The Roflham Lolspurs Thread

Willow

And this...not so "right on" comic.

"Why is David Baddiel being given a platform to talk about prejudice? Baddiel and his partner Frank Skinner spent the mid-90s ridiculing the ethnic appearance of the black striker Jason Lee. For the crime of choosing to not look white, and instead embracing the combination locks and cornrows iconography of his ethnic heritage, Lee was ridiculed as a "pineapple head", as looking "like an ancient Egyptian" and – incredibly – via Baddiel "blacking-up". Viewers were even encouraged to send in pictures mocking Lee's appearance.

God knows how much damage this did to a generation of young black school children. Professor Ben Carrington in Football's coming home but whose home? and do we want it? P108 noted how this abuse "transcended the normally insular world of football fandom and entered into the public domain as both a descriptive term and a form of ridicule for any black person with dreads tied back". Taking its lead from Baddiel and Skinner, the Sun even pictured Lee with bananas growing out of his head.

The myth of black primitivism is an enduring racist theme. The assumption that black identity exists to be performed for white people's amusement only goes back to the minstrel tradition. Both racist tropes permeated Baddiel's mockery of Lee. Yet we're now supposed to take lessons in anti-racism from the man? "

Dr Gavin Lewis

:anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish:

Guest bimpy474

This is going to get hijacked by every pompus prat going.

Jason Lee got the mick taken because his hair looked like a pineapple, it had nothing to do with his race or skin colour. God this is going to silly.

Guest firetotheworks

I wouldn't pretend to understand it all, but from the outside it seems incredibly weird to criticise people for something that they're calling themselves. I generally don't agree with Political Correctness gone mad, but that really would be. Baddiel's quotes were properly irritating as well. Fair enough, have an opinion, but to speak on behalf of every Jew, when the question is being asked in the first place because there's quite clearly a prominent, opposing view from other Jews is self-important and disrespectful.

Guest firetotheworks

People saying 'The N word' is irritating as well. You're essentially saying the word by saying that any way. There's a class Louis CK stand-up about it, if anyone can find the link.

I've come to the conclusion that it's only Van Persie stopping me from thinking Spurs have a comfortably better team than Man Utd. As it is, it's close - such is Van Persie's value to Man Utd.

With a manager now not currently able to make Man Utd better than the sum of their parts, Spurs should very realistically be looking to finish above them this season.

I've come to the conclusion that it's only RVP from stopping me being 100% confident in the belief that Spurs have a comfortably better team than Man Utd.

The midfield department Spurs piss all over Man Utd's, the rest i'd still have Man Utd's line up.

I've come to the conclusion that it's only Van Persie stopping me from thinking Spurs have a comfortably better team than Man Utd. As it is, it's close - such is Van Persie's value to Man Utd.

With a manager now not currently able to make Man Utd better than the sum of their parts, Spurs should very realistically be looking to finish above them this season.

Spurs squad is starting to look ridiculously good. Waiting to see how strong AVB is mentally before deciding if they're that good though!

There's next to nothing separating the title-chasers in terms of personnel, imo. They all have brilliant teams and they all have particular players that stand out above the rest (in my eyes: Ozil, Mata, Yaya, RvP and - at this stage it looks like - Erikson). Never have the managers been so important as this year, imo - it really is gonna be a case of which team gels the best. I'm really enjoying the chase so far, honestly don't know who is going to win it but I think Spurs have a very real chance.

The biggest difference between Spurs and the usual title challengers is mental.

Man Utd, Chelsea and Man City have been there and done that but Spurs squad is full of either kids or players who haven't won anything.

That will make a big impact as the season goes on.

Of course. But so far the signs are they have the toughness to go with the immense talent their squad has, the win at Cardiff being a prime example. Old Spurs might have drawn that, even lost 1-0 and claimed bad luck. As it is, they kept creating chances and quality - again - told.

I think Man Utd will recover but it really is Van Persie or nothing for them. If he's in form, he'll carry Man Utd to a decent-ish season. If he gets injured or doesn't score with such consistency, they're in big trouble.

Also, let's not get caught up in the mystical notion Man Utd's defence is vastly superior to Spurs - something I've seen inferred a few times recently. As though just because Spurs are good to watch, they must automatically have a leaky defence.

Spurs have conceded 1 goal in 8 games. Man Utd have conceded 8 in 7. Granted, Man Utd have had harder games, but the point clearly stands.

Is there any word on how long Rose is meant to be out for? He could be a really big player for them, if only to keep Vertonghen central (assuming he was LB against Cardiff, or was it Naughton?)

Supposedly there is no fracture, and he could even be back for the Chelsea match.

Yeah, Naughton played against Cardiff, and he doesn't exactly inspire much confidence. I'd have liked to keep BAE, but it's clear AVB doesn't rate him as FAB.