The Roflham Lolspurs Thread

Willow

Guest Phil K

And there's only 4 places for the Champions League, doesn't state that 4th place automatically gets it but you assume that the winner comes from that 4...which happens most of the time as well with at least one of the cups so finishing 6th is 95% of the time a safe assumption that you'll be in Europe.

Still believe it's a bit daft calling it "Champions League" and three quarters of the teams in it AREN'T.

Really? What an interesting observation.

Not unusual, I know.  ;D

Remember the furore by Man Yoo fans when we got in as 2nd to them, then it was all fine and dandy when they won it in 98 when they were caught by Arsenal after being further ahead than WE were with the infamous 12 point lead ?

Guest Phil K

suppose they'd argue the winners are Champions at the end, and it's a partial league format :lol:

The reason for it was obviously money first, money second, and money third.

Oh, and money too.  :whistle:

There's no difference to finishing 4th and missing out on Champions League due to unexpected European results, to finishing 6th and missing Europa League. It's tough s*** basically.

a s*** rule relating to 2 competitions is still a s*** rule

It's not a s*** rule though. You know at the beginning that there's 4 places for the Champions League and 3 places for Europa League. You know the criteria for getting in to both from day one of the season.

Eh? There's only one league place for the Europa League. It's completely different.

And there's only 4 places for the Champions League, doesn't state that 4th place automatically gets it but you assume that the winner comes from that 4...which happens most of the time as well with at least one of the cups so finishing 6th is 95% of the time a safe assumption that you'll be in Europe.

There's a fundamental difference there though - if you finish 6th and don't get into the UEFA Cup, it's your own fault because you didn't win either of the other two primary places by winning the FA Cup or the League Cup. Everybody knows you have to hope for those things to happen for 6th to be available - your 95% figure is way off - 6th wasn't enough in 3 of the last 5 seasons including this one as Chelsea didn't qualify via the league, they took the FA Cup place and would not have qualified if they hadn't been in the final.

Spurs could have absolutely no effect on what happened in the Champions League and yet have still missed out.

Guest Phil K

Spurs could have absolutely no effect on what happened in the Champions League and yet have still missed out.

Hang on though.

Theres been precedence.

Didn't Liverpool demand qualification as holders, while not in top 4, (Everton were 4th)

But Everton DID get in (and lose in) the qualifying rounds, so it happened then, why not now ?

Hang on though.

Theres been precedence.

Didn't Liverpool demand qualification as holders, while not in top 4, (Everton were 4th)

But Everton DID get in (and lose in) the qualifying rounds, so it happened then, why not now ?

UEFA changed the rules as a result of that.

Guest Phil K

UEFA changed the rules as a result of that.

Liverpool demanding special treatment, eh ?

Who'd have thought ?  :rolleyes:  ;D

Guest Tyson

Lee Ryder @lee_ryder

As a respected Chief Sports Writer it is my job to remain objective. I can't let my guard down, and allow emotion to cloud my judgment and assessment. However, when Nigerian ace Didier Drogba equilised and later knocked in the winning penalty, and with it dashing Spurs' CL dreams. LOL.

It's not like the PL has some god-given right to the top 4 making it, plenty of leagues like in France or the Netherlands have less teams make it, and it's always been clearly stated that only the top 3 are guaranteed a spot from the premier league. If you are talking about the fairness of being told there were 4 spots and then losing one just after the season was over, it's not like Spurs and Arsenal didn't know the possibility existed during their run-up. Every team was well aware of the possibility beforehand, so they were all playing by the same rules.

In any case, even if they did want to add Spurs for the money, how would they add one team into the qualifying rounds? Would you add them at the expense of a team that came in 2nd in a smaller league, or force some random team into a playoff with Spurs to just get into the qualifying round? How would that be any more fair?

Having said that, if we had finished 4th, I know I'd be up in arms right now screaming at the injustice of it all. :lol:

The fair thing would be to have a play off between Spurs and Chelsea. Winners in the CL, losers in Europa. Each gets a chance.

Only problem with that is it sort of degrades the Europa league i.e. 'you have lost, you must endure the horrors of the EUROPA LEAGUE' sort of thing.

The fair thing would be to have a play off between Spurs and Chelsea. Winners in the CL, losers in Europa. Each gets a chance.

defo - either a one off game at the end of the season, or a one off game at start of the season. put it at wembley - will get a massive crowd, help pay for the costs etc, and most importantly as u say both team get a chance of CL football. chelsea get a chance to defend their title, while spurs dont miss out completely. you could also have made this a special 2nd qualifying 2 legged game (the round before spurs would have entered, had chelsea not have won it.