West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

More plausible is the club vowing to renege (never mind 'immediate rises', I'm talking about next summer and beyond) on a gentlemen's agreement made at the time of the previous contract being signed that improved contracts would be offered as his career progressed. The new message being 'if you weren't satisfied with £22k pw for the next five years, why did you sign a piece of paper saying you were? You'll have to go elsewhere to get more any time remotely soon.'

More plausible is the club vowing to renege (never mind 'immediate rises', I'm talking about next summer and beyond) on a gentlemen's agreement made at the time of the previous contract being signed that improved contracts would be offered as his career progressed. The new message being 'if you weren't satisfied with £22k pw for the next five years, why did you sign a piece of paper saying you were? You'll have to go elsewhere to get more any time remotely soon.'

That's always seemed the most likely to me.

So? The bloke is 22. Nobody forced the millionaire Andy Carroll into a helicopter did they? It's greed. Pure and simple. You seem to be more of a negative, blinkered pleb than ever.

If that was how things went, were I in his position I'd have been out and/or declared war on the regime on a point of honour, never mind any money concerns. Bearing in mind Carroll's not known for being the brightest spark, those text messages are likely to be the best he could offer in such a situation.

So? The bloke is 22. Nobody forced the millionaire Andy Carroll into a helicopter did they? It's greed. Pure and simple. You seem to be more of a negative, blinkered pleb than ever.

Millionaire after a year in the Championship on his youth team wages? Aye okie doke.

Carroll actually asked to re-negotiate his contract 3 months after signing it. The club saying no to that isn't an indication that they had no intention of re-negotiating at any time in the next five years.

Carroll actually asked to re-negotiate his contract 3 months after signing it. The club saying no to that isn't an indication that they had no intention of re-negotiating at any time in the next five years.

Neither of us were party to the discussions that took place on that day, so we don't know whether they said more to him in person, nor whether their claim about him asking to renegotiate immediately is true.

Just going on the story from the Milner camp (which no one cast doubt upon at the time, as I recall), it certainly sounds like plausible behaviour from the Ashley/Llambias regime, though.

Neither of us were party to the discussions that took place on that day, so we don't know whether they said more to him in person, nor whether their claim about him asking to renegotiate immediately is true.

Just going on the story from the Milner camp (which no one cast doubt upon at the time, as I recall), it certainly sounds like plausible behaviour from the Ashley/Llambias regime, though.

This probably belongs to the other thread, but are you sure you've got the Milner story right? The story at the time was that Milner felt that his progress in the first year of his contract meant that he deserved to have his contract improved. This is the first time I've heard the angle that the club broke a promise.

Can you refer me to any quotes / links?

This probably belongs to the other thread, but are you sure you've got the Milner story right? The story at the time was that Milner felt that his progress in the first year of his contract meant that he deserved to have his contract improved. This is the first time I've heard the angle that the club broke a promise.

Can you refer me to any quotes / links?

Not tonight but if someone doesn't do the job for me, hold me to it another day and I'll try and find something for you.

Specifically, as I recall, one of the major issues was that the contract signed a year or so prior had actually been agreed upon a long time before that and had been held up merely for reasons of bureaucracy (inc. the takeover). (by the by, he'd already done the club a good turn by not going ballistic in the pursuit of respect and better wages when we suddenly halted his original Villa transfer, having already been unceremoniously dumped on them by Souness (who's coaching staff told him he wasn't good enough to make staying on for extra training worth his while...))

It was subsequently signed as a matter of good will, despite it being understood he'd already become a more valuable player (and was yet to become even more valuable, following further good performances and Villa's persistent interest).

Guest Mantis

I envisage coming back her two years down the line and pages 2000-2030 being the same regurgitation as the last 30 pages.  C****** is dead as far  as NUFC is concerned in my eyes.  Only issue is we are likely to have to watch him for the next 10 yrs for England, for those who give a shit about England.  Personally, I hope he gets locked up.

I envisage coming back her two years down the line and pages 2000-2030 being the same regurgitation as the last 30 pages.  C****** is dead as far  as NUFC is concerned in my eyes.  Only issue is we are likely to have to watch him for the next 10 yrs for England, for those who give a shit about England.  Personally, I hope he gets locked up.

Craphed? Cocface?

Cuntman?

Millionaire after a year in the Championship on his youth team wages? Aye okie doke.

Very naive. Very dense too

Guest Mantis

I envisage coming back her two years down the line and pages 2000-2030 being the same regurgitation as the last 30 pages.  C****** is dead as far  as NUFC is concerned in my eyes.  Only issue is we are likely to have to watch him for the next 10 yrs for England, for those who give a s*** about England.  Personally, I hope he gets locked up.

Craphed? Cocface?

Cuntman?

Anyone you like but I meant Carroll.  And I promise I wont mention his name again.

So, for clarity's sake, the Ashley haters contend that Carroll submitted his transfer request because he didn't trust Ashley to re-negotiate his contract in the summer? And this lack of trust was due to the club reneging on it's promises to Milner re contract upgrades?

I ask because, while that has some logic to it, the manner in which the two players were treated by the club was very different (if we believe "the stories"). Milner was (supposedly) mistreated by Souness, got shafted over his contract and had his first move to Villa cancelled. Whereas Carroll was (supposedly) supported during his two rather serious assaults (the Taylor one especially), given a new contract and the #9.

I can understand Milner being hacked off at the club, but Carroll had been treated with leniency and indulgence. Whilst there are similarities, there are also significant differences.

Doesn't that actually back up my version -  ie Milner thought he deserved a rise, not Milner was promised a rise?

Quite.

Milner felt he should get a new contract based on his development over the year and worth to the club (from his point of view, a not unreasonable request), but there is no indication of these broken promises people are banging on about whatsoever.