West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Taken from elsewhere:

Hi,

I scored 24 goals helping my side win promotion back to the Premier League aged just 22.

Then in my first season in the top flight I had bagged an impressive 15 goals by the end of January. Including a goal against the reigning champions, away at Arsenal and in a home win over Liverpool. My form earned me an England call-up and my debut in an international friendly.

Am a I £35M striker?

No, I am Michael Ricketts - February 2002.

Is £80,000 per week not the going rate for a player who will probably get you 20 goals a season and with that much ability though?

Why didn't he ask for that in October then? You can't justify almost trebling his wages on the back of a dozen games.

He wouldnt have asked for such an increase though if it wasnt for what Liverpool were offering. He's obviously gonna think to himself 'if Liverpool value me at that much, then Newcastle should value me higher' as well. Its unfortunate, but I think most footballers (and most people tbf) would expect a contract improvement if someone comes in offering such money for him. I don't think many businesses could justify blocking someone from moving elsewhere where they are gonna treble their wages, and not at least double their salary to a level which competed with that offer.

Is £80,000 per week not the going rate for a player who will probably get you 20 goals a season and with that much ability though?

Why didn't he ask for that in October then? You can't justify almost trebling his wages on the back of a dozen games.

He wouldnt have asked for such an increase though if it wasnt for what Liverpool were offering. He's obviously gonna think to himself 'if Liverpool value me at that much, then Newcastle should value me higher' as well. Its unfortunate, but I think most footballers (and most people tbf) would expect a contract improvement if someone comes in offering such money for him. I don't think many businesses could justify blocking someone from moving elsewhere where they are gonna treble their wages, and not at least double their salary to a level which competed with that offer.

If someone values him at £80k a week after a good calendar year, good luck to Liverpool & him. Just don't whinge that lots of other people don't see to agree in the football world, and certainly don't try playing innocent with the being forced out bullshit.

Guest neesy111

Taken from elsewhere:

Hi,

I scored 24 goals helping my side win promotion back to the Premier League aged just 22.

Then in my first season in the top flight I had bagged an impressive 15 goals by the end of January. Including a goal against the reigning champions, away at Arsenal and in a home win over Liverpool. My form earned me an England call-up and my debut in an international friendly.

Am a I £35M striker?

Brilliant and True.

thats the point ive just been making to my mates.

they were arguing that barton and smith are on more than him and shoudnt be.

fair point, but why didnt he ask for that 8 weeks ago? the club cant carry on renewing contracts every 8 weeks ffs.

Guest neesy111

thats the point ive just been making to my mates.

they were arguing that barton and smith are on more than him and shoudnt be.

fair point, but why didnt he ask for that 8 weeks ago? the club cant carry on renewing contracts every 8 weeks ffs.

Completely True.

Love it how in "football land" we talk about people earning £20K, £30K a week like they're paupers.

I like Carroll and sure he will get what the market is prepared to pay him, but it is clear the club were prepared to review his contract in the summer, so sorry Andy lad, the word is greed and you're just a greedy bastaad.

Taken from elsewhere:

Hi,

Am a I £35M striker?

While that's a fair point, I am pretty sure Carroll is always going to hold a certain value in the transfer market, just because he is such a menace in the air. He's reasonably quick and has a decent left peg too. I don't think he'll ever be worth more than £35m though. Will he look as good in a team passing on the deck? Liverpool have traditionally never done well with a big target man. The scousers will be calling Dalglish every name under the sun if he turns them into a dour long ball team.

Love it how if "football land" we talk about people earning £20K, £30K a week like they're paupers.

I like Carroll and sure he will get what the market is prepared to pay him, but it is clear the club were prepared to review his contract in the summer, so sorry Andy lad, the word is greed and you're just a greedy bastaad.

spot on.

So far he'll have been quietly admired by other fans for the way he plays, and loved by his own fans. Now though, every ground he goes to he's going to get the "What a waste of money" chants and such like, as well has having to step in the shoes of Torres. Can he handle the pressure? We'll see.

i don't usually pay attention to much of what Lee Ryder says but he came out with a good point yesterday, asking how much we'll spend on strikers over the next ten years (ie the time carroll would've been with us)? It'll probably end up over £35m and i wouldn't be surprised if we squandered it all.

Similarly, how much have we spent on strikers in the last 10 years only for none of them to be as good as Carroll? Owen £16m, Martins £10.1m, Luque £9m, Bellamy £6m, Xisco £5.7m, Best £1m, Sibierski £0.5m, Zamblera £0.3m. Almost £50m there and only Bellamy represented good business. In fact for Carroll's fee we went out and signed Owen, Martins and Luque. Urgh.

I just hope we don't piss this money away on crap as usual.

i don't usually pay attention to much of what Lee Ryder says but he came out with a good point yesterday, asking how much we'll spend on strikers over the next ten years (ie the time carroll would've been with us)? It'll probably end up over £35m and i wouldn't be surprised if we squandered it all.

Similarly, how much have we spent on strikers in the last 10 years only for none of them to be as good as Carroll? Owen £16m, Martins £10.1m, Luque £9m, Bellamy £6m, Xisco £5.7m, Best £1m, Sibierski £0.5m, Zamblera £0.3m. Almost £50m there and only Bellamy represented good business. In fact for Carroll's fee we went out and signed Owen, Martins and Luque. Urgh.

Buying in football always comes with risk and you've mentioned a few belters there, but I would say over the last couple of years we've spent very wisely and got some good value for money.

sibierski wasn't bas business tbh and best still has time to prove himself decent business

Top strikers are the most valuable commodity in the game, not many can score goals year in year out. It's still to be seen whether Carroll will tbf, although I think he's got enough self belief not to be daunted at Liverpool. Pardew will have his work cut out identifying a replacement within our wage structure though.