Michael Owen gets injured; rejoice!

Willow

I hope to God we replace him if he goes btw, it would be typical NUFC for him to leave and we try and fail to replace him, or even replace him with fodder. Just out of interest btw, is he available for the start of next season? I assume his contract was 4 years from when he signed?

The worrying thing for me is that if Ashley stays then the needed replacement will not be top draw. Or if we do spend money on a goalscorer, that will leave no money for anything else. No progress.

You and your mates at NUSC better hurry up and help him sell the club then.

Haven't joined but a sale is the only real hope imo.

Facing a new season with Ameobi, Martins and Xisco and a championship plodder would bring relegation.

nah, baggy still thinks this DOF system is the bees knees

As much as it may fuck us off, realistically what would you do ?

You work for a firm that is fundamentally unstable.

You've been there 3 years and have had a number of managers and 2 dodgy owners, the current one has gone awol and is trying to sell.

The firm has taken massive steps backwards in the three years you have been there.

Despite them supporting you through a long period of illness you have no emotional ties to the firm, you are only there because they pay you way over the odds.

There's a serious chance the firm could fold (in our case be relegated) in 6 months.

You have one or two moves max before you retire

The door is wide open for you to leave at your own free will and join a better, more successful firm at low risk to yourself.

Would you sign up for another 3 years of chaos and uncertainty ? I know I wouldn't. I'd be listening to offers and planning my escape.

its not a "firm"

I have to say, in spite of my earlier statements, the thought of Owen in another Premier League teams shirt next season is fucking sickening :lol: Man Utd would honestly be an absolute nightmare for me with all my mates being ManUre fans, it would be absolutely unbearable :( One of the only positives of him leaving would be if he joined a team like Villa and helped them end this whole top 4 nonsense.

Ah well, was always on the cards. Can't blame him really.

Who are you referring to? :lol: ;)

You're off your head if you think I'm reading all these latest pages ;) from the headline I take this as a come and get me plea to other clubs?

You're off your head if you think I'm reading all these latest pages ;) from the headline I take this as a come and get me plea to other clubs?

Haha, it was just corking timing on this particular page that's all. :razz:

On Owen, it depends how cynical you want to be about it...

Both Owen & Kinnear's statements are on the first post of the thread so easy to read and make your own opinion. ;)

Guest sittingontheball

Michael Owen looks certain to quit Newcastle at the end of the season after seeing out the club’s fight against relegation.

Stopped reading after that.

The Independent's article similarly starts with

"Michael Owen plunged Newcastle United into further chaos yesterday when he gave the clearest signal yet that he will be leaving the club in the summer."

Eight games is a fair number to judge, so lets look at the last eight.

Top of the Table pundit-darlings Liverpool FC

Won 3 Drawn 4 Lost 1

Scored 12 Conceded 6

Team "Chaos" (NUFC)

Won 3 Drawn 4 Lost 1

Scored 12 Conceded 7

No one in the press will ever make the comparison, but Man U spunked a bigger fortune on Owen Hargreaves who has started all of sixteen games in one and a half seasons. Of course, he's been injured and in their minds, that's just desperately bad luck. Liverpool paid double what Robbie Keane was worth, and Chelsea, well take your pick. The obvious one is Shevchenko.

Wow. Interesting.

So all things considered if Man City come in with a £10 million bid in January, and they might very well be desperate enough to do so, what do you think we ought to do?

Fucking sell!

Guest sittingontheball

To be honest, why would Owen go to Citeh now? He'll want wedge AND European football. That club is in far more of a mess than us. They have just lost to a team that was whopped by Sunderland the week before.  Half their team isn't trying.

If, by some chance, Owen does go to Citeh, it will be cast-iron proof that (his agent already knows) no top team is remotely interested in him.

IMO most of the Premier League is meh and with a good run we could still finish quite high.

If they lose their next game (Villa away) Arsenal will be six points out of the CL places. Their main problems are at the back, but maybe its them who should come in for Owen. Van Persie is injury prone, and its risky to expect instant miracles from Eduardo.

Guest Brazilianbob

In my opinion Owen is just waiting to see whether we have any ambition.  If we buy some quality in Jan and go on a good run and maybe get into a Uefa cup spot then he may very well decide we are on the up and decide to stay.

However, if as expected we bring in a couple of no mark loan signings and some average championship quality players, and then sell the likes of N'Zogbia and Taylor, then he will see the club lacks ambition, especially in light of Milners sale, and he will go anywhere but stay at SJP.  As he has already said, it's not about the money.  The unspoken word is that it is about the club tangibly demonstrating their ambition.

Every second you spend posting about owen staying, every second you spend thinking he will, or making up reasons for him to stay. is a precious second of your life wasted.

Its time you will never get back.

Use it for something more realistic.

I think Owen knows he is going at the end of the season this "delaying his decision" is just a smokescreen so he doesnt get hassled from now to the end of the season if he had of came out and just said he was leaving in the summer.

Wow. Interesting.

So all things considered if Man City come in with a £10 million bid in January, and they might very well be desperate enough to do so, what do you think we ought to do?

Fucking sell!

Providing we can use the money to get in another attacking player, definitely sell. That's what any sensible club would do.

I don't think it would happen though because the club would be fearful of the fans' reaction.

In my opinion Owen is just waiting to see whether we have any ambition.  If we buy some quality in Jan and go on a good run and maybe get into a Uefa cup spot then he may very well decide we are on the up and decide to stay.

However,if as expected we bring in a couple of no mark loan signings and some average championship quality players, and then sell the likes of N'Zogbia and Taylor, then he will see the club lacks ambition, especially in light of Milners sale, and he will go anywhere but stay at SJP.  As he has already said, it's not about the money.  The unspoken word is that it is about the club tangibly demonstrating their ambition.

:laugh:

Every second you spend posting about owen staying, every second you spend thinking he will, or making up reasons for him to stay. is a precious second of your life wasted.

I see you've switched over to dashing hopes about Owen staying now that relegation seems a lot more unlikely. :razz: