West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

He wins balls in the air but has nothing about him as a footballer, doesn't look like a striker to me at all

He has an ok first touch and can hold the ball up but it is certainly worrying that he doesn't seem to provide a goal threat at all from open play.

Still early days for him yet mind but he has a lot to learn.

People seem to forget that he's only 20.

at 20 a striker should be able to at least look dangerous man. Like there's some remote chance of scoring a goal.

He works hard and is good in the air but i'm perplexed as to why he's been identified as a striker

Guest Heneage

Also, Darren Purse bossed him at times physically, Darren Purse, Carroll is what 6ft 3 ? He should be using his strength a lot more and if he can't, he should be hitting the gym.

Also, Darren Purse bossed him at times physically, Darren Purse, Carroll is what 6ft 3 ? He should be using his strength a lot more and if he can't, he should be hitting the gym.

So he becomes slow and heavy like Shola?

I got no problem with Carroll's style of play,, he could shoot more often but the fact is he's playing his first full season with us  and is already showing lots of potential, i'm sure the more games he'll play he'll get better, i still remember last season after theManchester  City game people here where talking abut him like he's the worst player in the premierleague but he proved them wrong, he's pretty decent for his age and is one of the best young strikers in England right now so people should really get behind him and give him some confidence

Guest Heneage

I got no problem with Carroll's style of play,, he could shoot more often but the fact is he's playing his first full season with us  and is already showing lots of potential, i'm sure the more games he'll play he'll get better, i still remember last season after theManchester  City game people here where talking abut him like he's the worst player in the premierleague but he proved them wrong, he's pretty decent for his age and is one of the best young strikers in England right now so people should really get behind him and give him some confidence

What? Ricardo Fuller is built and I'm pretty sure he's a whippet. I'm not saying become massive, but be able to battle, Purse was dwarfed by him. Carroll doesn't use his pace, and isn't really shooting. A good prospect, but needs work.

Shola has always been very, very slow. Carroll is also naturally slow and adding muscle wont help his endurance but probably will help him over 10 yards

Decent player. He needs a goal pretty soon though. I know it's not a lot to base it on, but in the warm-up he was cracking some left-footers into the goal with a lot of power in them.

It speaks volumes for this league when Carroll and Ameobi can be a winning partnership. It's unattractive but it just works; it fucks the defenders over and they're all shagged by the time the game it up. Carroll's reasonable with the ball at his feet, and thanks to the whole 'three-men-on-Jonas' tactic they employed, he often got a bit of time with the ball in the middle and acted as like a mini final third playmaker. If we had a competent right-winger then Carroll would have shown he was a focal point of our attack today. Well, he was anyway, but it would have been more evident.

I still think he's a good player. He brings the ball down very well and obviously he's excellent in the air. But as i say, he just needs a goal - desperately. At the moment, if we get a new, quick striker, Shola's got the shirt i'm afraid.

Decent player. He needs a goal pretty soon though. I know it's not a lot to base it on, but in the warm-up he was cracking some left-footers into the goal with a lot of power in them.

He's got a hell of a shot on him, just needs the confidence to use it.

He's got a hell of a shot on him, just needs the confidence to use it.

So confidence is the reason he hasn't managed a goal with his feet (with the exception of that tap-in at City)

Best locate some confidence soon then, because the other aspects of his game aren't strong enough to justifty selection

I hope we can use Carroll sparingly. There are a lot of teams in this league that he'll blatantly do well against compared to the others, and for those I have no reservations about his selection.

But a strikeforce of Carroll and Ameobi with Xisco coming on after 70 minutes isn't going to get us promoted, imo

Really depends on whats happening with our midfield and who is playing.

Not to mention our tactics, if we are going to rely on punting the ball up front again, the midfielders wont matter, having someone that can win the ball in the air will.

We dont really have the players to do much different up front tbh.

Ideally with a decent couple of wingers and someone creative in the centre I'd agree about having someone different, we need someone capable of actually running at opposition defences. We really dont have that at the minute though, so little choice but playing him.

• 2 weeks later...

Daily Mirror says Wolves and Bolton are in a tug of war to sign him.....but no quotes of any sort. Here it is anyway:

Newcastle striker set for shock exit

Newcastle United's young striker Andy Carroll is primed for a shock exit before the window shuts - with Wolves and Bolton alerted to a possible sale.The England under-21 prospect is fancied by Mick McCarthy and Wanderers chief Gary Megson has also made an inquiry for him.

Carroll is a local hero on Tyneside after coming through the ranks but he is keen to go to the top level as soon as possible - and he may look to leave if a Premier League side agrees a price before the deadline.

The powerful forward is also involved in a bitter tug-of-war between two agents who are trying to find him a new home and that has added another intriguing element to the chase. The Toon are short of forwards right now and the loss of Carroll would be a blow to their promotion hopes, but if the money is right he may be gone.

Honestly, they should be shot for turning in crap like this. Lazy journalism

Daily Mirror says Wolves and Bolton are in a tug of war to sign him.....but no quotes of any sort. Here it is anyway:

Newcastle striker set for shock exit

Newcastle United's young striker Andy Carroll is primed for a shock exit before the window shuts - with Wolves and Bolton alerted to a possible sale.The England under-21 prospect is fancied by Mick McCarthy and Wanderers chief Gary Megson has also made an inquiry for him.

Carroll is a local hero on Tyneside after coming through the ranks but he is keen to go to the top level as soon as possible - and he may look to leave if a Premier League side agrees a price before the deadline.

The powerful forward is also involved in a bitter tug-of-war between two agents who are trying to find him a new home and that has added another intriguing element to the chase. The Toon are short of forwards right now and the loss of Carroll would be a blow to their promotion hopes, but if the money is right he may be gone.

Honestly, they should be shot for turning in crap like this. Lazy journalism

:dowie: :lol: