West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Carroll is utter dross and league 1 would be about his level. 

:facepalm:

To be fair it wasn't long ago when everyone was slating him and saying he wasn't good enough. He'll always get given more of a chance for being young and local and people seem not to care about his attitude and violence problems that they would if it was someone else.

What i like about Carroll is that he tries to shoot when he gets the opportunity and easily one of the best headers at the club, in defence and attack.

Doesn't shoot enough for me. Had a great opportunity to pull the trigger with his right foot on Saturday and checked back instead. Shouldn't be having to do that imo.

What i like about Carroll is that he tries to shoot when he gets the opportunity and easily one of the best headers at the club, in defence and attack.

Doesn't shoot enough for me. Had a great opportunity to pull the trigger with his right foot on Saturday and checked back instead. Shouldn't be having to do that imo.

Should have followed Duff's example. ;)

Should have followed Duff's example. ;)

I agree. Duff's a good example of someone who isn't scared to use his wrong foot. What is a pity is that both his feet are largely useless. :razz:

I know a lad who used to play for our reserves, who knows Andy Carroll well, and is a member of this forum.

Well, according to my mate Chris, Andy Carroll wants to know who Lee Stewart is  :lol: :lol:

Guest Stephen927

I said that yesterday only to be told he is left footed, mustn't be too confident with his right.

Guest Heneage

I'm sure Lee Stewart wrote on Andy Carroll's wall the other day. He mentioned about being from Bensham but not a Newcastle fan.

Guest Clapton

A few years back Keegan converted Steve Howey from a mediocre striker to an England-calibre centre half.  In the long term, that might be the best plan for Carroll.  He's unlikely ever to be much more than a journeyman bruiser/plank type striker in the tradition of Billy Whitehurst, Tony Cunningham, George Reilly etc.  Not pacy enough, poor touch, no finesse, doesn't seem like the most quick-thinking.  But with his aerial ability, size, strength and generally belligerent attitude, I reckon he could be developed into a dominating - even intimidating - center half.  A Materazzi type player maybe (or at worst a McNamee type) - sort of the opposite of Coloccini.  He'd still score goals, from headers at corners and free kicks.

A few years back Keegan converted Steve Howey from a mediocre striker to an England-calibre centre half.  In the long term, that might be the best plan for Carroll.  He's unlikely ever to be much more than a journeyman bruiser/plank type striker in the tradition of Billy Whitehurst, Tony Cunningham, George Reilly etc.  Not pacy enough, poor touch, no finesse, doesn't seem like the most quick-thinking.  But with his aerial ability, size, strength and generally belligerent attitude, I reckon he could be developed into a dominating - even intimidating - center half.  A Materazzi type player maybe (or at worst a McNamee type) - sort of the opposite of Coloccini.  He'd still score goals, from headers at corners and free kicks.

He's played there before in the lesser levels of the club. Wouldn't be against it unless it means shola gets more games.

What I liked about Carroll in last Saturday's match was his dropping into midfield and being able to make play for us decently. I think he is a better player with the ball than most give him credit for, because he obviously possesses one great strength above all others. We need to find a striker to pair him with and play to their combined strengths and drop Ameobi sharpish.

Guest Walking in a waddle wonde

Wor Nile? Lua Lua? Vučkić or even Ngo Baheng would do a better job than Shola. (I know we know this just hoping CH reads this)

it's a fair call, but it generally assumes that any footballer with a bit of presence can play in defence. Defending is an art in itself, you need to be the most intelligent player on the park to play centre-half (effectively), which is one of the reasons so many of them end up captaining. Pace is also becoming an absolute must for central defenders in the modern game, Carroll has none.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

He was putting the effort in vs WBA but he was in midefield and all sorts winning the ball when we needed him in the box!

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Shola was pretty poor but he played his part in the goal setting up Nolan to lay off to Duff. Hopefully he'll do better against even worse teams.

I daresay Carroll's performance on Saturday was akin to Shearer circa 02-04 sorta time. Coming deep and collecting the ball, flicking balls on, being a general big nuisance.

What i'd give to have Big Al tutoring him this season.

Nah, Shearer rarely did the donkey work as far back as 2002. Shearer 04-06 would probably be more accurate. The problems when coaching Carroll to be a Shearer type players would be a poor first touch and no eye for clinical positioning. He'll do a job this season but I'm not expecting a huge amount from him.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Nah, Shearer rarely did the donkey work as far back as 2002. Shearer 04-06 would probably be more accurate. The problems when coaching Carroll to be a Shearer type players would be a poor first touch and no eye for clinical positioning. He'll do a job this season but I'm not expecting a huge amount from him.

Think thats one of the few things he has going for him to be fair. Good in the air, decent first touch and links up the play, just needs to learn to drive forward and shoot.