West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why?

Because Ben Arfa's major talents other than his dribbling, are his passing and vision. He'd get a lot of benefit from someone with intelligence and good movement ahead of him. Carroll has neither. With that midfield, you need a man that bases his game on intelligence over physicality.

if this season ends up being a total write off for him at Liverpool, I could see us trying to tempt Liverpool to cut their losses for around £15m next summer. 

You can't help but feel that would be MA's way of thinking.  Sell for £35m, buy back 18 months later still with £20m profit and expect him to be exactly the same player as when he left.

Would be highly ironic to finally spend the Andy Carroll money on Andy Carroll.

Yep.

I remember a discussion on here once about players you always thought would play for us. In my eyes, Andy Carroll is a certainty to return.

It's entirely dependent on how long Ashley is at the club imo.  Can't see us bringing him back with him in charge at all, when they burn bridges they burn them good and proper.  If a new owner comes in and wants to make themselves popular early doors and the timing and the money's right then it would be a go-er.

I remember a discussion on here once about players you always thought would play for us. In my eyes, Andy Carroll is a certainty to return.

It's entirely dependent on how long Ashley is at the club imo.  Can't see us bringing him back with him in charge at all, when they burn bridges they burn them good and proper.  A new owner comes in and wants to make themselves popular early doors and the timing and the money's right then it would be a go-er.

One transfer where bridges certainly weren't burnt from either side IMO. Carroll has never said anything negative about the owners or the club, and think it's the same the other way round (iirc)

I thought he was brilliant for us and was gutted when he left, disgusted even, but would I take him back now? Not so sure. Theres probably better value out there who would fit better in with the style of play and the formation we seem to be looking at.

He looks a totally different player to this time last year as well. Watching some of his games for Liverpool his positioning was shocking. He's all over the shop and seems to be the last thing a team playing Liverpools style of play need. He's obviously not too bright and has probably noticed the grass isn't always greener.

It's entirely dependent on how long Ashley is at the club imo.  Can't see us bringing him back with him in charge at all, when they burn bridges they burn them good and proper.  A new owner comes in and wants to make themselves popular early doors and the timing and the money's right then it would be a go-er.

One transfer where bridges certainly weren't burnt from either side IMO. Carroll has never said anything negative about the owners or the club, and think it's the same the other way round (iirc)

Ignore the bridges burnt comment then, I think there's zero chance of it happening.  Money's the main factor.

I thought he was brilliant for us and was gutted when he left, disgusted even, but would I take him back now? Not so sure. Theres probably better value out there who would fit better in with the style of play and the formation we seem to be looking at.

He looks a totally different player to this time last year as well. Watching some of his games for Liverpool his positioning was shocking. He's all over the shop and seems to be the last thing a team playing Liverpools style of play need. He's obviously not too bright and has probably noticed the grass isn't always greener.

I'd want him back sooner rather than later.  His development over 12 months was astonishing (best I've ever seen in an NUFC player and I know others agree) and in the right circumstances he'd continue developing imo.  He definitely has a problem at the minute though and the longer it goes on the worse it will get.

Ignore the bridges burnt comment then, I think there's zero chance of it happening.  Money's the main factor.

Agree with that. He won't take a pay cut, and we won't offer anything more than 50k.

It's not just the wages though.  Even if he has a disastrous season they'll not want to sell him for less than half of what they paid.  We won't pay that, even.  There are too many obstacles.  I still like him so hope he isn't stuck there for the sake of it.  It's a twat watching good players die a death, whatever you think of them.

If he's so sick there, I could see him taking a wage cut personally. Despite probably being motivated by the lifestyle and money (who wouldn't though) the lad clearly loves this club and this city. His family, girlfriend and probably best mates are from and  all will reside in and around the city. Not forgetting he will have an ego, if he could be the main man again in 'his' city, he'd be back in a flash. And I would certainly take him.

Why?

Because Ben Arfa's major talents other than his dribbling, are his passing and vision. He'd get a lot of benefit from someone with intelligence and good movement ahead of him. Carroll has neither. With that midfield, you need a man that bases his game on intelligence over physicality.

Exactly why I don't think I'd take him back.  Not just because of Ben Arfa specifically but more for the midfield that we're trying to build in general.  If we get this type of football that we seem to be heading towards then he would not fit in here in exactly the same way that he's not fitting in at Liverpool.

Not having a go at anyone in particular but we did somehow manage to avoid playing total Wimbledon shit the last time we had a 12 foot Gateshead-born freak leading the line.  Yes, we mixed it up a bit but not actually any more than we have on the whole so far this season.

The movement thing's a funny one, I think people are swallowing stuff that Liverpool fans are coming out with despite having seen Carroll at his best in our shirt for 12 months.  His movement's not bad at all and he was developing at a fast rate.  Plus he's just so much better than what we've got.  People are forgetting how good he was looking when he left imo.

Not having a go at anyone in particular but we did somehow manage to avoid playing total Wimbledon shit the last time we had a 12 foot Gateshead-born freak leading the line.  Yes, we mixed it up a bit but not actually any more than we have on the whole so far this season.

The movement thing's a funny one, I think people are swallowing stuff that Liverpool fans are coming out with despite having seen Carroll at his best in our shirt for 12 months.  His movement's not bad at all and he was developing at a fast rate.  Plus he's just so much better than what we've got.  People are forgetting how good he was looking when he left imo.

It got to the stage where you just knew he'd score on a given day. I felt like that on Boxing Day against City. We'd figured out how to best use him and began something beautiful.....then he got injured and left.

Guest magpie99

Think he will sign for Sunderland next season......................joking

I would have concerns about resigning him from the point of view

we really shafted Liverpool in what we got. I dont think he was worth anymore than 15 million quid.

I dont think he has the skills to fit into the system Pardew wants to play.

Not good enough with his back to goal and too slow to lay off the ball

Probably wouldnt take such a large drop in wages to come bACK ANYWAY

can't see liverpool losing face on carroll so quickly, the most expensive player in their history working under the untouchable king kenny

unthinkable surely?

could see spurs having a sniff if he ever does come up for sale like, levy would likely fleece the skin off their backs in any potential deal as well

for me if carroll doesn't sort himself out at liverpool he's fucked for good

Think he will sign for Sunderland next season......................joking

I would have concerns about resigning him from the point of view

we really shafted Liverpool in what we got. I dont think he was worth anymore than 15 million quid.

I dont think he has the skills to fit into the system Pardew wants to play.

Not good enough with his back to goal and too slow to lay off the ball

Probably wouldnt take such a large drop in wages to come bACK ANYWAY

Thing is, yes he is good in teh air, but when he was clearly driven, he was nippy too...i know its the mackems but he made some good runs, he is strong, can link up play, and is an illegal weapon in the air...id take him back in a heartbeat...(provided he isnt "on the piss too much")