West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Heres the same story in the Mail in January. They reckoned we were prepared to pay £10m back then. We didn't have Cisse at that time though.

Yours for £20m! Liverpool seek to offload flop Carroll... and Newcastle line up sensational return

By Sportsmail Reporter

UPDATED: 09:20, 11 January 2012

Comments (90) Share

..Newcastle are ready to offer Liverpool flop Andy Carroll an incredible exit from his Anfield nightmare by tabling a bid for their former striker.

The Tyneside-born forward was subject of a dramatic £35million transfer deadline day swoop last January, much to Geordie fans' dismay.

But Newcastle boss Alan Pardew could be in line to make a stunning bid to bring Carroll back to his native North East.

The stunning development follows reports that a top agent rang Newcastle to offer them 23-year-old Carroll for just £20m.

Newcastle rejected the proposal and a second offer of £15m plus add-ons.

The Magpies are prepared to offer £10m — £25m less than Liverpool paid for the England international just 12 months ago.

Carroll would also have to take a huge cut on his £90,000-a-week wages at Anfield.

Carroll has managed a paltry four league goals since joining from St James' Park 12 months ago and would relish the chance to rekindle the form which made him the most expensive English player in history. 

He was bought to partner Uruguayan star Luis Suarez in the wake of Fernando Torres' record £50m switch to Chelsea.

But the pair have failed to hit it off — and Carroll has grown increasingly frustrated with his bit-part role.

Carroll couldn't even making the starting line-up for Friday's FA Cup tie against League One side Oldham and had to wait 87 minutes before coming on as a substitute and scoring in the 5-1 victory.

Carroll is expected to start the Carling Cup semi-final with Manchester City at the Etihad Stadium on Wednesday night, but even a marked improvement in form would not halt rumours of his impending departure.

Pardew has a huge gap to plug in attack after hotshot striker Demba Ba jetted off to play at the Africa Cup of Nations last week.

The Senegal international has bagged 15 goals for the Magpies this term, including a stunner in the recent 3-0 victory over Manchester United.

The win over the Champions signalled a turnaround in fortunes for the Tyneside club who are pushing hard for Champions League football this season.

A challenge made all the harder in the absence of the Barclays Premier League's joint second top goalscorer.

Carroll bagged 11 goals in 20 appearances for Newcastle last term before his switch to Merseyside and his arrival could help the club maintain their top four ambitions.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2084948/Andy-Carroll-Newcastle-ready-bid-Liverpool-striker.html#ixzz20idU21A

Guest firetotheworks

IF he did come back I could imagine him playing out of his skin to either push through a deal to come home, or to go back to Liverpool. It's hard to get your head around because we play differently now, but I could see it working.

Long ball is the only way to get the best out of him. Technically poor generally but can strike a ball with venom and a perfecy battering ram personified. Very raw, effective if used in the right way but it is at odds with the makeup of the new look Newcastle.

From a purely footballing perspective, it's a handy upgrade on Best. Absolutely nothing more.

Not worth the drama or the outlay, and i would count 50% of his current wages in that - before anything daft like a £13-17m transfer fee.

What? :lol:

Another thing is that i honestly can't see why the player would want to come back here. If he wanted to leave Liverpool on loan, it would be to rejuvenate his career - which has taken an early wounding. But doing it here would come with a shitload of baggage: he'd have to win back the fans' hearts as well as trying to sort out his actual football. Don't see how it would be a sensible option for him, unless he's changed his mind about Pardew.

It just seems a pretty mental fit for all three parties; us, Liverpool and Carroll.

Guest Roy the Irish Magpie

He's a over rated, lanky b****x. Only good in the air, no ball ability what so ever.

We'll be taking a big step backwards if he's Demba's replacement. Ba is such a better player and goalscorer overall than Carroll, imo. I think its clear now that we've worked through a list of targets that haven't come off and our finger has slid down to Carroll.

Despite our calibre of players I'm still sceptical as to our style of play reverting back to what it was back in January/February under Pardew.

From a purely footballing perspective, it's a handy upgrade on Best. Absolutely nothing more.

Not worth the drama or the outlay, and i would count 50% of his current wages in that - before anything daft like a £13-17m transfer fee.

What? :lol:

He would still be third choice, like Best was. It would be an upgrade to our third choice striker - a potentially expensive one at that. How hard is that to understand?

Another thing is that i honestly can't see why the player would want to come back here. If he wanted to leave Liverpool on loan, it would be to rejuvenate his career - which has taken an early wounding. But doing it here would come with a shitload of baggage: he'd have to win back the fans' hearts as well as trying to sort out his actual football. Don't see how it would be a sensible option for him, unless he's changed his mind about Pardew.

It just seems a pretty mental fit for all three parties; us, Liverpool and Carroll.

Dont think he'd have to work that hard to be honest. Goal on his debut and all will be forgotton. Geordie hero returns etc etc etc

Seriously can't be arsed to read the last 15 pages, can anyone offer a summary?  More details of the deal?  Any N-O meltdowns yet?

:yao:

:angry:

:dave:

Enrique :okay:

:mike:

:undecided:

This is the very definition of a deal I'm on the fence about.

PROS:

Still quite young

Clearly loves the club and the city

Unquestionably talented, albeit perhaps in a style not conducive to attractive football

Presumably chastened after what would be an embarrassing 18 months

Loan means risk is small; I'll withhold judgment on the future fee until it's known

CONS:

How will his high wages be perceived in a tight dressing room w/ few high earners?

What role would be play? Would he be amenable to 3rd choice status?

Where would the future fee come from?

Does his presence necessitate hoofball? Can he play on the ground?

I find myself leaning more towards trusting Pards and the staff.  I don't think they would sanction it unless Carroll and the squad were onboard. Carroll is a serious talent and if a return home can't generate the best from him, we won't pay a fee, and that'll be that. If he plays to his potential, the fee will seem quite reasonable.

Quite a way to liven up a dull as fuck last few weeks, though.

On another note, Berbatov wants out at Man Utd. I know he goes against our age and wage policy so it's never going happen but I'd far prefer someone like him. Top quality player. Again, I'm not suggesting him as a possibility, just the standard of player we should be aiming for.

We'll be taking a big step backwards if he's Demba's replacement. Ba is such a better player and goalscorer overall than Carroll, imo. I think its clear now that we've worked through a list of targets that haven't come off and our finger has slid down to Carroll.

Despite our calibre of players I'm still sceptical as to our style of play reverting back to what it was back in January/February under Pardew.

I disagree with that. We've seen an opportunity after it became reasonably public knowledge that Liverpool would let him go, nothing more sinister than that.

I was against the loan idea to begin with but if we could get him back for a year and have an agreement that we get him for a certain fee then it's a good deal - if he does well then great let's have him for less than half of what we sold him for, if he bombs then he's Liverpool's expensive problem again.

Trying to get me head round this and I'm leaning towards the 'no thanks' bracket.

Unless he's seen as an impact player then he simply does not fit in to how we play now. We've evolved since he left and he has arguably gone the other way. Anyone with eyes could see our late success last season was based solely around the 4-3-3 we adopted. People on this forum were twisting about our direct play or 'hoof ball' in the middles stages. If Carroll comes then we should be prepared for plenty of that.

I would be astounded if this was the clubs solution to replace Ba should he leave, even though that is incredibly far fetched.

If the move back here completley rejuvinates him as a player and indeed as a person then it may work out, but unless he's prepared to sit on the bench and work 10x harder, then I cant work out why we need him.

Guest firetotheworks

I think there are two sides to that. You could say that he'd thrive playing and living in his home region and wants to win back the fans. Look at Pienaar. Go on, look at him.

This is the very definition of a deal I'm on the fence about.

PROS:

Still quite young

Clearly loves the club and the city

Unquestionably talented, albeit perhaps in a style not conducive to attractive football

Presumably chastened after what would be an embarrassing 18 months

Loan means risk is small; I'll withhold judgment on the future fee until it's known

CONS:

How will his high wages be perceived in a tight dressing room w/ few high earners?

What role would be play? Would he be amenable to 3rd choice status?

Where would the future fee come from?

Does his presence necessitate hoofball? Can he play on the ground?

I find myself leaning more towards trusting Pards and the staff.  I don't think they would sanction it unless Carroll and the squad were onboard. Carroll is a serious talent and if a return home can't generate the best from him, we won't pay a fee, and that'll be that. If he plays to his potential, the fee will seem quite reasonable.

Quite a way to liven up a dull as fuck last few weeks, though.

Ah, that'd be why he pissed off as soon as Mr Megabucks came along, then.

I think his game on the deck is OK to be honest and he would offer us a different option to that of what we have at the moment. There were times last season when we still went very direct and when he was he - we were hardly Wimbledon in terms of our approach play. Would still be a good deal for the club if we could get him back for £10-15million. Certainly makes a mug out of the red scousers.