West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pardew has stated that he wants him but he will have no input in the actual negotiation stages is what he means I would imagine. Like Dinho has said, it will happen with pretty much every manager.

What other deals have we done since Pardew has been here where he's said this or similar? Genuine question if there are any.

Just because he isn't recycling soundbytes doesn't mean there's anything strange going on, although i'm sure he's said similar things in the past that alude to him not really knowing much and just letting the board sort it out.

It sounded totally non-committal from Pardew to me, like he doesn't know much about it.

I'm happy with another body, but 13 million will get you a top class striker these days, and I'll be seriously pissed off if we buy another square peg (that will probably sit on the bench!) for this 4-3-3 we've been developing.

Pardew has stated that he wants him but he will have no input in the actual negotiation stages is what he means I would imagine. Like Dinho has said, it will happen with pretty much every manager.

What other deals have we done since Pardew has been here where he's said this or similar? Genuine question if there are any.

How many of them happened while he was 1000 miles away from it? I just took that he meant he wasnt in the loop as he was concentrating on the pre-season work over there in Germany rather than anything else.

Only the same as when we sent Llambias and Charnley out to Holland to discuss De Jong tbf.

I'm not saying there's definitely anything untoward about this, but it's the first time that I can remember reading Pardew's comments on a potential signing and feeling unsure about whether he's actively involved in whether or not it's a good idea. Something they've always been at pains to point out since the whole management structure was changed back. Pardew clearly rates Carroll as a player, but that doesn't mean he believes he'd actually fit in with the current team. The De Jong bid felt calculated and I could believe Pardew being involved, this sounds a bit different.

The quotes aren't that worrying I guess, it was always obvious that this wasn't a deal that Pards would have instigated himself IMO.

He's not going to looking at his squad and transfer targets and actively decide we should go after Carroll. It seems unlikely anyway, more likely the club have seen an opportunity to get one over on Liverpool and Pards has just said it's fine if it happens.

Honestly man.

Unless there's monetary gain from the deal we'll not try and sign a player just to "get one over" on another team, that would just be a waste of Mike Ashley's money. Is it really that hard to believe that Pardew, Carver and the team have had Carroll on their radar and have sensed a good opportunity to strike?

The quotes aren't that worrying I guess, it was always obvious that this wasn't a deal that Pards would have instigated himself IMO.

He's not going to looking at his squad and transfer targets and actively decide we should go after Carroll. It seems unlikely anyway, more likely the club have seen an opportunity to get one over on Liverpool and Pards has just said it's fine if it happens.

This is what I'm worried about. Obviously Pardew rates Carroll, and wouldn't be unhappy to get him, but in my opinion nothing has ever come of Chairmen/members of the board buying players for managers.

If they don't fit in tactically, we'll either have a disjointed start to the season, trying to fit everyone into one formation, or we'll end up with one on the bench and start getting unhappy players who are worth double figures. Makes no sense to me.

- Manager tells scouts what positions he needs players for

- Scouts identify suitable players

- Manager discusses list of players identified with scouts

- Manager goes to check them out himself

- Manager says yes or no to players, or gives a list of preferred options

- Manager/Chief scout meet with top brass to present their list of players

- Top brass try to sign players, hammer out financials etc.

- Manager meets with players to persuade them to come to the club.

Based on what we know and what we can gather, this is how our transfer process operates. Not very difficult to understand. Given that we already know who Andy Carroll is and what he is capable of, I imagine we've been able to bypass 1-4. Pardew has obviously said yes to Andy Carroll, which leaves the last 2 points to be taken care of.

How many of them happened while he was 1000 miles away from it? I just took that he meant he wasnt in the loop as he was concentrating on the pre-season work over there in Germany rather than anything else.

Only the same as when we sent Llambias and Charnley out to Holland to discuss De Jong tbf.

I'm not saying there's definitely anything untoward about this, but it's the first time that I can remember reading Pardew's comments on a potential signing and feeling unsure about whether he's actively involved in whether or not it's a good idea. Something they've always been at pains to point out since the whole management structure was changed back. Pardew clearly rates Carroll as a player, but that doesn't mean he believes he'd actually fit in with the current team.

:thup: Much better than I put it.

If Pardew didn't think that Carroll would fit-in in his squad, then I'm sure he would have told them so.

What they gonna do? Sack him?!

Sarcasm? :laugh:

They gonna sack him just for disagreeing with their opinion, are they?

Was the "cockney mafia" banner your idea, by any chance? :laugh:

Just saying that buying a player regardless of the manager's desires isn't exactly unheard of in Newcastle.

Btw loads of people have expressed concerns in here about Carroll fitting into our system, and wondered why Pardew would want him for the kind of money we're talking about. Join the dots. :lol:

I'm not saying there's definitely anything untoward about this, but it's the first time that I can remember reading Pardew's comments on a potential signing and feeling unsure about whether he's actively involved in whether or not it's a good idea. Something they've always been at pains to point out since the whole management structure was changed back. Pardew clearly rates Carroll as a player, but that doesn't mean he believes he'd actually fit in with the current team.

He doesn't have to be actively involved anyway. At this stage of the negotiating, all he has to do is give them his footballing opinion about signing him back and the rest is between MA & DL and the Liverpool board.

The only other stage that I would expect Pardew to be in further involved in is when trying to sell the club to the player and explaining to him where he'd fit in. (Obviously in this instance, the former is not relevant.) 

Nothing weird in those quotes imo, Pardew's been really supportive of Carroll and praising him for ages,  think he always knew there was a chance he'd come back. Plus as others have said its totally normal for deals to be done above the managers head, it's the way it works.

Couple good transfer windows and people seem to think its ridiculous to be suspicious of these kinds of comments from the manager  ??? Have we forgotten everything that has happened in the past?

Im not saying there's definitely something fishy about it but I think its fair enough to wonder the motivation behind this. Still think its down to Ashley's ego...

I'm starting to want this more now after seeing the depth options we have at striker. I mean, let's say our depth weak points suffer problems this season. At Fullback, Simpson/Raylor/Santon/Jonas aren't too shabby. At CB, Williamson and Perch give their best on the pitch despite their limitations, and they share a good understanding. But the thought of being deprived of the Dembas would leave us with Shola and Xisco, or Shola up top on his own, and that's possibly the worst of the fallback options we have. With that, I think I'd be happier now with a new striker more than anything else.

We need a striker yes, but i fail to see why that should be Carroll. There a plenty of options around especially for the price being mooted.

I would feel a bit annoyed even if we paid 10m, that would be the joint most in the Ashley era ffs.

I really hope Liverpool force us to look elsewhere.

If this wasnt Pardew's wish then I'm uncomfortable with that. I know Pardew has always said he still rates Carroll, and his quotes last week did hint he knew they were in for him, just hope its something he definetely wants to happen and would be confident of getting the best out of him, Ba & Cisse.

Couple good transfer windows and people seem to think its ridiculous to be suspicious of these kinds of comments from the manager  ??? Have we forgotten everything that has happened in the past?

Im not saying there's definitely something fishy about it but I think its fair enough to wonder the motivation behind this. Still think its down to Ashley's ego...

People are speculating and reading into a few throw away quotes because it fits into their opinion that Carroll will not fit into the squad imo, they may be right on the latter part we'll have to see.

As for Ashley's ego, he isn't going to spend £10m+ just for a laugh. Think about what yous are suggesting man, Mike Ashley, one of the countries top buisnessmen and a lover of money, is sanctioning a £13m bid for a player we don't want or need just to 'get one over' on Liverpool and satisfy his own ego?

People are speculating and reading into a few throw away quotes because it fits into their opinion that Carroll will not fit into the squad imo, they may be right on the latter part we'll have to see.

As for Ashley's ego, he isn't going to spend £10m+ just for a laugh. Think about what yous are suggesting man, Mike Ashley, one of the countries top buisnessmen and a lover of money, is sanctioning a £13m bid for a player we don't want or need just to 'get one over' on Liverpool and satisfy his own ego?

Not quite true that mate, I've said a few times that I'm open-minded about it.

Well obviously he also thinks its a good deal to buy someone for 15m that he sold for 35m. He's a business man after all....

Not quite true that mate, I've said a few times that I'm open-minded about it.

Fair enough, we'll probably get some new quotes in the coming days from Pardew that will clear things up but it just seems like wild speculation to me at the minute.

Is anyone actually insinuating that we are targeting Carroll because the owner wants him, and is going over the manager's head? :lol:

Why is that so hilarious? We already to know that signings aren't made by Pardew alone, but more of a team between Carr, Pards and Derek.

Exactly! Therefore I find it "hilarious" that people are now jumping to a conclusion whereby Pardew is being undermined.