The Roflham Lolspurs Thread

Willow

There problem is not the first eleven, that is good enough. But there problem is that they aren´t rotating anything and the first eleven looks tired and will of course be in big problems with injures, that they have been very lucky with.

It would be cool and very welcoming if they win. BUT I would also be very jealous. It could have been us!

They sure as hell didn't look tired last night.

As for the rest of the squad, it's also strong. Not as strong as the starters but that's the same for every side. When you have players who are in no way guaranteed starters like Kranjcar, Pienaar, Pav, Defoe, and Sandro available to come in and do a good job, you're going to do well. Livermore came in yesterday and was outstanding. As Cronky has said, their defence looks as solid as it has been for a long time.

Spurs are the real deal. They won't win the thing this year but they are firmly establishing themselves as a serious top 4 (I'd argue top 3) team.

Yep, they are legit.

Aside fom Modric. They could cope with medium term injuries to their first XI. Harry rotated the side for cup games so there's little reason for them to tire. Bale for example, has played 18 games this season. Evra has played 25.

Doubt they'll win it. Their goals come from everywhere but none of their strikers are prolific. I reckon every title winning side needs someone to rescue a sticky situation. I don't think Spurs have a Ronaldo, Rooney or even an Aguero. But they'll be up there in the end. I wouldn't bet against them snatching it. Neither Manchester side are that good.

They're still short of a striker really. Defoe/Pav aren't good enough to play that lone/main striker role to the level Spurs would need if they were to lose Adebayor. They'll comfortably finish top 4, most likely 3rd, but I don't think they'll finish above the Manchester sides this season.

They're still short of a striker really. Defoe/Pav aren't good enough to play that lone/main striker role to the level Spurs would need if they were to lose Adebayor. They'll comfortably finish top 4, most likely 3rd, but I don't think they'll finish above the Manchester sides this season.

Can't really argue with any of that but we'll see on  22nd Jan when Defoe will be leading the line against City at the Etihad.  I'll be surprised if Pav hasn't gone this window and is replaced by either Leandro or Remy.  A CB is the other priority, looks like Cahill will go to Chelsea and Harry prefers Samba to Vertonghen.  Surprising tbh.

Yep, they are legit.

Aside fom Modric. They could cope with medium term injuries to their first XI. Harry rotated the side for cup games so there's little reason for them to tire. Bale for example, has played 18 games this season. Evra has played 25.

Doubt they'll win it. Their goals come from everywhere but none of their strikers are prolific. I reckon every title winning side needs someone to rescue a sticky situation. I don't think Spurs have a Ronaldo, Rooney or even an Aguero. But they'll be up there in the end. I wouldn't bet against them snatching it. Neither Manchester side are that good.

I'd argue they have no natural replacement for Lennon, Pienarr is supposed to be that but while Lennons been injured he's shoved VDV out there which is a bit square peg in round hole.

Surely with the position Spurs are in they should be looking to bring in a couple of really top class players and not looking at players from Bolton and Blackburn. They might never get a better opportunity and they were dealing in the £10m-£16m range when they weren't even in the top 4, so they should be able to push the boat out a bit more now and be able to attract top quality.

Well at this level, how much does a really top class player cost? Bent went for 18M rising to 24M. Our targets are Leandro and Remy, I believe, both of whom will probably go for 20M or so, or more.

The problem is that we've hit something of a financial ceiling, and the key issue is wages. When we were building the squad, we were still recouping money in sales and we had a fair few players on lowish wages.  That allowed us to invest money in new transfers - successful (Modric) and unsuccessful (Bentley). Right now, we are probably at our limit as far as wages go (and with a full squad), so we have to sell to buy. It's all very well saying that we have to look at top class players, but to pay a wage of, say, 80Kpw we'd have to find that money somewhere. The next opportunity is to shift Jenas and Bentley, then probably Pav and Dos Santos (and Bassong?), but then what? Ledley and Gallas will probably free up some wages next year, but you have a whole raft of players whose wages are going to be steadily increasing (Walker, possibly Livermore, Bale, Caulker, Sandro etc etc etc) and again, that money has to come from somewhere. That's why getting shot of Smith and that Spanish guy (whose name escapes me) should allow you to bolster your squad.

The consensus at Spurs is that Levy has managed to square the circle by making our contracts heavily incentivised. Our wage bill went through the roof when we got into the CL, but we believe that this was due to massive bonuses for VDV, Modric et al. Then the suspicion is that Modric's pay dropped massively (no CL money) and, of course, Chelsea can double his basic wage. In our position, like yourselves, we have to look at Blackburn, or Bolton, or Huddersfield, or the French teams who aren't PSG, because they are the wages we can afford to pay. To get a big-earning player like (half of) Adebayor, we have to sell Keane/Crouch/Palacios. There isn't that much dead wood left.

There problem is not the first eleven, that is good enough. But there problem is that they aren´t rotating anything and the first eleven looks tired and will of course be in big problems with injures, that they have been very lucky with.

It would be cool and very welcoming if they win. BUT I would also be very jealous. It could have been us!

It's a bit irritating to hear that we've been very lucky with injuries, when Man City have barely had any all season. Man U have been decimated, as has Arsenal's defence, but we have also lost Huddlestone, Dawson, King, Gallas, Lennon, Defoe, VDV and Sandro at various times. Against Everton, we were missing King and Gallas at CB and Sandro and Parker at DCM - thankfully Livermore stepped up (and Everton were toothless). 'arry has made a couple of strange decisions regarding rotation (we just cannot fathom why he never tries Kranjcar in VDV's position), but the decision to play comedy sides in the Europa seems to have been vindicated. As others have said, our first XI actually haven't played that many games. VDV has played 17. Van Persie has played 23.

I'd f***ing hate them to win the league, with Redknapp or otherwise.

I get it, obviously, but I will say this. If we are still there or thereabouts in the last couple of games, surely it is a massive incentive for clubs like yourselves. It shows that it is possible, even if you don't have a sugar daddy or massive matchday/merchandising income, and even if Fair Play is nothing but a pipe dream. Without a new stadium it will be impossible for us to sustain that success next year (competing in CL and the League? Not a chance), but it will have been worth it.

Spurs' playing staff are quite likeable and enjoyable to watch. But Tottenham, as a football club, winning the Premiership? I shudder at the thought.

Never understood the dislike of Spurs themselves. Purely twitchy ballbags that my dislike is born from.

My ex is a Spurs fan, I went to a couple of games with her when I lived in London and was lucky once that I didn't get a hiding when I stood up and shouted w***** at Gus Poyet when came over to take a corner next to were I was sitting (I had completely forgot where I was), I suppose it was a stroke of luck I had ended up sitting next to the disabled section and anyone who noticed me probably thought I had tourettes and was there with my carer.

leffe is doing a good job of making me like them more. I would have enjoyed them getting relegated five years ago but now they're actually all right, with the exception of Harry. I don't think they'll win the title, but it'll be interesting. I also look at them as a model for how to develop our club, except of course realising that our stadium gives us a massive advantage. If we ever reach where they are now, we should be able to push on and unlike them, have some room financially to challenge the bigger clubs. They will struggle until they get a new stadium.

It's nice to see a different team up there challenging for the title, sick of seeing the same old 2/3 teams battling it out every season.

Harry's face let's the whole thing down though, hangs too much, and in HD it's disgusting.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/9012347/Harry-Redknapp-Im-proud-Tottenham-are-thriving-without-spending-like-Manchester-City.html

Harry Redknapp: I'm proud Tottenham are thriving without spending like Manchester City

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp has spoken of his pride at building a title-chasing team without matching Manchester City's spending.

All for one: Spurs have built a title-chasing side based on team work rather than spending a fortune Photo: EPA

By Telegraph staff10:15AM GMT 13 Jan 20125 Comments

Tottenham have flourished under Redknapp's leadership and are now level with Manchester United and three behind table-topping City after 20 matches.

Their side has been put together for a fraction of the money lavished on Roberto Mancini's squad by the club's mega-rich owners - a fact clearly not lost on Redknapp.

"City are where they are because of Sheikh Mansour and Chelsea thanks to Roman Abramovich," he said.

"We have not done it that way and it makes me proud. You don't have to go out and spend fortunes to find good players.

"Spurs are not third in the Premier League because someone has walked through the door at White Hart Lane and slapped a bundle of money on my desk.

"Rafael van der Vaart has been our biggest signing in the past 18 months and he cost £8 million."

"City can pay players £200,000 a week, it's unbelievable. The people running Spurs have invested wisely.

"Some of the players we brought in raised eyebrows, like Younes Kaboul, but he's made excellent progress. Hopefully it is coming together now."

Spurs were also able to pick up Scott Parker from relegated West Ham for what has proved a snip at £5m, brought in Brad Friedel on a free from Aston Villa and signed Emmanuel Adebayor on loan from City.

"What we have done is built a team, you don't need mega amounts of money to do that — unless you want to put together a team in 24 hours of course," Redknapp added.

Awww, didn't know Harry persuaded all of his players to play for free.

I'm sure one of the Spurs lads can fill in the details, but I'm hugely impressed by how Levy is running the club. Consistently getting excellent prices for departing players I assume means Spurs are in a position to splash out where necessary. They've certainly had plenty of money to invest and move forward but a lot of it - or at least that's the impression I'm given - is down to how well the club is run, not that Levy himself has a massive fortune to pump into the club.

A lot of people on here seem to hate them out of jealousy.  Bit bizarre really. 

They play good football, they don't spend like f*** and it's not like they're a local rival.  No reason to hate them.

Spot on.  I live fairly local to them, so a lot of my mates are Spurs fans.  I've never enjoyed the trip to WHL, because we are usually shite and the area is a bit of a dive.  Still, they play some quality football, have some exciting players and it makes a change seeing another team up there challenging. 

I'd never hear the end of it from my mates, but I'd love to see them win it over a City, Chelsea, Man U or Liverpool.

Oh, I can't stand Redknapp, or any of their coaching staff for that matter, but it's not enough to massively dislike the whole club.

I'm sure one of the Spurs lads can fill in the details, but I'm hugely impressed by how Levy is running the club. Consistently getting excellent prices for departing players I assume means Spurs are in a position to splash out where necessary. They've certainly had plenty of money to invest and move forward but a lot of it - or at least that's the impression I'm given - is down to how well the club is run, not that Levy himself has a massive fortune to pump into the club.

Very true, wish our club would take note.

They play good football, they don't spend like f*** and it's not like they're a local rival.  No reason to hate them.

I would not agree that it stems from jealousy.

They were disliked equally as much back when Robson had us in the Top 4 and we were a far better team/position.

I would not agree that it stems from jealousy.

They were disliked equally as much back when Robson had us in the Top 4 and we were a far better team/position.

My dislike of them is purely down to their fans (and Redknapp). They are a great team to watch at the moment though and they are a bit of an inspiration to what can be achieved in this day and age (though it doesn't matter as we have Ashley who will never spend the money properly).