West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Everyone now knows spurs have £40m to spend on a striker, there's no way Ashley will accept a penny less with the info at hand and I can't see anyone else with a top striker yielding either.

I could see him selling for £40m. Why wouldn't he?

Everyone now knows spurs have £40m to spend on a striker, there's no way Ashley will accept a penny less with the info at hand and I can't see anyone else with a top striker yielding either.

hell i'd struggle to say no to 40m

That's not really the point like, point is Spurs have relieved how much cash they've got and how desperate they are for a striker. Ashley and others will want everything they've got, ie £40m.

That's not really the point like, point is Spurs have relieved how much cash they've got and how desperate they are for a striker. Ashley and others will want everything they've got, ie £40m.

This is Mike Ashley we're talking about. The one thing we can all be sure of with him is he's so far shown no track record of setimentality when it comes to cold, hard business. He'd go for this.

The thing is we just don't know what floats Ashley's boat.  All we know is that he wants to run Newcastle as a business but for all that, Carroll might just be his favourite player and he might fancy having England's centre forward playing for his club.  He might decide to toss a coin in the morning to decide whether to keep or sell.  Who knows.

I am just starting to get worried that this team that everyone has become so fond of is going to be broken up in the Summer.  It is good that there is interest in Carroll, Enrique and Tiote plus if he continues in his current form possibly Colo because it obviously means we have some very good players and they are wanted by good clubs.  Then of course if Ben Arfa proves to be the player we think he is, we will probably be worrying about losing him next January.

If we keep the players, we could be at the start of something exciting but as ever is Ashley happy for us just to survive or does he want to improve year on year.

The thing is we just don't know what floats Ashley's boat.  All we know is that he wants to run Newcastle as a business but for all that, Carroll might just be his favourite player and he might fancy having England's centre forward playing for his club.  He might decide to toss a coin in the morning to decide whether to keep or sell.  Who knows.

I am just starting to get worried that this team that everyone has become so fond of is going to be broken up in the Summer.  It is good that there is interest in Carroll, Enrique and Tiote plus if he continues in his current form possibly Colo because it obviously means we have some very good players and they are wanted by good clubs.  Then of course if Ben Arfa proves to be the player we think he is, we will probably be worrying about losing him next January.

If we keep the players, we could be at the start of something exciting but as ever is Ashley happy for us just to survive or does he want to improve year on year.

Agree with most of your post but I actually believe that if we have a loss of players like Carroll, Enrique and Tiote, it will ruin the club for years. We can afford ONE of them to go, maybe 2 if there are decent replacements, but if 3 or 4 go in the next 6 months it will send a message loud and clear that NUFC is just a nursery club for the big boys - we will find it increasingly difficult to sign top class experienced players and even the best youngsters will shy away.

Naturally, the loss of players of this calibre is going to affect the team performances badly - we could even be relegated and its back to square 1.

Having said that, it would be very difficult to stop Carroll leaving if he really wanted to because players in his position are so sought after - that doesn't mean ALL the best players should be allowed to go.

NUFC are too big to be a Burnley(who used to sell their young stars in the 60s/70s). There is a very fine line between balancing the books and being a nursery - as you say, we don't know what Ashley really wants, but IF he wants out, he will be tempted to sell the better players so the clubs' books look good.

Don't forget - unlike other clubs, NUFC DON'T own the land on which the ground is built....

= lots of England shirt sales?

:shifty:

Yeh, been thinking myself, we now have a very good core of players. A  couple of good additions in the summer and we really could move on up. As you say, none of us know what's in Ashley's mind and what his real motive is at this time. He could do something really good for the club, after all. Personally, I'm a bit concerned by the all the talk from Pardew about the persuading he's had to do to get Ashley to hang onto our top players. But maybe he's just been educating him, and if Pardew really is his man then maybe he'll listen to him.

Spurs are getting more desperate by the hour. Big bids being made and rejected for about 4 or 5 strikers in the hope just one of them signs. No rhyme or reason to who or what type of player they're after they just want a good striker and have left it til 30th Jan to show their hand.

Hope they end up with no fucker and Defoe falls down the stairs and snaps his little legs. Shove Dawson up front like they used to do with Docherty. 

wonder why they've not been back for those south americans they were supposed to be signing on the last deadline day?

The thing is we just don't know what floats Ashley's boat.  All we know is that he wants to run Newcastle as a business but for all that, Carroll might just be his favourite player and he might fancy having England's centre forward playing for his club.  He might decide to toss a coin in the morning to decide whether to keep or sell.  Who knows.

I am just starting to get worried that this team that everyone has become so fond of is going to be broken up in the Summer.  It is good that there is interest in Carroll, Enrique and Tiote plus if he continues in his current form possibly Colo because it obviously means we have some very good players and they are wanted by good clubs.  Then of course if Ben Arfa proves to be the player we think he is, we will probably be worrying about losing him next January.

Always has and always will be my worry with Ashley. We all know his stated goal on how he wants to run the club ie developing young players and being financially sustainable. But it's ambiguous.

Do we develop players to sell and help him recoup the money he has lost? Or do we develop to keep, and therefore save paying big fees as well as developing the team and club. Let's hope it's the latter, but I fear the former.

It's not ridiculous to suggest Andy Carroll will lead the line for England for the next decade. Bear in mind there is a lack of quality forwards in England and proven Premier League strikers aren't cheap. Look how much Villa paid for Darren Bent. 23M is not an unfair offer but I'd be gutted if we sell because it shows how the club is being run and will be run. I also doubt the top players want to come to Newcastle in its current state. So we'll be back scouring the market for a young forward who will grow with us. And it goes round in circles. West Ham's youth policy failed when they sold them all for profit. Arsenal develop them for keeps and it works.

There is a chance Carroll is a one season wonder and we will regret turning the deal down. But I'm willing to take that chance. I think he'll only get better and if he keeps it up, we may have Man City or Chelsea knocking on the door with silly money further down the line. He's signed a long contract and seems happy, if we cash in to bloody Spurs it's a sign of Ashley's intentions.

what was it someone said, the difference between 17th & 7th is about 7 million quid?

i'd hope ashley is approaching it this way, i.e. if he sells Carroll he has to spend some of the xx million on replacements for the squad and then he gambles that we end up further down the league and possibly even relegated thus negating the sale in the first place

smart move is to operate the way he has been recently, picking up players like HBA, Ireland etc. and hoping we can get the best out of them...build a nice team with spirit, albeit one with a limited pool of resources

that's the smart move for me, but as stated who knows what ashley will do if 40m cold hard cash is waved under his nose?

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Fuck of Liverpool yee cænts

Mirror being lazy (I hope).

Is it basically just down to if we sell him now or in the summer?

At this point in time, I'd just be happy for him to return from his injury.