Proposed new Spurs stadium

Syrette

Guest elbee909

http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2007/10/toilet_house.jpg

Where's the lid?  Like the sloping pitch though, that's cool.

Guest Howaythetoon

I'm glad we never moved from SJP when it was proposed. I'll sacrifice a few thousand seats for playing on the same grass we always have.

That's the point isn't it.

I've watched Villa for over 30 years now, and even now when I go to the match, I think about the generations and generations of my family (right back to when the club moved there) who stood and watched us play on that exact same patch of grass.

The oldest stand in the ground wasn't even built when I started going, but even given that, take the club away from there and you break something which you cant fix again.

I don't care if Aston is a gun ridden ghetto miles away from where I live, I don't care if the area is deprived and struggling, I don't care if the public transport network makes it hard to get to, i don't care about any of it, that's the card we were dealt, that's where the club belongs, and that rectangle of grass is where we should be playing our matches.

Clubs who move to identikit stadia on ring roads want their f***ing heads looking at.

The Baseball Ground was an incredibly intimidating place to go to, as was Ayresome Park, as was Roker Park at times. Look at the history Bolton had at their old ground.

All pissed away so middle class twonks can get to matches with the same ease they'd use for an afternoon at IKEA.

I'm no class warrior (I'm middle class myself, by any definition), but it really does break your heart.

I was in Aston the other week and passed your wonderful stadium, love Villa Park - fave stadium outside of SJP.

Guest Howaythetoon

I'm glad we never moved from SJP when it was proposed. I'll sacrifice a few thousand seats for playing on the same grass we always have.

Same here.

Guest Howaythetoon

Whenever I see new stadiums like this proposed Spurs one and the one that the dippers were on about making, I think of SJP and smile. I love our stadium so much.

Envy of the Premier League and that's just speaking to away fans who love how its so central and can been seen from anywhere. You could never get lost on the way to the match and when you fall out of the ground you are 5 minutes away from the motorways, central or a host of bars and things to do. I fucking love SJP.

Whenever I see new stadiums like this proposed Spurs one and the one that the dippers were on about making, I think of SJP and smile. I love our stadium so much.

Envy of the Premier League and that's just speaking to away fans who love how its so central and can been seen from anywhere. You could never get lost on the way to the match and when you fall out of the ground you are 5 minutes away from the motorways, central or a host of bars and things to do. I fucking love SJP.

Love it.

one thing i dont like about stadiums like this, where the outside and roof is all joined up as a bowl, is that they look like theyd be impossible to extend further. i prefer the piecemeal nature of SJP more, gives the ground character and is more adaptable for the future.

one thing i dont like about stadiums like this, where the outside and roof is all joined up as a bowl, is that they look like theyd be impossible to extend further. i prefer the piecemeal nature of SJP more, gives the ground character and is more adaptable for the future.

SJP could only really have another few thousand added onto it though. Not like we will need it any time soon mind. Really makes you think that if Shepherd was still here, the Gallowgate may be under construction right now to make it level 7.

Not being biased but I've got to agree about SJP being the best stadium in the country for atmosphere*, heritage and character. As well as other things such as its location. It's like a church on the top of a hill really isn't it?

OK so I am being biased.

edit; * (on a good day, admittedly)

Not being biased but I've got to agree about SJP being the best stadium in the country for atmosphere.

OK so I am being biased.

:no:

Not anymore it's not, when everyone is up for it, and a bit of the so-called 'Geordie injustice' has taken place then IMO we can't be beaten. Or like for example the Chelsea home game a few seasons ago when Titus scored.

Not being biased but I've got to agree about SJP being the best stadium in the country for atmosphere.

OK so I am being biased.

Not anymore it's not, when everyone is up for it, and a bit of the so-called 'Geordie injustice' has taken place then IMO we can't be beaten. Or like for example the Chelsea home game a few seasons ago when Titus scored.

Yeah, I meant that though, at its best it is the best for atmosphere in my humble opinion. When I first started going to home games (SBR era) it was amazing.

OK so I am being biased.

There's loads of little moments where I remember the noise being mental. Even this season, when Shay saved that penalty against Bolton the noise was deafening.

Not being biased but I've got to agree about SJP being the best stadium in the country for atmosphere*, heritage and character. As well as other things such as its location. It's like a church on the top of a hill really isn't it?

OK so I am being biased.

edit; * (on a good day, admittedly)

It reminds me more of a castle, they used to sit above settlements and say "I'm the boss here" St James' does the same.  I always say to people when you see Newcastle's skyline you'll understand how much of an importance we put in football.

I don't think SJP is anything like the most atmospheric stadium in the top flight. To be honest, I'd expect to find the most fervour at places like Stoke City these days, places where the fans are getting more than they've had for a very long time. I also have to say that I don't really buy the whole thing about football in the region being special etc etc etc, you can find supporters of Mansfield Town or Gillingham or whoever who would say that about their own club / area.

However - bear with me - I do think that there are a few really differentiating factors about SJP / NUFC that you don't see in many similar clubs.

The obvious thing is that it is a single club city and a small city, but the club has a wide catchment area over a large area, and the club seems to have a wider influence than many others do.

You have an enormous advantage in that the ground is in the city centre, almost as if the city grows out around it. Then added to that, it is on top of a hill. Throw in to that the fact that the city covers a relatively small area, and you feel the impact of the club throughout the area.

When I lived up there, I remember being surprised the first time I heard the noise from the ground (and there were only 20k or so in it at the time, so it must be even more noticeable now) when Newcastle scored. It is like the position of the ground is like a radio beacon or something, and the whole city feels "close" to it.

When I was growing up, we lived in South Birmingham. Villa Park and my house were both within the city limits, but approx 11-12 miles apart, and with one other club closer, and another one about the same distance. There's an immediacy about SJP that you don't find in many other cities.

my only comparison is with london grounds, some of them not in the top flight, while we complain about SJP, it's almost like being in another country, so different is the atmosphere, very ,very quiet down there. also, being in the away end of another ground is a bit misleading, as youll always be hearing the noise generated by your away fans, as well as the small number of home fans in close proximity who respond. at the other end of the ground the atmosphere could seem funereal. i agree about those clubs who have just came up having the best atmosphere, but the novelty either wears off after a while, or they get relegated back to the championship. apart from those clubs, id say SJP is certainly a contender.

Guest Howaythetoon

I don't think SJP is anything like the most atmospheric stadium in the top flight. To be honest, I'd expect to find the most fervour at places like Stoke City these days, places where the fans are getting more than they've had for a very long time. I also have to say that I don't really buy the whole thing about football in the region being special etc etc etc, you can find supporters of Mansfield Town or Gillingham or whoever who would say that about their own club / area.

However - bear with me - I do think that there are a few really differentiating factors about SJP / NUFC that you don't see in many similar clubs.

The obvious thing is that it is a single club city and a small city, but the club has a wide catchment area over a large area, and the club seems to have a wider influence than many others do.

You have an enormous advantage in that the ground is in the city centre, almost as if the city grows out around it. Then added to that, it is on top of a hill. Throw in to that the fact that the city covers a relatively small area, and you feel the impact of the club throughout the area.

When I lived up there, I remember being surprised the first time I heard the noise from the ground (and there were only 20k or so in it at the time, so it must be even more noticeable now) when Newcastle scored. It is like the position of the ground is like a radio beacon or something, and the whole city feels "close" to it.

When I was growing up, we lived in South Birmingham. Villa Park and my house were both within the city limits, but approx 11-12 miles apart, and with one other club closer, and another one about the same distance. There's an immediacy about SJP that you don't find in many other cities.

Couldn't argue with any of that, spot on, especially about the atmosphere and special thing as all clubs are special in the eyes of their fans and rightly so. Being a 1 club city makes Newcastle fans perhaps more central to their club than most which can mean fans rule here and have arguably a bigger influence on their club, if not directly then certainly mood wise. Countless ex players have said it - when you're playing well and winning there is no better place to play, when you're playing bad and losing, its hell on earth because the city is so small and the club so dominant in peoples lives, you can't escape it. The pressure is also unique here which again stems from being a 1 club city. There is no pressure to win trophies like at Man Utd but there is an intense daily pressure based on the 24/7 scrutiny our local media and the fans place on the club, every minute detail gets over analysed and talked about from Joe Kinnear's comments about Enrique to Big Sam spending half a game in the stands, the other in the dugout - these nothing things go on to become big issues in Newcastle to the point where they they become not as important as the football, but certainly just as critical. This can all have a suffocating effect on the club and footballing team in my opinion. I wouldn't have it any other way of course.

• 10 months later...

They have changed the design slightly and included a single tier stand at one end, planning application has gone in to Haringey Council.

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/6985/spuds.jpg

that looks class tbh, like the way the fans are close to the pitch aswell, makes a massive difference