing the team play every week, I'm optimistic about the future of the club. FFS, things are actually being done right around here for once (most things, bar Stadium name changing)

It's funny that everyone loves to call them out for lying but in this case he's merely telling it like it is. You cannot handle the truth.

At this point it's getting ridiculous how often it's brought up - seemingly apropos of nothing - and the detail to which he responds, making it sound more like an advert than a frank admission of the reality of the situation. 

e: and I'm someone who prefers such things to the meaningless bluff and bluster responses about never selling etc. 

Come on man, how many clubs intentionally let their players contracts run out and just hope that they can persuade the player to stay? It almost never happens.

It happens, that's part of the reason you get free transfers.  I'm not saying clubs intentionally let players contracts run out, usually they try to put a new contract in place but it does happen.