Michael Owen gets injured; rejoice!

Willow

God i f***ing despise Steven Gerrard. :)

Owen and Gerrard are still best mates.

I won't repeat what Owen was meant to have called Newcastle fans after Gerrard got booed at St James' after England missed out on Euro 2008.

Gerrard seems to have had it in for the club since then for booing him.

I won't repeat what Owen was meant to have called Newcastle fans after Gerrard got booed at St James' after England missed out on Euro 2008.

Wouldn't surprise me if Owen asked Gerrard to put out today's bollocks about welcoming him back to Liverpool (:mackems:) just to go hand in hand with the news about him winning damages regarding his career being over.

He and his agent clearly believe his reputation in the media is key to him getting a good move next.

are you itk or something?

Guest Alan Shearer 9

I wish that bloke who topped himself because Owen was being such a cunt would have gone postal and shot the little rat through the sphincter, absolute cretin of a footballer. I stuck up for him before the run in as I thought he was one of our better players and needed to start, but the game against Portsmouth proved what a gutless shit cunt he is.

Wouldn't surprise me if Owen asked Gerrard to put out today's bollocks about welcoming him back to Liverpool (:mackems:) just to go hand in hand with the news about him winning damages regarding his career being over.

He and his agent clearly believe his reputation in the media is key to him getting a good move next.

He's used his agent and advisors to sound out a move for the last few transfer windows but up until last summer he'd have only left for a top 4 club on similar wages but no-one came in for him. He's still close to Carragher and Gerrard at Liverpool but Benitez isn't interested.

From what i've heard his best offer at the moment is 60k a week at Everton with a signing on fee on top, with high appearance and goal bonuses. Probably still waiting for a better offer but he would have stayed here, on lesser terms had Newcastle stayed up. Its not all about the money with Owen.

He's used his agent and advisors to sound out a move for the last few transfer windows but up until last summer he'd have only left for a top 4 club on similar wages but no-one came in for him. He's still close to Carragher and Gerrard at Liverpool but Benitez isn't interested.

From what i've heard his best offer at the moment is 60k a week at Everton with a signing on fee on top, with high appearance and goal bonuses. Probably still waiting for a better offer but he would have stayed here, on lesser terms had Newcastle stayed up. Its not all about the money with Owen.

Read the bits in bold again.

Read the bits in bold again.

What I mean Dave is he wants his England place back.

If Newcastle offered him 80k a week in the Championship and Everton offered him 60k a week in the Premiership, he'd probably choose Everton. He would turn down the extra money, to play in the Premiership. He is money motivated but not completely.

Don't forget he came here over Liverpool for his England place, as much as the extra money.

It's definitely all about the money.

He would have stayed if we didn't get relegated because he knows we would have been stupid enough to likely pay him more than anyone else would.

Also, he was likely thinking his big pal Shearer would build the team around him and play him whenever fit.

i am a big fan of Michael, a good friend of his, and I would love to see him get a move away from Newcastle to a bigger club and put his England career back on track."

did he really say that??? :dave: :dave: :dave:

i am a big fan of Michael, a good friend of his, and I would love to see him get a move away from Newcastle to a bigger club and put his England career back on track."

He's had it in for the club since the fans booed him after the England game that time.

Owen was annoyed with the fans that day as well.

He's had it in for the club since the fans booed him after the England game that time.

Havent Liverpool fans been a bit grumbly (few boo's?) at Owen when he has returned to Anfield with NUFC ?

Regardless of whether he's shit / past it / not bothered about anything other than England / the right move away from getting his career back on track, he's surely a talismanic figure of bad in the recent demise of Newcastle - the figurehead of "bad shit" that people, inside and out, point to when talking about Newcastle.

For that reason and that reason only, you should be glad to get shot.

Personally, I think anyone paying him 60k a week wants their head looking at, but anyone taking him on a "pay as you play" deal is probably taking a gamble worth taking (so long as they're within easy reach of his stable or his mine shaft full of gold, or whatever it is that he goes home to Cheshire to wank himself off over every night)

But Newcastle fans applauded him off the pitch when he destroyed us in the 5-1 defeat in December.

Although it's extremely unlikely, I'd honestly like ManU to come in for Owen, and for Owen to regain some form for both club and country in time for the 2010 World Cup. With all due respect, it'd be a shame if England went to the 2010 World Cup with Bent, Defoe, Crouch, Ashton, etc, as the only options to call upon when a goal is desperately needed. Owen could still have something to offer as a sub in those situations.

Hence, ManU are the only sort of team I can see him having any kind of success for now. He's too slow to make use of sporadic service from a team like Everton or Villa, he needs to be playing for a team that can essentially carry him for 90 minutes (i.e. be able to play effectively with 10 men) whilst at the same time being able to carve the opposition open at will so that he'll get a few chances in the box. And he needs to be at a club that will bench him more often than not so that he minimises the risk of injury - much like his time at Madrid. He won't fit into Liverpool or Chelsea's systems (or even Man City's for that matter assuming they switch to a 4-3-3), he's wont fit into Arsenal's pass-and-move playing style, he's too much of a luxury for anyone below the top four, and so that leaves only one club that could realistically get the best out of what he is now. Given ManU and Ferguson's successful use of Solskjaer, it's possible that Owen could see a rejuvination of some sorts in that super-sub role.

Looking back at his time here, he's been a waste of space bar the few months in midfield, an awful signing in terms of the money spent and the sacrifices made, and a dishonourable, sneaky toerag because of the episode where he and his agents, after 1.5 years of being injured and 15 games during the 2 years since his £17m transfer, decided to thank us for our money and support by whoring him out in order to activate his £9m release clause (how unfortunate for us that everyone stayed well clear). But he's still a former world class striker, and imo it's always a shame for the game itself to see players of that ilk looking finished and dejected long before their time is up. So when he leaves, I'll consider him a bit of a c*** based on his tenure here and the general arrogance he consistently seemed to display in thinking he was too good/big for us, but will wish him well for the future and hope that he regains some form/fitness with whoever lands him.

As for us, I hope we learn our lesson from this. Never sign someone like Owen at such high stakes when they not only have a history of injuries and are clearly past their best due to a change in athleticism, but the player himself thinks he's bigger than the club - which he never was. Even when Owen was at his very best, a 17/18 year old speed demon tearing old, slow centrebacks apart, he wasn't better than Andy Cole, Sir Les, or Shearer in his first season here were - their form for us was better than what he showed for Liverpool. So for him to think he was too good for us by the time he had become a shadow of his former self and had just spent the year on Madrid's bench was an insult that should have seen us lose interest immediately. We're a bigger club than he gave us credit for, we've had better strikers in the past, and as soon as he said he was only interested in the top four, we should have called him up privately and told him to go f*** himself because he's not that great. We sold ourselves short by acting like small-fry, like a desperate ex who can't for the life of them see all the fish in the sea, hooked on this one person who doesn't want us, tipping over ourselves and our balance sheet in order to land this "dream signing", when we should have said "meh, we've had better", and moved on to talent that actually wanted to play for us.

The fact is that Capello doesn't and never has "fancied" Michael Owen. I might put a very large bet on that he doesn't play in the World Cup at all, however many goals he scores at Everton or whoever is daft enought to take him.

If memory serves me right, when he played at Real he scored 4 goals in a Cup game, and he was dropped the next game by Capello. And was either benched or injured forever after.

He must have had a very bad day when he heard Capello was going to be Manager of his favourite team in the whole wide world. In fact the only team he has ever been REALLY interested in.

Gerrard is just the adult version of the kid in PE who's class at everything, and all the teachers royally bum him. He's totally up himself and too blinkered to realise how all the real people can't stand the twat.

I was willing to give him a chance to the very end, more out of desperation and a lack of alternatives than anything. He does have very good natural ability that our other strikers didn't possess and like many I hoped he could help pull us out of a desperate situation. But let's be honest it's got nowt to do with recent events; ever since he arrived the lad has totally taken the piss.

It says a lot about him that we've now reached a situation where we're relieved to lose a 29 year old striker with loads of England caps for nothing.

He epitomises everything that's wrong with our club in recent times. Vastly overpriced. Vastly overpaid. Past his best. Injury prone. Poor attitude (thinks he's bigger than the club). These could be used to describe various players (and managers) in our recent history, but none moreso than Michael Owen. He is one of the worst things to have happened to this club in recent times.

Even before he arrived we weren't good enough for him in his eyes. He was pining for a move to Liverpool, and came on the condition that we put clauses in his contract so he could leg it at the first opportunity at a huge financial loss to the club. And the only reason he didn't leave was because noone wanted him, even at a much reduced price. There were various transfer windows where he undermined the club, staying silent while rumours ran throughout the national press about his departure, before committing himself when he realised noone wanted him. We can only wonder what effect this had on other players in the dressing room, who saw him given the captain's armband and in the first team regardless of form or commitment, while earning two or three times their salaries. His actions ever since he arrived have been thoroughly unprofessional. How many games did we go into without a recognise left back or a right back while Owen was sat on the treatment table commanding the salary of two or three players. There's no doubt he's been a factor in our decline.

He'll be very lucky to get a move to someone like Everton. There was a time when only his fitness was in question. Now his form and commitment are too.

I was willing to give him a chance to the very end, more out of desperation and a lack of alternatives than anything. He does have very good natural ability that our other strikers didn't possess and like many I hoped he could help pull us out of a desperate situation. But let's be honest it's got nowt to do with recent events; ever since he arrived the lad has totally taken the piss.

It says a lot about him that we've now reached a situation where we're relieved to lose a 29 year old striker with loads of England caps for nothing.

He epitomises everything that's wrong with our club in recent times. Vastly overpriced. Vastly overpaid. Past his best. Injury prone. Poor attitude (thinks he's bigger than the club). These could be used to describe various players (and managers) in our recent history, but none moreso than Michael Owen. He is one of the worst things to have happened to this club in recent times.

Even before he arrived we weren't good enough for him in his eyes. He was pining for a move to Liverpool, and came on the condition that we put clauses in his contract so he could leg it at the first opportunity at a huge financial loss to the club. And the only reason he didn't leave was because noone wanted him, even at a much reduced price. There were various transfer windows where he undermined the club, staying silent while rumours ran throughout the national press about his departure, before committing himself when he realised noone wanted him. We can only wonder what effect this had on other players in the dressing room, who saw him given the captain's armband and in the first team regardless of form or commitment, while earning two or three times their salaries. His actions ever since he arrived have been thoroughly unprofessional. How many games did we go into without a recognise left back or a right back while Owen was sat on the treatment table commanding the salary of two or three players. There's no doubt he's been a factor in our decline.

He'll be very lucky to get a move to someone like Everton. There was a time when only his fitness was in question. Now his form and commitment are too.

Good post. Completely agree.

I think he will have to have a hell of a good start to the season before he would get an England recall, he is done! Only he cannot see it, will he take a 50% wage cut to go to Everton? not a fkn chance, will Rafa decide to take him back to Pool no fkn way.

Had the little c*** signed the new deal we offered him we would be crippled now, coz I bet there would have been no relegation claus in it. Maybe he should just fkn retire and go do his horse thing, its obvious he loves it more than he loves football.

Any manager worth his salt will go for Martins before Owen, especially one as shrewd as David Moyes.

You would think so right.

Beware the lure of the English player who can do know wrong unlike all those evil, diving foreigners.