Portsmouth 0 - 3 Newcastle United - 14/12/08 - Post match jubilation from p20

Dave

My impressions:

Pompey's midfield didn't like it when we put a bit of pressure on, in contrast, Butt & Guthrie were actually quite composed when their 2 midf's tried to close them down. Owen dropping deep a bit in the 1st half provided a good option, we had an eatra player in the middle which helped.

It seemed to me that their defence held a deeper line than ours, i think we felt a bit more confident about dealing with a ball over the top. I think Distin & Campbell were decent enough but their FB's positioning and ball watching cost them.

Their wide men did f**k all, ours got involved, Zog more so in the 2nd half.

It seemed to me that the 1st goal was always going to come from a mistake, opportunism rather creativity.

Couldn't understand BBC sport saying Pompey should have been 3 up by half time. Just cause you have a crack at goal doesn't mean you should've scored. I can only really think of one shot that Defoe had where i thought he should have done better but i think on the whole we handled him well, kept his opportunities to half chances. He had a decent shout for a penalty though imo, he did Bassong tbf, was good to see Ricky straight there though, if Defoe had of got past Bassong then i think Ricky would've made a tackle.

Didn't like seeing Stretch toe poke the ball past Colo and then run round him either but the other 3 covered him well. That pass straight to Defoe as well, jesus...

We were better than them, simple as. All this 'lucky' business is bollox. You don't lose 0-3 at home if you're the better team.

'What a f***ing finish!!!!'

must've just had the helicopter waxed

;D ;D

This exaggerated praise for anything Owen does is driving me mad. It was a gilt-edged chance, set up by another player. It only became a difficult chance when he miscontrolled the ball.

If Shola had missed it, everyone would be screaming for his head.

'What a f***ing finish!!!!'

must've just had the helicopter waxed

;D ;D

This exaggerated praise for anything Owen does is driving me mad. It was a gilt-edged chance, set up by another player. It only became a difficult chance when he miscontrolled the ball.

If Shola had missed it, everyone would be screaming for his head.

if anyone apart from n'zog had missed it we'd all have been calling for their head.

anyone notice how jfk said jokingly that he got the substitutions right this time, heh, at least he knows he fucked up in the last match. Hopefully he'll learn from that :)

bring on spurs, I can see this being a right battle

But he didn't miss did he.......!!!

I'm not saying he didn't score. I'm just saying that it wasn't the fantastic piece of work that most people seem to have persuaded themselves to think.

FFS, he was one on one on the goalkeeper, inside the penalty area,  in ten yards of space when he received the ball. You'd back any Premiership striker to score from that position.

I'm not saying he didn't score. I'm just saying that it wasn't the fantastic piece of work that most people seem to have persuaded themselves to think.

FFS, he was one on one on the goalkeeper, inside the penalty area,  in ten yards of space when he received the ball. You'd back any Premiership striker to score from that position.

i didnt persuade myself, i watched it and thought 'thats a cracking finish' because it was a cracking finish

The finish itself (not the first touch), really was class, I fail to see how you can't see that.

Once the first touch took the ball wide and allowed James to close the distance it became an extremely difficult chance, and 9 times out of 10 the average striker will miss those. The chip was genius and it's those sort of finishes which seperate the class strikers from the hit-and-hopers for me.

FFS, he was one on one on the goalkeeper, inside the penalty area, in ten yards of space when he received the ball. You'd back any Premiership striker to score from that position.

I can't think of one who would have finished it after the bad first touch, the only way it could have gone in was the dink.

I can't think of one who would have finished it after the bad first touch, the only way it could have gone in was the dink.

Robbie Keane (spurs) would have

And me in five a side

I have also read a couple of reports where they insinuate that we we were lucky that they didn-t put their chances away???

I didn-t see any of these clear cut chances, shots from outside the area and a couple of half chances where our defenders got the better of them. Really does pish me off, we played well and deserved the plaudits but since everybody has an agenda....

Guest firetotheworks

Reminded me of Bernards finish against Chelsea a few seasons back. That was a class finish just like Owens was yesterday.

Wonderful result, good performance. Plenty of areas to be happy about; clean sheet, three goals (two from strikers) and it was away. However, it's only as good as our next result, we must prove we can string a few wins together.

Also, it's no suprise to see that we are picking up clean sheets with a settled back four. Telling in my eyes.

Robbie Keane (spurs) would have

And me in five a side

I'm just relieved he didn't score Guthrie's goal. This thread would have reached 100 pages by now.  ;)