West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

For me, the bottom line is we didn't have to sell now, without a replacement, and jeapodize the whole season. Unlike Liverpool's more professional approach.

We should have stood firm and transferred him in the summer, if indeed they felt giving him something in the region he was asking for would have destabilised the club.

The fact that he took the money shows that Ashley was always a seller when the price was right, whatever the circumstances.

To my mind everything else is just a smokescreen.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ashley had a cigar on and just got off on screwing as much money out of the deal as possible, sending out a message to his opponents in the business world that he always drives a hard bargain.

I can't see that the best interests of the club were ever at the heart of this. Note how Pardew announced he sought assurances about the use of the money, it was not as though he was offered it by a man who had decided this was the best way to take the club forward.

i don't usually pay attention to much of what Lee Ryder says but he came out with a good point yesterday, asking how much we'll spend on strikers over the next ten years (ie the time carroll would've been with us)? It'll probably end up over £35m and i wouldn't be surprised if we squandered it all.

Similarly, how much have we spent on strikers in the last 10 years only for none of them to be as good as Carroll? Owen £16m, Martins £10.1m, Luque £9m, Bellamy £6m, Xisco £5.7m, Best £1m, Sibierski £0.5m, Zamblera £0.3m. Almost £50m there and only Bellamy represented good business. In fact for Carroll's fee we went out and signed Owen, Martins and Luque. Urgh.

I just hope we don't piss this money away on crap as usual.

Top strikers are the most valuable commodity in the game, not many can score goals year in year out. It's still to be seen whether Carroll will tbf, although I think he's got enough self belief not to be daunted at Liverpool. Pardew will have his work cut out identifying a replacement within our wage structure though.

Carroll's out of his comfort zone now, with far more pressure and scrutiny aimed towards him. I also wonder if we didn't just see that extra 10% of effort due to him playing for his boyhood club.

For me, the bottom line is we didn't have to sell now, without a replacement, and jeapodize the whole season. Unlike Liverpool's more professional approach.

We should have stood firm and transferred him in the summer, if indeed they felt giving him something in the region he was asking for would have destabilised the club.

The fact that he took the money shows that Ashley was always a seller when the price was right, whatever the circumstances.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ashley had a cigar on and just got off on screwing as much money out of the deal as possible, sending out a message to his opponents in the business world that he always drives a hard bargain.

I can't see that the best interests of the club were ever at the heart of this. Note how Pardew announced he sought assurances about the use of the money, it was not as though he was offered it by a man who had decided this was the best way to take the club forward.

Liverpool's more professional approach? They sold their best striker and gambled massive money on two players with only 6 months premiership experience between them.

There's only one thing more risky than us selling Andy Carroll for £35m, and that's them buying him.

.com make a good point.

Harry Redknapp, January 17th 2011:

"We are nowhere near getting Andy Carroll. How much is he? You are talking £30million to 40million."

That was a lucky guess wasn't it? Anyone would think that the loveable old rogue could see into the future...

Of course the club never wanted to sell him. :undecided:

.com make a good point.

Harry Redknapp, January 17th 2011:

"We are nowhere near getting Andy Carroll. How much is he? You are talking £30million to 40million."

That was a lucky guess wasn't it? Anyone would think that the loveable old rogue could see into the future...

Of course the club never wanted to sell him. :undecided:

Think thats whats bugged me the most.

The club trying to play the whole "oh poor us how did this happen, cant believe this". When its clearly complete bs. Theres no reason for us to believe that if their valuations for our other players are met at any point they wont just move them on also, but they want us to believe there is.

Liverpool's professional approach? Surely the fact Carroll had his head turned suggests him or his agent had been approached before they bid, else he'd have not asked for a new contract and transfer request. Sounds like he was tapped up to me.

Agree with your points.

But was meaning that they put their club's interests first by not selling until they got a replacement in

The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

With us, our whole game was played to his strenghts, he's a great player, but it's not the end of the world... Look what happend to Owen and Robbie Fowler after they left Liverpool! They would be living legends if they stuck with liverpool, but they sold out...

Guest guinness_fiend

Still can't believe the lanky streak of piss that could barely control a football 2 years ago has gone for £35 million. Amazing really.

The daft thing is, he struggles to control one now.  If there's two things he needs to improve on in order to become a true world class player, it's his woeful dribbling ability and inability to carve chances out of nothing.  An adequate replacement for Torres his certainly isn't (at the moment).

It's a big gamble for Liverpool and, now that he has left, one that I hope backfires.

Guest guinness_fiend

With us, our whole game was played to his strenghts, he's a great player, but it's not the end of the world... Look what happend to Owen and Robbie Fowler after they left Liverpool! They would be living legends if they stuck with liverpool, but they sold out...

Fowler is a legend amongst Liverpool fans.

Liverpool's more professional approach? They sold their best striker and gambled massive money on two players with only 6 months premiership experience between them.

There's only one thing more risky than us selling Andy Carroll for £35m, and that's them buying him.

Probably wrong choice of words on my part.

Was just trying to emphasise that they put their club's best interest first by holding onto their striker until they had a replacement in. At least that's the way it looked on the day. Unlike us, scrabbling around at the last minute to get someone in which made our lot look like a bunch of amateurs.

Guest marky555

Still can't believe the lanky streak of piss that could barely control a football 2 years ago has gone for £35 million. Amazing really.

The daft thing is, he struggles to control one now.  If there's two things he needs to improve on in order to become a true world class player, it's his woeful dribbling ability and inability to carve chances out of nothing.  An adequate replacement for Torres his certainly isn't (at the moment).

It's a big gamble for Liverpool and, now that he has left, one that I hope backfires.

You're both pathetic. Stop being so fucking bitter. His woeful dribbling ability isn't part of his game, are you going to start saying Torres really needs to improve on his heading ability (Carroll) and his brute strength (Carroll) to become world class as he doesn't possess these traits?

He may not be the player Torres is and he may not have the ability to dribble and carve chances out of nothing but I guarantee you he'll replace Torres's goals, and that's why they've bought him.

Guest toonlass

He's also a landlord to most of them,  :lol:

Guest guinness_fiend

You're both pathetic. Stop being so f***ing bitter. His woeful dribbling ability isn't part of his game, are you going to start saying Torres really needs to improve on his heading ability (Carroll) and his brute strength (Carroll) to become world class as he doesn't possess these traits?

He may not be the player Torres is and he may not have the ability to dribble and carve chances out of nothing but I guarantee you he'll replace Torres's goals, and that's why they've bought him.

I suggest you re-read my comment.  I'm not being bitter and mentioned that he struggles to control a ball prior to any mention of him leaving the club.  As I state above, he has the potential to be a suitable replacement for Torres but he's far from the finished article.  That's all.  If he'd stayed in Newcastle, that wouldn't change my opinion.

We're quick to build players up only to be surprised when they don't meet our expectations.  I for one would not expect Carroll to become world class for a good while yet, for as far as I'm concerned, he's still learning his trade.  This is why many of the world's top strikers don't hit their true peak until their mid-twenties (freaks of nature like Messi aside). 

Offering constructive criticism isn't being bitter.  For instance, I think that Ranger has it in him to be a decent Premiership striker.  He is exceptionally strong on the ball, quick off the mark and gets stuck in.  However, he seems to be a confidence player and he needs to get over it quickly if he's going to start scoring goals on a regular basis (or at all :lol:).

And as for Carroll replacing Torres' goals, at the moment it's largely reliant on whether Liverpool are able to improve their distribution from the wings, which has been lacking of late and is one of the reasons (attitude aside) why Torres hasn't had the greatest of seasons.

Guest guinness_fiend

He's also a landlord to most of them,  :lol:

Wahay! :lol:

We should have stood firm and transferred him in the summer, if indeed they felt giving him something in the region he was asking for would have destabilised the club....

Highly doubtful that anyone would value Carroll at 35M in the summer.  So instead of selling him for £35M we sell him for £20-25 (or somesuch).

Is that really good business sense to "loan" Carroll for 4 months for £10-15M?

yes he is, he did score 120 goals for them. but I think he would of been alot bigger if he stuck with them. look at his stats after he left pool? had a decent spell at leeds, but not half the player he was at liverpool.

Any way there are alot of examples, some make it, some don't. My point is, he hasn't even had a season in the PL with a team that plays to his strenghts. we do hoof the ball aloooot when he's playing, and it's a tactic that works wonderful to his playing style.