West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fair play to Hughton for sticking with him, many cries for him to be dropped not long ago. (me included)

those calls had sod all to do with 'on the pitch'

Eh? ??? He had four goals to his name up until that WBA cup game. That's all i can remember people being particularly pissed off about.

Fair play to Hughton for sticking with him, many cries for him to be dropped not long ago. (me included)

those calls had sod all to do with 'on the pitch'

Eh? ??? He had four goals to his name up until that WBA cup game. That's all i can remember people being particularly pissed off about.

oops sorry. i took not long a go to mean the last day or so.

Guest sombrero

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/3874/carollcopyh.jpg

i do not own the original picture but if the above is not ok let me know..... and i was bored!

K O !

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/97980131.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921A343B2C87A49D8F5DC36BA3A78B65456F37E5502B5353F4622CD5B5AF4740C81

Nolan "And this is how Carroll smacked Taylor in the head! HAHAHAHAHA!!"

Carroll "Nah man, it was more like this!"

Raylor "Andy, that's gay, mate."

Routledge (To Raylor) "Hehehe....true, mate."

Just goes to show how quickly people right out our young kids.  He was performing reasonable well as a solo striker - in and out of the squad - but not regulary amongst the goals and people threw their dolls out of the pram saying he would 'never make it' and wanted him traded for Jermaine Beckford plus cash.  Unreal.

to be honest, i was listening to the match last night and carroll sounded out of sorts up until he scored, which is understandable given the alleged occurences. i'd have taken him off about 5 minutes before he scored personally but hughton did well keeping the lad on because he is on top form.

Just goes to show how quickly people right out our young kids.  He was performing reasonable well as a solo striker - in and out of the squad - but not regulary amongst the goals and people threw their dolls out of the pram saying he would 'never make it' and wanted him traded for Jermaine Beckford plus cash.  Unreal.

Agreed. Just imagine if he'd been given a chance last season instead of Michael Superstar Owen a couple of goals from our own local hero might have kept us up.

Agreed. Just imagine if he'd been given a chance last season instead of Michael Superstar Owen a couple of goals from our own local hero might have kept us up.

Good post - as per usual.

Although he had looked like a decent prospect before, it was when he scored that header away to Stoke City that I first thought the kid could make it in the PL. He really is not afraid to mix it with big players and big reputations.

Although he had looked like a decent prospect before, it was when he scored that header away to Stoke City that I first thought the kid could make it in the PL. He really is not afraid to mix it with big players and big reputations.

Aye, the fact he's a knobhead and a total charver should actually help him on the pitch.

FWIW, his temper only seems to flare up in private, during games he keeps a lid on it well.

Aye, the fact he's a knobhead and a total charver should actually help him on the pitch.

FWIW, his temper only seems to flare up in private, during games he keeps a lid on it well.

Like most of the scummy kids from Ghettohead he is very wary of kicking off in front cameras/cctv & the bizzies.

Really worried about his temperament, and you can only hope that with his current success he just wises up and focuses on football. Nothing better than seeing a youngster rise up from the club's academy and become something, so would be great if he kept on improving. Huge credit to Hughton this season for sticking with him the way he has. We've also seen Guthrie benefit hugely from Hughton's faith in him as well.

Have to say though the turn around in people's opinions of him in just a few months is a bit cringeworthy. I guess when people rubbish players and write them off I shouldn't take it too seriously. I guess it's just said fleetingly in moments of frustration. Some of you guys had completely dismissed him as a footballer period.

I always felt that at 6 foot 4 and with good co-ordination and mobility, not to mention a very good build i.e. not too heavy and not too slight, he had a decent chance of becoming something. I thought we had blown it with him though, by not getting him out on loan somewhere a bit earlier. I know he messed up one of his loan moves but we should have persevered more with it. This relegation has been a blessing for him now though. If we go back up (fingers crossed still!) and he goes on to become a good prem player it would be so ironic, because I 'm not sure it would ever happen without us going down (clouds with silver linings eh?). Well not at Newcastle anyway.

The key thing now is not to be as careless with Ranger. Should be loaned out to a championship/league 1 side where he will play regularly as soon as we are back in the prem (fingers ...).

Right about all of that KaKa.

Have to admit I thought Carroll would be another Shola/Chopra/LuaLua, and I'm still not 100% convinced he won't. But I didn't give enough weight to his age, lack of experience and turbulent period of the club he was playing through.

As you say, relegation has been very good for him, let's just hope he can keep his head screwed on.

Guest toonlass

to be honest, i was listening to the match last night and carroll sounded out of sorts up until he scored, which is understandable given the alleged occurences. i'd have taken him off about 5 minutes before he scored personally but hughton did well keeping the lad on because he is on top form.

Really? I was listening to the game and I thought Carroll sounded up for it, and said after about 20 minutes that I thought he would score.

Guest bobthemag

Got to keep him I'm afraid, in reality I think he should go, but unfortunately football doesnt really operate in the same way that society does whereby someone who does wrong gets punished and shunned for future employment etc. 

In reality 80% of the jobs out there are replaceable, theres always someone more willing and more skillful to take your place for free so the moral code is a lot easier to uphold, in football however players are considered assests,  sacking aplayer serve no purpose whatsoever as the player will be happily snapped up by another club.

In short the club doesnt benefit whatsoever by sacking him, but can benefit massively by keeping.

Its a no brainer Im afriad. Unfortunately.

:thup:

some people may not like it, but what is good enough for Chelsea, manU, Liverpool and their players indiscretions is good enough for Newcastle.

Point about Craig Bellamy is also relevant. The team and the club sufferred.

The point about principles is that they are not principles if you abandon them just because sticking to them would make your life more difficult/inconvenient.  Yes the club may suffer if we got rid of AC, but we should decide whether the alleged behaviour is the sort of thing that we want to condone.  If not, then we should get rid, even if we suffer.

you stick to the morale high ground, I'll take the points and promotion, just like Manu, Chelsea, Liverpool and the rest do including West Ham who should have been relegated 3 years ago. If you take the morale high ground don't bother complaining if the team suffers and supporters of other clubs laugh at you for being losers.

Guest Phil K

The key thing now is not to be as careless with Ranger. Should be loaned out to a championship/league 1 side where he will play regularly as soon as we are back in the prem (fingers ...).

Agree. I'd like to see the lad come on, and despite being in a lower league, he hasn't looked the part.

Promise, no doubt about it. But TBH every subsequent brief appearance shows less than the last outing.

And he wasn't delivering much to start with.

It would be a good idea to load him out, no doubt about it, and let him start finding the net and he may start coming on stronger.

Its certainly happened with Carroll and may well with Ranger too

Guest The Enforcer

How many do we think he'll end up with then? 20 league goals beyond him? Obviously not if he manages to keep this up and stay clear of injury.

How many do we think he'll end up with then? 20 league goals beyond him? Obviously not if he manages to keep this up and stay clear of injury.

About 2 more for us and then a few for the Mean Machine before the end of the season.