West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

"How did you feel when you first heard of Liverpool's interest?

I was a bit surprised and didn't really know what was going on at the time. When I knew it was real and that there was a chance for me to come here I knew it was a great opportunity and I had to take it"  = TRANSFER REQUEST IMHO

What the f*** should he say?

"I didn't give a toss, I'm Newcastle through and through. Now take me back home please."

I was a bit surprised and didn't really know what was going on at the time. When I knew it was real and that there was a chance for me to come here I knew it was a great opportunity and I had to take it"  = TRANSFER REQUEST IMHO

"I didn't give a toss, I'm Newcastle through and through. Now take me back home please."

Of course. That wouldn't really work out in the real world tho..

His actual answer is a pretty standard answer, who i wouldn't lay too much thought in to. Also the reporter is very clearly trying to drag answers like that out of him - almost putting words in Carroll's mouth.

"Liverpool delighted their fans but stunned the footballing world when the club signed Carroll for the huge sum this week."....... I am one of that rare breed of Liverpool fan, one who is actually born and bred in Liverpool, and I have to say I know A LOT of other born and bred Liverpool fans who like me were NOT delighted by the fact that the club spent £35 million on Carroll"

He's gonna have to hit the ground running to please that lot.

I was a bit surprised and didn't really know what was going on at the time. When I knew it was real and that there was a chance for me to come here I knew it was a great opportunity and I had to take it"  = TRANSFER REQUEST IMHO

His actual answer is a pretty standard answer, who i wouldn't lay too much thought in to. Also the reporter is very clearly trying to drag answers like that out of him - almost putting words in Carroll's mouth.

Why wouldn't it?

A transfer can only go through if three parties agree to it. He didn't have to sign for Liverpool.

"Liverpool delighted their fans but stunned the footballing world when the club signed Carroll for the huge sum this week."....... I am one of that rare breed of Liverpool fan, one who is actually born and bred in Liverpool, and I have to say I know A LOT of other born and bred Liverpool fans who like me were NOT delighted by the fact that the club spent £35 million on Carroll"

There's a lot of scepticism on Merseyside when you look past the sky sports news mongs.

Such a significant fee for such an unproven talent.

Hopefully they will be vulturing over every misstep just like they did with Hodgson. Guilty until proven innocent.

Guest TheSummerOf69

Anyone old enough to remember the shock that greeted Dalglish smashing the transfer record (£3m+ !!!) to take some young geordie kid to Blackburn, before they went and won the league?

Guest neesy111

Anyone old enough to remember the shock that greeted Dalglish smashing the transfer record (£3m+ !!!) to take some young geordie kid to Blackburn, before they went and won the league?

Afraid so.

Shearer had played 3 seasons by then though in the top league.  Carroll 6.

Afraid so.

Shearer had played 3 seasons by then though in the top league.  Carroll 6.

What point is that supposed to be making and how is it true? You can hardly count the first involvements of either player as a "season in the top league" but anyway by that measure it's more like Shearer 5 and Carroll 4. 5 each as members of the first team. Similarities.

Both great CF's, but with Shearer you knew 100% what you were getting and that included a mental strength and maturity way beyond his years, a perfect professional who would only ever be on the back pages not the front.

He will end up being loved by them but he might struggle at first. I don't expect him to return to the outstanding form he shown for us  this season when he first returns from injury and if he is rusty for a few weeks they might start to wonder what they've bought, but I've no doubt he'll be top class for them.

Why wouldn't it?

A transfer can only go through if three parties agree to it. He didn't have to sign for Liverpool.

I was solely talking about his quotes after he had already signed.

I was a bit surprised and didn't really know what was going on at the time. When I knew it was real and that there was a chance for me to come here I knew it was a great opportunity and I had to take it"  = TRANSFER REQUEST IMHO

Balls. He could have said something along the lines of, "I was surprised when the bid was accepted, but now I'm here I'm delighted obviously". But because it was his decision in the end, that would be lying now, wouldn't it.

Fact is he is saying fair enough things, unless of course you still think like yourself that he had no choice in his departure.

My issue isn't with Carroll's comments on Liverpool's website. Of course he's going to say that.

What's wrong is that he's contradicted himself by coming out in the Chronicle yesterday and saying completely the opposite. You can't appease all sides.

It's been a good week for Liverpool, because they've traded in a striker who didn't want to play and who wasn't making any effort, and got two decent strikers in his place. They're far better off, for an outlay of about £7 million.

Whether in any other set of circumstances, AC is worth £35 million is very doubtful. Basically, we've been able to take advantage of Abramovich's last throw of the financial dice before the fair play rules kick in.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

For me, it's going to hurt much more when Jose Enrique leaves, because I've grown far more attached to him than I ever did with Carroll.

Well, that and James Perch at LB.  :shifty:

Guest neesy111

My issue isn't with Carroll's comments on Liverpool's website. Of course he's going to say that.

What's wrong is that he's contradicted himself by coming out in the Chronicle yesterday and saying completely the opposite. You can't appease all sides.

As I've said yesterday Carroll had tried to use the fans as a pawn in all of this, and that is absolutely disgusting in all of this from the hatred from the fans towards Ashley.  I would rather he just admitted he tried to extract more money from the club from the situation, but he won't.