Portsmouth vs Newcastle - 14/12/08 - Pre Match Thread

Decky

This would be my line up if butt and guthrie are still injured:

--------------------Given----------------------

Beye------Taylor------Bassong------Enrique

Jonas-------Colo------Geremi-------Zoggy

---------Owen -------Martins--------

We are playing away from home, I would go for a steady/defensive centre midfield and our creativity down the wings with licence to head forward for our full backs. Good balance...

This would be my line up if butt and guthrie are still injured:

--------------------Given----------------------

Beye------Taylor------Bassong------Enrique

Jonas-------Colo------Geremi-------Zoggy

---------Owen -------Martins--------

We are playing away from home, I would go for a steady/defensive centre midfield and our creativity down the wings with licence to head forward for our full backs. Good balance...

I'd probably go 4-5-1/4-3-3 against Pompey away from home but JK won't,  He'll probably play this.

------------------------Given

Beye--------Colo------------Bassong----Jose

Jonas------Geremi---------Cacapa------Duff

-------------Owen-----------Martins(Sub 60 for viduka)

I wouldnt mind seeing:

Given

Beye Colo Bassong Enrique

Geremi

Jonas              Zoggy  Duff

Owen      Martins

Although I'm not sure how Geremi would be able to cope with little defensive assistance.

I'm not overly a fan of Zoggy in central midfield either, but we are pretty stretched there at the moment. I've just read that Guthrie actually has more chance of making the game than Duff anyways, so I'd just stick Zoggy on the left and guthrie in the middle.

Given

Beye        Coloccini     Bassong   Enrique

Geremi    Guthrie    Zog

Jonas

Oba            Owen

Jonas in the free role allowed to wonder.

Wonder what might have been had a he joined Chelsea or something?

Given

Beye        Coloccini     Bassong   Enrique

Geremi    Guthrie    Zog

Jonas

Oba            Owen

Jonas in the free role allowed to wonder.

i'd have liked that idea before jonas's central role in the 2nd half last week. now i'm not at all sure. i'd probs keep him out wide for sunday.

It's not fixed in stone that he has to stay in the middle, I just put him there to make it look more balanced. I'd hope he'd drift out wide on both flanks and cut in as that's his forte. He can be quite slippery too, pops up in strange positions sometimes which gives the opposition something different to think about, which we desperately need as there's no interchanging going on in the rest of the team.

It's not fixed in stone that he has to stay in the middle, I just put him there to make it look more balanced. I'd hope he'd drift out wide on both flanks and cut in as that's his forte. He can be quite slippery too, pops up in strange positions sometimes which gives the opposition something different to think about, which we desperately need as there's no interchanging going on in the rest of the team.

I would just leave him out wide which would give us the same starting line up as against Stoke which did ok until Guthrie went off. Added to that, Jonas offers good protection down the flanks when he's out wide. That was another sucker punch when JK's brain imploded with his barmy substitutions, we not only lost Beye at right back, we lost the guy in front of him as well.

I'd pick the same team that got clean sheets away at Chelsea and Boro, but with Geremi in the side. Common sense imo, the team should pick itself.

Given

Beye  Coloccini  Bassong  Enrique

Jonas  Geremi  Guthrie  N'Zogbia

Martins  Owen

Guest Jawesome

Fuck me, we are going to get relegated aren't we?

:lol:

What? :idiot2:

Wait and see...

Wait and see what?

Wait and see us get relegated.

Bassong is doubtful now, as well:

The Newcastle United boss says he will assess midfield pair Nicky Butt and Danny Guthrie' date=' attackers Damien Duff and Shola Ameobi plus defender Sebastien Bassong before naming his squad for the trip to Fratton Park.[/quote']

That'll see Taylor re-instated as number one man, then. Until he gets injured (suspended) again and Seb can have another chance.

Depends on how Taylor performs I'd say. If he comes in and has a cracking game, he should keep his place. If he has a shitter, I'd imagine Bassong will be reinstated.

:frantic: :frantic: :frantic:

Bassong facing a late test on injury

Dec 13 2008 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

SEBASTIEN BASSONG is the latest player to be hit by Newcastle United’s injury jinx going into tomorrow’s encounter at Portsmouth.

The defender is now regarded as doubtful for the clash at Fratton Park after impressing in the side in the previous two away trips, with clean sheets at Chelsea and Middlesbrough.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/12/13/bassong-facing-a-late-test-on-injury-72703-22468497/