West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fact is,  he was under a 5 year contract. It's not a Charlie Adam situation whereby we have to let him go soon before his value goes down. There's absolutely no fucking reason they had to sell because he wanted a new deal. He was under contract for 5 more years regardless. They could have offerered an improved one in the summer if they wished,  to keep him happy but the fact that they're making it out like they had no choice but to let him go is total bollocks. They chose to take the cash.

They didn't want to pay him 80k/week because as has been explained it would have meant an explosion in salaries throughout the squad. Unlike Liverpool and Spurs we aren't competing in Europe so we can't afford those type of wages yet. So if there's an unhappy player who is being denied big money then you can either keep him and hope he doesn't extend his "injury" or take the money.

If we don't need £30m, why can't we afford anything close to £80k/week?

I reckon if Carroll hadn't asked for a new contract so soon after his last one, he'd have still been a Newcastle player now. We weren't going to blow the whole new wage structure for one player. Carroll and his agent must have had this planned all along from the first contract tbh. He'd played 13 games from that contract deal to demanding a new one. Fucking prick.

I think some of you are forgetting the ramifications of what would have happened if we gave in to his demands.

Tomorrow Jose Enrique would knock on the door and ask for £100k p/w, so we'd have to give it to him.

The next day Cheik Tiote might feel like a bit of a pay-rise, so in he comes asking for £100k p/w too.

The club is bigger than the player, Carroll seemed to forget that and it backfired big time.

Guest toonlass

If Ashley had given in to Carroll, who was happy to sign a contract for less money in October btw, and given him a huge pay rise what was he going to say when the rest of the squad come knocking on the door demanding that they get a massive pay rise too? I hate Ashley, but he's set a wage structure at the club and he has proved he is going to stick to it.

I think some of you are forgetting the ramifications of what would have happened if we gave in to his demands.

Tomorrow Jose Enrique would knock on the door and ask for £100k p/w, so we'd have to give it to him.

The next day Cheik Tiote might feel like a bit of a pay-rise, so in he comes asking for £100k p/w too.

The club is bigger than the player, Carroll seemed to forget that and it backfired big time.

Exactly. Give Carroll £80k or whatever and then all of a sudden the likes of Barton, Enrique, Tiote, etc start demanding similar.

We've got a wage limit to protect the clubs future, especially with new financial rules coming in to play, Carroll should have respected that and try to help raise the limit by playing us in to Europe not moan and hand in a transfer request for rightfully being told no.

Exactly. Give Carroll £80k or whatever and then all of a sudden the likes of Barton, Enrique, Tiote, etc start demanding similar.

Exactly. I'd rather not have lost any of our top players but if it took one of them to be a greedy, demanding cunt than I'd sooner the rest knew the consequence of doing something similar was to be told to do one.

If anybody else does it I don't want them at my football club anyway. Sick of money-motivated fuckers in football at any club, glad we're not tolerating them at ours.

I just don't know who the fuck he thinks he is tbh. £30k to £80k in 13 games? Fuck that.

If he could get that elsewhere, good luck to him and can't blame him for taking it, but don't patronise us with this "I was forced out" bollocks because it does't wash with me you scroat.

Also, there's a significant chance that Andy Carroll's value is at a career high.

This thigh injury might keep him out for the rest of the season if there are any complications, it's already been much worse than thought. He also might get locked up at any time.

I just don't know who the fuck he thinks he is tbh. £30k to £80k in 13 games? Fuck that.

If he could get that elsewhere, good luck to him and can't blame him for taking it, but don't patronise us with this "I was forced out" bollocks because it does't wash with me you scroat.

Yep. But that was just to try and save face and make the club look like the bad guy, not him.

I don't blame him in the slightest, if I was offered a £50k a year pay-rise (let alone a week), I'd jump in an instance, but I wouldn't try and blame my former employer for forcing me out.

I'm pleased with teh clubs stance, yes, I'm gutted to lose a quality player, but we can't have players holding us to ransom after they've had a good 15 matches. Sets a far too dangerous precedent and we all know what happens when the players are only here for the money.

Also, there's a significant chance that Andy Carroll's value is at a career high.

This thigh injury might keep him out for the rest of the season if there are any complications, it's already been much worse than thought. He also might get locked up at any time.

Imagine that  :lol:

Of course you can't blame him for wanting to go there, whether it be for the money or the historical factor.

It's the bollocks he's spouting about not wanting to leave and being forced out that's doing my nut in. He knows the fans have a frosty relationship with the board...leak that to the press, Wraith, whoever, and you know people will take it in and use it as something else to fuel their anger against the board. Fucking knob.

Imagine that  :lol:

Imagine if Taylor tried to get him done now for braking his jaw.

Of course you can't blame him for wanting to go there, whether it be for the money or the historical factor.

It's the bollocks he's spouting about not wanting to leave and being forced out that's doing my nut in. He knows the fans have a frosty relationship with the board...leak that to the press, Wraith, whoever, and you know people will take it in and use it as something else to fuel their anger against the board. Fucking knob.

This. He's deliberately tried/been advised to stir the shit so as to come up smelling of roses.

Guest firetotheworks

We have no fucking idea what definitely happened. You'd think people would have learned after the Keegan situation to wait until they know ANYTHING before jumping to unfounded conclusions about people's roles in all of this.

:thup:

"forced to leave" = told to wait until the summer to renegotiate a 4 month old, five year contract.

Fuck him and fuck anyone who needs disgusting amounts of money to play for our club.

If we don't need £30m, why can't we afford anything close to £80k/week?

Firstly we will have a budget for this season, putting Carroll on 80k would disrupt that.  Also the club rightly wants to bring every players wage to a respectable level, Carroll for 80k a week simply isn't worth it.

I do like the clubs apparent policy on wages to be honest. If any player wants huge sums of money to pull on the shirt they should be told to f*** off.

We don't want another Owen, Viduka, Smith, Duff, Geremi etc etc etc on the books. We need a good wage structure, it should easily seperate those players who want to come here to play their football in front of a great audience from those who want to come here to boost their bank balances.

i.e. if Sebastien Larsson wanted to become a Newcastle United player, he would be one. Not that I have a lot of confidence in the board but Sebastien Larsson isn't worth a decent chunk of our wage budget, if he wanted more than we were prepared to give him I'm f***ing pleased the deal fell through, just as I will be in the summer with any similar deals.

We might be extremely short on bodies but I'd much rather that than to have bulked out the squad with yet more money-hungry bastards like we've had in the past.

At least with any potential new signings we can be pretty confident that they're here for footballing reasons.

Hard to argue with any of this. We had plenty of players on astronomical wages in the past and look where that got us - the championship. We need players hungry to play football who will sweat blood for the cause, not wankers demanding 80,000 a week a few months after commiting their future to the cause and the club. Fuck him.

Guest prestonj1989

:lol:  what I thought

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/02/02/article-1352777-0D02859E000005DC-351_224x579.jpg

he's practically dragging her

£80,000 a week and he goes out wearing an umbro jacket.

He's been pictured in Liverpool's Adidas gear so much in all of this, Umbro probably wanted a look in... bet he was 'forced' into wearing that too.

:lol:  what I thought

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/02/02/article-1352777-0D02859E000005DC-351_224x579.jpg

he's practically dragging her

When he was on 40k we was still going to Blu Bambu.